Regarding a CZ Guidebook I have

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pianocat

Lead Service Attendant
In 2011 I took the CZ from CHI to SLC on a Vacations By Rail tour. One of the 'perks' was a book the company sent to all pax ahead of the trip so we could read up about the DEN-SLC phenomenal scenery. It's paperback, spiral bound, titled "A Guidebook to Amtrak's California Zephyr" compiled by Eva Hoffman. I took the book with me on that journey and it was really fascinating learning about little places along the way. It details most of the Railroad mileposts along the route with trivia, facts, and otherwise simply delightful anecdotes about what we were viewing at that moment. Also, chock-full of great color photos.
Of course, the VBR logo and phone number is plastered all over the cover, but the original publisher inside the front cover is Flashing Yellow Guidebooks. Not sure this is widely available to the public? Included in the book was an order form for other guides regarding other Amtrak routes so I'm hoping it's actually published, and not just available from the VBR group.
With many people taking the CZ out to the Gathering this October, I'd be happy to share this book in advance by sending it to anyone interested in reading up ahead of time. If you're interested, PM me a place to send it and I'll get it to you! [prefer to keep this to people booked on the CZ for the Gathering or have a trip coming up on the Zephyr, as those are the ones who'd benefit most]
I remember the scenery out of Denver as perhaps the most spectacular stuff this country has to offer, even though my fear of heights kept me from looking out the windows much! But here I go again....maybe I've actually conquered that fear by doing it once.
If you know anything about this particular Guidebook I'd be curious to know if it's available - or if you want to borrow it - just let me know. I'll happily mail it to you. Pianocat

I tried an online search, there is also a SW Chief book in the series. Of course, the top results were AU threads.

Based on prices on this page, you might want to sell your copy instead of lending it out!

An e-book library has copies of both books here.

And I found one free download, not providing a link because I don't know if it is provided with publisher's permission or stolen.

It was available at the gift shop at the Grand Junction station last time I was there (in 2012). $13.00 for each of the 3 volumes (Chicago to Denver, Denver to SLC, SLC to San Francisco).

Order form included this address: Flashing Yellow Guidebooks, P.O. Box 3533, Evergreen CO 80437

Last edited by a moderator:
Eva Hoffman's book about the CZ route actually consists of 3 volumes: Chicago-Denver; Denver-Salt Lake City; Salt Lake City-San Francisco. Each volume can be purchased inside the store at the Grand Junction, CO station (as mentioned earlier); but also inside the train museum in the Glenwood Springs, CO train station, and other locations. Ms. Hoffman is a government employee based in the Rocky Mountains, and a frequent rider of the CZ. I have met many times the photographer of the Sacramento River bridge, which is shown in both "open" and "closed' positions, in the Salt Lake City - San Francisco volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back