Reroute the Texas Eagle Dallas-Fort Worth

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
The following is an opinion by the president of the Texas Association of Railroad Passengers, Tim Geeslin. He is advocating a permanent reroute of the Texas Eagle between Dallas and Fort Worth over the Trinity Railway Express (TRE, ex-Chicago, Rock Island, & Pacific) instead of the current route over Union Pacific.

--------------------

Because of a freight train derailment in Arlington Texas December 17th, Amtrak's southbound Texas Eagle was diverted from the Union Pacific line to the Trinity Railway Express line. The Texas Eagle departed Dallas on time at 1:55 PM, arrived in Fort Worth at 2:45 PM 30 minutes early saving 30 minutes of fuel & crew costs, equipment wear & tear, and reducing the per passenger subsidy. By using this "direct" route the Texas Eagle was able to avoid one of the most congested rail intersections in the country, Tower 55.

TXARP has been promoting the TRE line as a way to improve the efficiency and performance of this train. Unfortunately the TRE line has insufficient capacity to allow the Texas Eagle to operate permanently over this rail line. Higher speed rail could address this problem.

What is "higher speed rail"? An incremental approach that adds additional capacity and eliminates bottlenecks to existing rail right of ways AND won't break the bank.

Who benefits? Everyone! The highway system would be relieved of some cars and trucks. Commuter trains like the Trinity Railway Express would operate faster with additional frequencies. Intercity trains like Amtrak's Texas Eagle, that stops in communities without airline service or are in danger of losing airline service, would operate faster and more efficiently attracting more passengers and lowering the "per passenger subsidy". The freight railroads would receive badly needed capacity to address the projected increase in freight volumes.

Regards,

Tim G.

While sensible, what cities would that affect? (I.e. any major ones). Also, any plans to reroute the Sunset through Phoenix? (Yes I know its in AZ not Texas :lol: )

I also wonder if this could benefit the Texas Eagle by allowing it to stop at the DFW stop on the TRE line. I realize that the Eagle is a long-haul, yet maybe it would still get people coming from outside of the metroplex to the airport???!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back