Regional/adirondack questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a couple of questions regarding the Northeast Regional trains and the Adirondack.

From Nyp to DC, what order are the cars usually in? As in Business Class and the Quiet car. Is there a particular part of the train that's usually less busy?

And for the Adirondack, when boarding at NYP, where is the desk to check passports usually set up? Is it worth getting a red cap this time of year (March)? Are the gate numbers announced earliest on the big board in the concourse? Or in a lounge? I vaguely recall catching the Maple Leaf years ago and them announcing it in the waiting lounge first. Thanks!

On the Regionals, the car behind the engine is the Business Class car, the following car is the Quiet Car. The Cafe is in the middle of the train. In my experience the last car tends to be less busy on the westbounds. I have had best luck finding seats out of Metropark in the last car. Usually it tends to be a challenge to find a seat when boarding at Metropark specially during busy hours.

Usually the Adirondack will depart from track 5 or 6. The desk is usually setup somewhere around the Police podium in the main hall. usually you will track info in the Club Acela before it is announced to the general public.

The passport check in desk is usually set up next to the west track gates. There will usually be a line. If you're unsure or if there's no passport booth, just ask a Redcap or the person checking tickets at the Amtrak waiting area.

I recommend using a Redcap if you want to get on the Adirondack before the train number is announced on the PA system and the Departures board. The Redcap will get you and your luggage down to the train, and you will get to "preboard" before everyone else. Remember to tip the Redcap for his/her assistance.

Just a couple of questions regarding the Northeast Regional trains and the Adirondack.

From Nyp to DC, what order are the cars usually in? As in Business Class and the Quiet car. Is there a particular part of the train that's usually less busy?

And for the Adirondack, when boarding at NYP, where is the desk to check passports usually set up? Is it worth getting a red cap this time of year (March)? Are the gate numbers announced earliest on the big board in the concourse? Or in a lounge? I vaguely recall catching the Maple Leaf years ago and them announcing it in the waiting lounge first. Thanks!
Can't speak to anything regarding the Adirondack related questions. Regarding the consists, Business Class is typically first, followed by the Quiet Car, then the Cafe, then 3-5 Coaches. Some times there is also an additional coach between the Quiet Car and the Cafe. If the consist is not turned around at a wye or loop after reaching the terminal, the consist may be in the exact reverse order.

The only exception to this consist order is train 65/67 or 66. On 65/67 the Cafe/Business Class car is typically at the front, followed by three coaches, and then the Quiet Car. On 66 the Cafe/Business Class car is typically on the end.

As to your other question, I wouldn't really say there's a part of the train that's less busy than another. The Business Class load is highly dependent on the day of the week, and to a degree, the time of day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at NYP today, I saw they had a lineup area for the Maple Leaf (not the Canadian passport check desk). Is this new? I believe they had 2 lines, 1 for stations up to Albany (I think) and 1 for stations after that.

I was at NYP today, I saw they had a lineup area for the Maple Leaf (not the Canadian passport check desk). Is this new? I believe they had 2 lines, 1 for stations up to Albany (I think) and 1 for stations after that.
Relatively new. I haven't been riding nearly as regularly as I used to so I can't say when this started, but within the last 6 months or so I'd guess.

So I'm assuming with these trains you line up in these areas and board the trains? Not the usual cattle call and run for the gates like other trains from NYP?

Yes although I always cut the line using the exit concourse trick via the Lower level.

It used to unofficially go on with the regulars forming lines, now there just more organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back