Reservations question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentinal

Train Attendant
My apologies if I missed a proper place to ask this.

Hey all. So I'm about to make my first reservation in several years. I was about to pull the pin and get my reservation in to travel Chicago to Tampa, with a roomette near the end of August. Something has come up that now makes it a bit complicated. I have a close friend who is now going to join me on my vacation. She lives just outside of DC. And she would like to join me on the train, and travel together.

So what I'm asking is. Should I go ahead and make my reservation Chi to Tpa. (So I've got my guaranteed connection.) and then call Amtrak and add her to my Was DC to Tampa leg? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

Well, you put your finger on it, either have separate reservations, for you as an individual CHI-WAS and a separate one for both of you WAS-TPA. Or do a CHI-TPA for yourself and then add another open sleeper WAS-TPA for your friend, and lose the guarantee.

I am a bit torn but if it were me, I'd do a CHI-WAS and add an open sleeper. It is a close thing, though, I've done open sleepers and they are a pain.

I guess, at the end of the day, it would depend on how good I felt about that connection.

Seeing how late the Capital Limited has been running. Almost everyday. I'd rather keep the guaranteed connection.
Correct me if I'm wrong. If I get her an open sleeper ticket she would have to pick up a physical printed ticket at a manned station, right? That way if train 30 is late. She'd be able to board in DC, and I'd get bussed to catch up, right?

Would your friend be able to board at Rockville MD? I’m not sure, but am thinking that way you may both have a guaranteed connection in WAS. I don’t know if a WAS- TPA open sleeper will “follow” you if you miss the connection.

Seeing how late the Capital Limited has been running. Almost everyday. I'd rather keep the guaranteed connection.
Correct me if I'm wrong. If I get her an open sleeper ticket she would have to pick up a physical printed ticket at a manned station, right? That way if train 30 is late. She'd be able to board in DC, and I'd get bussed to catch up, right?
Use this tool to check the probability of a missed connection. Many days when CL #30 arrives late, SS #91 also departs late. Allowing 15 minutes for the connection, there has been a 10% probability of a miss over the past 60 days.

That's still a non-trivial probability, so it's up to you whether you want to risk it. I just wanted to point out that it's not "almost everyday."

Last edited:
Use this tool to check the probability of a missed connection. Many days when CL #30 arrives late, SS #97 also departs late. Allowing 15 minutes for the connection, there has been a 10% probability of a miss over the past 60 days.

That's still a non-trivial probability, so it's up to you whether you want to risk it. I just wanted to point out that it's not "almost everyday."
You meant to say #91 (that being the SS) not #97, right?

Thanks for all the information. Rockville, that is an idea. I didnt think of that. I would have to look to see if she can get someone to drive her up there, as she lives in Springfield, VA

This is the first time I am looking at trying to use the open sleeper ticket

Last edited:
Use this tool to check the probability of a missed connection. Many days when CL #30 arrives late, SS #91 also departs late. Allowing 15 minutes for the connection, there has been a 10% probability of a miss over the past 60 days.

Thank you, I didnt notice it had a connection tool.:thanks:

Thanks for all the information. Rockville, that is an idea. I didnt think of that. I would have to look to see if she can get someone to drive her up there, as she lives in Springfield, VA

This is the first time I am looking at trying to use the open sleeper ticket
Looks like she can get to Rockville via the Metro (Blue to Red). Takes about 1-1/2 hours. A ride would be quicker, of course.

Looks like she can get to Rockville via the Metro (Blue to Red). Takes about 1-1/2 hours. A ride would be quicker, of course.

Yeah, I'm a railfan, including both inter- and intra-city...

But, lots of track work and segment shutdowns on Metro, especially at nights and on weekends. So before planning on that connection, make sure to check Planned Metrorail Track Work | WMATA.

A ride might be quicker and might not, depending on this region's notoriously clogged traffic.

yes I've already talked to her about the possibility of boarding at Rockville, and how to get there. This is her first real train trip. So I'm doing what I can, to make sure we don't get separated. She had told me she was already thinking about taking the Metro, to get her to Union Station.
She'd probably think I was crazy if she knew how much effort, digging threw information, and asking questions to make this trip happen as easily as possible. lol

Back