Red Caps; how does Amtrak decide where to have them?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be doing something wrong as I have never been able to get a red cap. Tried twice in CHI and once in LAX. Seems like I was always in the wrong line or there just weren't any red caps available (CHI twice). Any hints? Hold up a $50 bill? It's not that I really need help with my bags as I travel pretty light and am still in good shape. But I'd happily pay $5 to not have stand in line, and help with bags would be a nice plus.
In LAX there is a Seating Area over by the Baggage Room that is for Passengers that desire Red cap Service and the Red Caps Drive their Carts up the Seating and Load up there! If you are getting Off a LD Train they usually are Met by Red Caps on the platform but the Conductor or your attendant can Call one for you if None are Around! For the Coast Starlight they come to the Traxx lounge and Pick up the Sleeping car Passengers @ the lounge on their Carts!

In Chiucago, the Best Place to get redCaps is @ the Metro Lounge if you are in a slleping Car or outside the front Door of the lounge as the carts have to be Loaded in the hallway due to the lack of room in the lounge! RedCaps meet all LD Trains Arriving on the platforms but again they are in Demand so ask if they arent there when you need them!

Of course Tips are Apprerciated and Proper! They work Hard for the Money! ;)
At LAX I waited by the Baggage Room but there was no line and when I asked a Redcap he just said "stand here". Then when the next two Redcaps showed up they helped a bunch of people who were seated. Will try Traxx lounge next time. At CHI, I was in the lounge, they called a redcap, called again, called again and I finally just walked. Maybe the solution is to call one, then wait outside the doors. Or at least look first outside the doors to see how many people are ahead of me. So thanks, Jim, good info.

At LAX I waited by the Baggage Room but there was no line and when I asked a Redcap he just said "stand here". Then when the next two Redcaps showed up they helped a bunch of people who were seated. Will try Traxx lounge next time. At CHI, I was in the lounge, they called a redcap, called again, called again and I finally just walked. Maybe the solution is to call one, then wait outside the doors. Or at least look first outside the doors to see how many people are ahead of me. So thanks, Jim, good info.
In Chicago were you boarding a short distance train or a long distance?

I ask only because for the LD's, they make an announcement for those needing help to come to the front of the lounge where there are usually several Redcaps waiting to help people. For the shorts, that's a horse of a different color. It could be that at the time of your train they were all out working an arriving/departing LD, which is why no one showed. Regardless, it is unfortunate that no one showed up. Were you able to overhear the radio calls between the attendants & the Redcaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back