Rental Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
I am thinking of a trip west next summer, either the CZ or the EB (or both), and was curious if anyone knows of a listing that shows which stations have rentals cars at the station or near by. It would be extremely helpful!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always have great luck and prices with Enterprise, and if you go to their website, you can quickly find off airport locations listed for your cities. And in addition, most of the locations offer $9.99 a day weekend rentals with 150 miles per day or $19.99 unlimited miles. And you get AGR Points to boot!

+1 for Enterprise, because regardless of where you end up, the station will almost certainly be within reach of their free collection and delivery service. Just give the branch a call when you arrive.

Not that this is necessarily of any use to you now, but in the past I believe the Amtrak timetable listed which stations had rental cars available on site or on call in the station directory portion at the front of the timetable. However, I just glanced at the current Winter 2010-2011 timetable and it seems that is no longer listed.

Be certain to check the hours of operation for each rental car site. I have switched to Enterprise but find that several locations where I go on the train,

Enterprise has a location near but are not open when I want to rent the car or when I want to return it. I usually end up taking a taxi from the train

station to he airport to get the car.

Be certain to check the hours of operation for each rental car site. I have switched to Enterprise but find that several locations where I go on the train,

Enterprise has a location near but are not open when I want to rent the car or when I want to return it. I usually end up taking a taxi from the train

station to he airport to get the car.
Emeryville station has a Hertz desk, but I am not sure of the hours.

Side note: Was at the Syracuse NY station, there was an poster hanging by the ticket window showing all the station in New York that had car rentals. Ever one of them had an Enterprise symbol. Of course it was an poster by Enterprise, but it was nice to see they understand that there is an train system in NY, and that they are marketing to it.

There is a news section on Amtrak in Trains magizine. A recent isssue had a write up that talked about rental cars at Amtrak stations. On the Train mag website there is a full listing of the stations with rental cars.

There is an Enterprise store within sight of the Ottumwa, Iowa station, and a few weeks ago another passenger was waiting for an Enterprise pick-up at the Burlington IA depot. I think Enterprise is at the "essential" air service airport there.

There is an Enterprise store within sight of the Ottumwa, Iowa station, and a few weeks ago another passenger was waiting for an Enterprise pick-up at the Burlington IA depot. I think Enterprise is at the "essential" air service airport there.

The last time I went into Ottumwa on #5 the Enterprise office was closed and I had to stay overnight to get a car! The people in the office were not very customer unfriendly and as I was not at their office at opening time they gave my car away and made me wait over two hours before they were able to get a car for me. Not a Pleasant Experience and a phone call to complain ended with my swearing off Enterprise.

sad.gif
huh.gif
sad.gif

Another vote for Enterprise.

My train was arriving after normal hours (there are a lot of trains that arrive at stations after 5pm). Enterprise arranged to have my rental car waiting at my hotel with key and paperwork at the front desk, and had a taxi waiting at the station to bring me over to my hotel (all at no cost).

There is a news section on Amtrak in Trains magizine. A recent isssue had a write up that talked about rental cars at Amtrak stations. On the Train mag website there is a full listing of the stations with rental cars.
Here's a link
Great! Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the information.

I have used Enterprise on several occasions, once at Deland, FL station, and they provided great service. So that is an alternative.

If you happen to take the CZ to Emeryville (the last stop), there's an Avis office just a few feet from the station - first building to the right. We've used them and they're fine.

Hertz will pick you up, but their office is in a hotel about a half mile away.

If you happen to take the CZ to Emeryville (the last stop), there's an Avis office just a few feet from the station - first building to the right. We've used them and they're fine.

Hertz will pick you up, but their office is in a hotel about a half mile away.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing the information!

Not that this is necessarily of any use to you now, but in the past I believe the Amtrak timetable listed which stations had rental cars available on site or on call in the station directory portion at the front of the timetable. However, I just glanced at the current Winter 2010-2011 timetable and it seems that is no longer listed.
They omitted that info starting with the Fall 2009 timetable--an annoying decision. The timetable also used to list which stations have redcap service; another annoying deletion. I have kept an old copy of the Fall/Winter 08-09 timetable on the shelf, solely because it contains this information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back