Rental Cars At PDX

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't know. (I know I should, because I spend so much time there! :p ) But If you walk next door (under 1 block) to the Green Line MAX stop (in front of the Greyhound Terminal) and take that to the Gateway Transit Center and connect to a Red Line MAX, it goes right to PDX (the airport). There you can find all the companies!

I wanted to avoid the airport fee. I found car rental near the LLoyd Center with reasonable rates.
I have never been to PDX, but am planning a trip there next summer via the Empire Builder. I have a reservation with Enterprise - the office is only a few blocks away according to the Enterprise agent. You might want to give them a call and see what they have available if you are still looking around. My rate was less than the airport rate, but I am not sure what the difference was. I didn't check any other companies; just the closest rental car to the PDX train station.

Are there rental cars available for pickup and dropoff at Portland Union Station?
I'm in PDX at this time. I have a Hertz rental, they beat Budget, don't know about Enterprise. Mine was $64 for 2 days. They have a yellow phone hot line By baggage to the location and gave me credit for a $5 cab ride, I tipped $5 and the receipt said $10. Ten was knocked off my rental fee. Most Important!!Check what time they close up for delayed arrival and sched departure. Our AGR free trip, Chi-Tus-Lax(2day delay) Lax-Pdx was flawless and very good. (Guys, go down to long beach, ca and sail to Santa Catalina for at least one night. Good,good time). PDX- CHI next. Jim

I visit Portland via Amtrak a few times a year. Love the city, and love to visit with friends there. I've successfully rented from Hertz in downtown several times. The location is very close to Union Station, and as long as you make the arrangements in advance, they can pick you up at the station, or pay for your taxi fare to their location. Check out the Hertz location details here.

Cheers,

David

Several years ago I rented a car from the Hertz office that services the Amtrak depot. I was coming in on the CS, scheduled to arrive very close to their closing time and actually arriving much, much later. He kept track of the train and sent my car (with hand controls, so it can't be just any car) to the airport for me. At the airport, I got the much lower non-airport prices plus they paid the cab and tip. When I left on the EB a couple of days later, I was able to return the car to the train depot, where Hertz met me.

There's an Enterprise office downtown, a couple blocks from the station. They'll come pick you up after your train arrives.

Several years ago I rented a car from the Hertz office that services the Amtrak depot. I was coming in on the CS, scheduled to arrive very close to their closing time and actually arriving much, much later. He kept track of the train and sent my car (with hand controls, so it can't be just any car) to the airport for me. At the airport, I got the much lower non-airport prices plus they paid the cab and tip. When I left on the EB a couple of days later, I was able to return the car to the train depot, where Hertz met me.
Alice, I followed the same route you did in early July and was concerned that the CS would present a problem with the arrival time. I opt to take a cab to the airport at a cost of $40 (tip included) and was also reimbursed by Hertz. The nice part was that I got AGR points for the $40 and the reimbursement as well! The next day I added another to the rental and when leaving PDX he dropped me off at the Amtrak station then turned in the car at the airport and picked up another for his own usage. Note that the same car was not kept because it was not available for the additional days!

It looks like both Hertz and Enterprise are on SW Pine, about a block apart, a few blocks south of Union Station. I would suggest getting a cab or having someone from the car-rental agency pick you up if using either service. Although it may have improved in recent years, getting to SW Pine from Union Station requires crossing W. Burnside, Portland's Skid Road (or Skid Row). I would not recommend walking it.

On edit: I see that Hertz has its "Local Edition" office at Union Station. I'm not sure what the differences are between this and the Pine St. location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back