Recent 8400 sightings.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...it went down on the Star. Why would the switch a bunch of cars around just for the heck of it, to send it north on the Meteor?

You're right - I thought it went down on the Meteor. But if it went down on the 1st, I would have thought that it would have returned on the 2nd. Do trainsets spend 48 hours in MIA before turning back?

I guess, though, I am more disappointed than suprised. The NB Meteor comes through my town around 7 PM and Star about 1 AM (though tonight it should be around midnight because of the schedule shift...).

Last edited by a moderator:
8400 is heading south out of Orlando right now on 91....
423098_199805850165468_1025227040_n.jpg
312332_199805846832135_1030843553_n.jpg
I missed seeing it from the outside when it passed through Orlando today, but I was fortunate to be among the first to dine in it on LSL on its maiden journey in October 2011. Thanks for the photos. I am trying to figure out your location.
This was at the north end of Taft yard. Looking for some better pics today :)

You're right - I thought it went down on the Meteor. But if it went down on the 1st, I would have thought that it would have returned on the 2nd. Do trainsets spend 48 hours in MIA before turning back?
I guess, though, I am more disappointed than suprised. The NB Meteor comes through my town around 7 PM and Star about 1 AM (though tonight it should be around midnight because of the schedule shift...).
There was no Amtrak service in Florida south of Jax this weekend. The bridge over the St Johns River north of Sanford has been getting some improvements for Sunrail.

Well I could easily catch this if I wanted too. I don't live too far away from the Winter Park Amtrak station. I won't though, cause by 2014 there will be 25 of these running around the east coast any way. :p I'll probably end up catching it by dumb luck one of these days just like I did with all the heritage units. I have a lot of images of those that I have not uploaded as of yet. ;)

Heading back north on 92 (04) today. Note that the Silver Star is running 1 hour earlier through Florida today.
Did you see it? If it is running late, it will be dark when it passes through Orlando. There are tracks less than a mile from my home where I could grab a look, but may not be able to see anything.

Did see it. Almost missed it because I was expecting it at 1:27 pm, not 12:27 pm. Fortunately, I thought about the schedule change at about 12:15, and headed down to the tracks with 5 minutes to spare.

If you weren't expecting it, you'd think the Star was running with three sleepers and no diner.

541598_201375843341802_1004736845_n.jpg

8400 in Orlando last night. OBS says 8400 will be on 91/92 for a little while to allow the crew to become familiar with it. The only complaint they had was the lack of storage, but said the kitchen is very large and passengers and crew are very pleased with the diner.

8400 was on #20(11) as it went through WAS today. It threw me for a loop, I was on NER 174 and we were in WAS for our crew/engine change. I was out on the platform seeing what I could see. I watched 98, with its 3 Viewliner sleepers pull out, and then in pulls a train with three Viewliners in a row, but no diner. I'm left thinking "What the...?" Then the train stops and just down from me a chef gets out of the first Viewliner, which momentarily confused me even more. Finally it sunk in when, as I walked over to ask him what train he was on, I saw the number 8400. I asked him how he liked it it. He smiled and said it was pretty nice. It looks NICE inside! :)

It's on 91(13).
jb
Cool. May try to "Catch It" behind my work.
Saw it go by. Got to the parking area near the tracks just as the train was in earshot (no horn). Since I'm not a true rail fan, I did not have any camera ready to take a pic or video.
Ok...not a true rail fan? If you not just looked but posted, about a one-of-a-kind Viewliner, that you even know what 8400 is..... you ARE A RAILFAN! :D . Thanks for the update! I hope that damn job I have to do doesnt keep me from some daylight pics! Carry on!

OK, maybe what I meant to say is I'm not a foamer.

The only special effort I made to see 8400 yesterday was to go to lunch 15 mins early so I'd be outside for my walk when it rolled by and was lucky enough to be in the back and near the clearing in the trees& bushes when I heard 91 coming. Oh, I did check the status too to make sure 91 was running on time.

:)

8400 is on yet another train. I expected 8400 to be on 92(15) but was surprised this afternoon to see it on 98(15). It looks great in a 4 viewliner group. I missed a photo op in Orlando, so I raced to Sanford to see 98 and 52. 98 is currently 1:35 behind. Here are a few hot off the press photos....

29025_207268216085898_1665900670_n.jpg

485328_207268096085910_337770001_n.jpg

379356_207268009419252_2123212417_n.jpg

555806_207270589418994_524392299_n.jpg

Hey, that last train doesn't look like Viewliners!!! :D

98's a fine looking train, nice and long - it'll look even nicer when the bag turns into a Viewliner.

Great shots, thanks for sharing. May have to bag this one tomorrow morning when it gets up here.

A 5 Viewliner train. :blink: That'll be hard to get used to.
Now all we need is some Viewliner II coaches to get the Am-Cans off the LD routes, and we can have a 4x4 or 5x5 Viewliner train, with a lowly Amfleet Cafe/Lounge in the middle... that'll be an interesting sight for sure... :giggle:

A 5 Viewliner train. :blink: That'll be hard to get used to.
In a good way!!

And Scott where the heck were you positioned in Sanford with that large swath of open clear platform to get Auto Train? Great pictures, and thanks for racing to get these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back