Redeeming two members' points for a trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
I will be taking a trip sometime this winter with my mother. We will each be using a 2-zone roomette redemption for this trip. She has the 20,000 points for one way, I have the 20,000 points for the other. Should we just make two separate calls to book this, or would it be possible (and permissible) to handle it all on the same phone call to AGR?

I would suggest to NOT make it a round trip reservation. But I would assume you could book two one-ways during the same call.

That is what I was thinking as well. I should add that this will not be a roundtrip anyway, as there will be a couple of other segments (during the day, and in coach, on our dime) and hotel stays in between the two parts that we are going to redeem points for. We are wanting to do a roomette from MEM-DAV (via the City and Zephyr) on one redemption, and LAX-MEM (via the Texas Eagle and City) on the other one.

I would suggest to NOT make it a round trip reservation. But I would assume you could book two one-ways during the same call.
I have done this before using my Points one way and a friend's Points the other. It was easily handled on one call with the same Agent and I did not even have to hand off the phone to my friend. I'm not even sure you can do true Round Trips on AGR since the Redemptions are based on One Way travel.

I have done this before using my Points one way and a friend's Points the other. It was easily handled on one call with the same Agent and I did not even have to hand off the phone to my friend. I'm not even sure you can do true Round Trips on AGR since the Redemptions are based on One Way travel.
That is good to know - it would be much simpler to do it that way. And you're right, AGR redemptions are one way only.

Since you are both traveling on the ticket, you can call and give them both AGR numbers. I do this with my points and my boyfriend's points all the time.

I was able to book one way with my points and one way with the Mrs. points, no problem.

I don't get the point of booking anything as a round trip with Amtrak. I would rather book two one ways.
It just makes for an easier booking process (usually) and is less paperwork and record keeping for the pax, but as several folks have mentioned if something goes wrong, it can scupper the entire remaining res.

Back