Redundant Questions - GBB Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeckysBarn

Lead Service Attendant
I know some of these questions have been asked and answered before, but I can't find 'em:

Galesburg layover - Assuming the CZ is on time into GBB and the weather is cooperative, what is within a few blocks of the station to help pass the time? (east & west bound CZ) I'll be traveling to/from SPI late Dec / early Jan.

If the east bound CZ is really late into GBB, what happens with my bus connection to SPI? I know I could go into CHI to catch the next possible Lincoln Service. But if CZ comes into GBB say after 7pm, will Amtrak put me up in GBB or in CHI? I just like to know all the "what if" scenarios.

Instead of the usually Turkey trip to SJC area, I will also be going to Spain in Dec. We're going to try to catch the HSR from Barcelona to Madrid. Advice, suggestions, experiences?

There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, and an antique shop a few blocks away.

As for what happens if you're late: what is your final destination? Is it SPI, or is it some other city with a Lincoln Service connection? That can make a difference in how your accommodation is handled. All said, though, if your train is running really late, you'll have to listen to announcements and/or find a conductor to find out how things are being handled, because connections in some of the non-hub cities are often handled on a case-by-case basis (sometimes, even reaccommodating missed connections in places like Chicago can vary from case to case).

I wouldn't count on a hotel in either GBB or CHI, especially if you're only going to Springfield. If you were that late and there were enough people making the connection, they might find another bus (if the first bus couldn't hold), or a van, or even hire a few taxis to get you to Springfield.

Instead of the usually Turkey trip to SJC area, I will also be going to Spain in Dec. We're going to try to catch the HSR from Barcelona to Madrid. Advice, suggestions, experiences?
Have you already booked?

If you can, do try and spend some days in Barcelona. There's really so much to do and see (but do keep a look out for pickpockets as they are fairly rampant in some parts). So keep valuables in inside pockets and be wary of any tricks that might distract you from your luggage ( a common trick involves them throwing some dirt onto you or your luggage and then offering to help clean it up, so don't fall for it)

But with the usual precautions you should be fine. Have breakfast on the Ramblas, visit the Park Guell and the Sagrada Familia. Walk through teh narrow aleyways of the old city and have dinner in one of the quaint old restaurants there.

In terms of railfan stuff (if you have time), do the railroad museum in Vilanova de la Geltriu and do the Montserrat rack railway.

There is a very nice coffee shop about 2 blocks North on Seminary Street, just past Main. Also Crappies Bar & Grill on Main just east of Seminary.

Buy tickets in Spain. In my experience, AVE tickets cost more from RailEurope than they do from RENFE directly.

Also, make sure to take the express. The local and express trains have the same equipment, etc., but the local is slow. The express sometimes costs more on RailEurope (they have a limited amount of seats they're allowed to sell), but in Spain I encountered no price difference between trains of the two service patterns.

For Spain, everything but the train has been booked. We'll be spending most of the time in Barcelona. Thank you for the tourist tips. I'll make sure my travel planner (son) knows about where to buy the express tickets.

SPI is my final destination. (Hard as I try, they just won't let me off at the crossing about ten miles south - that's about 1/2 mile from my house! :( ) One year the train was late into Chicago. I missed the 5pm connection to Lincoln service & only had about 10 minutes to spare on the last LS of the day. I know Amtrak will take care of me if the train is late, I just had no clue what it would be.

Coffee shop & antique store are about my speed. Hopefully everything is one time & the weather is mild enough to allow me to explore Galesburg.

For Spain, everything but the train has been booked. We'll be spending most of the time in Barcelona. Thank you for the tourist tips. I'll make sure my travel planner (son) knows about where to buy the express tickets.
I would suggest buying the train tickets online in advance, as there can be significant discounts available. This page has detailed information on how to use the Renfe site. Some people have reported being able to get the discounted tickets from Rail Europe or from rumbo.es with a small markup or service fee. If you wait until arriving in Barcelona the tickets you want may be sold out, making it necessary to pay full fare or take a train at a less desirable time. The AVE is a smooth, fast ride. Enjoy!

I would suggest buying the train tickets online in advance, as there can be significant discounts available. This page has detailed information on how to use the Renfe site. Some people have reported being able to get the discounted tickets from Rail Europe or from rumbo.es with a small markup or service fee. If you wait until arriving in Barcelona the tickets you want may be sold out, making it necessary to pay full fare or take a train at a less desirable time. The AVE is a smooth, fast ride. Enjoy!
My experiences have been quite different than what you're saying. I have not had any difficulty getting seats between Barcelona and Madrid from RENFE. I have, however, gotten terrible seat selections and terrible prices from RailEurope.

Galesburg layover - Assuming the CZ is on time into GBB and the weather is cooperative, what is within a few blocks of the station to help pass the time?
How about the Galesburg Railroad Museum
When we were there returning from the Gathering in SEA there was a sign posted on the door sayin: "Closed for the Season!" (Winter???)
Your right, open April 5th to September 30th. It will be open next summer when we are there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back