Renaming New York's Amtrak train station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People have been calling Penn Station, Penn Station longer than probably all of us here have been alive and they'll probably be calling it Penn Station long after we're all dead.
Exactly!

And neither "generation x, y, or z" will ever call Sixth Avenue, "Avenue of the America's" either.... ;)

People have been calling Penn Station, Penn Station longer than probably all of us here have been alive and they'll probably be calling it Penn Station long after we're all dead.
Exactly!

And neither "generation x, y, or z" will ever call Sixth Avenue, "Avenue of the America's" either.... ;)
Only tourists call 6th Avenue that. :cool:

In the context of "old" names and sports stadiums, being from the Bay Area the three majors will always be:

• "The Coliseum"
  • "Candlestick Park"
  • "Pac Bell Park" (Yes, this one is very much Corporate branding. But AT&T Park that place is not, nor was it SBC Park after Pacific Bell went bankrupt. Besides, I sang the National Anthem there during opening season, and as such, it's always going to be "Pac Bell" for me!)

First time I ever rode a train into Chicago (the 22) I asked the SCA if that building taller than the others was Sears Tower, He looked at me and said in an imperious tone, "Yes, that's the WILLIS tower!"
He must not have been a born and raised Chicagoan!
He sure seems to have the right attitude for a Chicagoan though.

Name it anything just get it done. Penn station is the disgrace of the nation's train system.
Maybe Penn Dungeon should be renamed after Ticketmaster? Seems like a match made in heaven.

For me, Albany (NY) International Airport (near where I grew up) will always be Albany County Airport. (There was or is a financial firm in the area called Albany International.) Likewise, the airport in Glens Falls (NY) where I grew up will always be to me the Warren County Airport, not the Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport.

Most people do not even know who Floyd Bennett is, although they know who Robert Byrd is. Floyd Bennett was a member of Bryd's expidition, and during the night went for a walk. He accidently crossed the North Pole, thus he was actually the first man to walk to the North Pole. But it was Byrd's expidition so Byrd got the credit. Bennett was from the Glens Falls area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sports teams need to take lessons from this! Who in the world knows what and where "Commercia Park" "BankAmerica Park" etc. etc. ad nauseum is?

At least Wrigley Field, Soldier Field,Fenway Park, Lambeau Field, Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium are still with us!

Spare us if we ever have Chase Union Station, First Fidelty Grand Central Terminal, Budweiser Station,Wal Mart Depot etc etc.
You mean like Jefferson (Hospital) Station and AT&T Station in Philly?

http://articles.philly.com/2014-09-08/news/53527754_1_pattison-station-septa-broad-street-subway

For me, Albany (NY) International Airport (near where I grew up) will always be Albany County Airport. (There was or is a financial firm in the area called Albany International.) Likewise, the airport in Glens Falls (NY) where I grew up will always be to me the Warren County Airport, not the Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport.

Most people do not even know who Floyd Bennett is, although they know who Robert Byrd is. Floyd Bennett was a member of Bryd's expidition, and during the night went for a walk. He accidently crossed the North Pole, thus he was actually the first man to walk to the North Pole. But it was Byrd's expidition so Byrd got the credit. Bennett was from the Glens Falls area.
Never knew there was a 'Floyd Bennett Memorial Airport' in Glens Falls....

I am familiar with this Floyd Bennett Field, in Brooklyn, New York City's first commercial airport, if you don't include Newark...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Bennett_Field

Anyone here, actually call National(DCA), Reagan? If so -- SHAME!
It's crested 50 percent usage over "National" or "DCA." Plus calling it national was always moron talk. No one refers to, say, Dulles as "international" and that's the same thing.
It was not moron talk, that's how I and everyone I know refers to it. Shorter and easier to say than "DCA", and it'll never be referred to as "Reagan".

I lived in Washington for 30 years and flew in and out of all three DC area Airports many, many times.

The old Baltimore Friendship became BWI/Thurgood Marshall ( Baltimore Washington/Marshall Intl.)and some old timers might still call it Friendship, but most just say BWI.

Dulles Intl. was always just Dulles.(the Airport out in the sticks,!)

National ( DCA) was always called National, I've never heard anyone call it Reagan. I'm sure some worshipers of the Gipper might use that, but I don't hang out with any of them so I guess I'm just a moron that is stuck with saying National. Everyone in the DC Area would know what I mean!

I guess we should be thankful that most politicians don't pay much attention to trains or train stations. They would much rather stick the names of their heroes on highways, bridges or airports than on lowly train stations.

Austin-Bergstrom/Barbara Jordan Int'l. (ABI)is another, native Austinites just call it Bergstrom, the name of the Air Force Base that used to be there! ( the old Robert Mueller Airport is now an upscale Urban Village, similar to what Denver did with Stapelton!)

Jefferson might stick because "Market East" was a dumb name and "Reading Terminal" is obsolete.
AT&T is idiotic, so everyone will keep calling it Pattison... or possibly people will call it "Sports Center".

Suburban is also a dumb name; it should just be City Hall, and maybe in 100 years they'll settle down and call it that.

Jefferson might stick because "Market East" was a dumb name and "Reading Terminal" is obsolete.
AT&T is idiotic, so everyone will keep calling it Pattison... or possibly people will call it "Sports Center".

Suburban is also a dumb name; it should just be City Hall, and maybe in 100 years they'll settle down and call it that.
How about renaming Suburban Station "Broad Street".....in honor of the former main Philly terminal that stood nearby? Although that might get confused with North Broad Street, so .......never mind...... :)

Yeah, I am also yet to meet anyone in person who refers to Washington National as anything other than National.
You need to meet more people then.

It is stupid because people think "national" means, you know, "national." Like National Air and Space Museum, not "National" as in "not a customs port."

Its been renamed for almost 20 years now and the Metro station bears its name. Given the high turnover in general DC area population, its much more common in younger people.

It is stupid because people think "national" means, you know, "national." Like National Air and Space Museum, not "National" as in "not a customs port."
I'd always assumed that it was "National" in the sense of "a showpiece that the entire nation can be proud of."

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country, no one knows where Bob Hope Airport is (so there's a possibility the name could be changed).

Way too much over thinking. "National" because the name of the airport is "Washington National Airport".
Precisely.

Everyone here calls DTW "Metro" or "Metro Airport" because it's "Detroit Metro Airport" (which is actually the shortened form of "Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport and a Partridge in a Pear Tree" (because, seriously, could that name be any longer?)).

No one is under the delusion that "Metro Airport" refers to metro Lansing, metro Grand Rapids, or metro Kalamazoo or that the airport itself is metrosexual.

Being from Detroit myself, I can assure everyone that Sarah is absolutely correct! And, in fact, the "other" Detroit airport ( which is actually in Detroit), is always referred to as "City" A great long time ago, Southwest flew into City for a brief period of time ( I came in once -- a story in and of itself). I don't know when Southwest stopped flying into City.

Back