Richmond, VA - Gimme the skinny....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Philzy

Train Attendant
Alright, so what is the plan for Richmond, VA and their different stations exactly? I figured that one of you educated (most likely local) types could prob give me the 411. We have two operational stations in Richmond: the I guess orginal one build in 1907 at Main Street, another at Staples Mill Rd and the third and bestest (yes, bestest) <_< most beautiful one IMHO is the Broad Street Station (Union Station) which has been transformed into a local museum.

As a child I remember my mom taking me to the Museum and the first words out of my mouth when we walked in was “what a perfect place for a train station,” go figure. :p Now, I was doing a little reading up on Richmond seeing if I could see if there was any news.

Apparently there is some but nothing in detail. Twice there is a mention of moving all Amtrak operations back to Main Street (source, source), alas nothing in concrete just a mention of it and keep going. Apparently trains go west before/after main street resulting in some trains not going to both stations? I didn’t follow that one, maybe I’m thinking backwards?

I found a page (and since lost it) talking about a problem of Henrico county not wanting to give up Staples Mill rd station and working on some type of inter-model facility. Gonna get flamed for this I’m sure but would it make sense to go back to using the Broad Street Union Station if you’re gonna do this? It too seems somewhat centrally located and if I remember correctly there is not need to back in or out as the trains can circle in and out? There is still plenty of land for that to be used as an intermodal station as well, yes, no? benefits of one station over another one?

In addition there is still a lot of mention over the net about the SEHSR, I’ll do a whole ‘nother thread on that one tho. Apparently Richmond is planned to be the terminus not DC?

Now VRE apparently has a shuttle bus from the station in Richmond to Fredericksburg(source)? There is a mention on Wiki of possible VRE extension to Richmond but no more information, maybe I overlooked this? Anyone have any data on this?

Oh, and lastly! Can someone find me a diagram of the Main Street Station? I found here that it says it’s the only tri level railroad track? Anyone care to elaborate? There are three tracks on top of each other? Or some tracks three stories above stuff? Would love to gobble up some info about this… :huh:

Thanks guys! :D

I have a feeling this could be a long post... I'll try to be succinct...

The state of VA has officially decided that Main Street will be the hub of all passenger train operations in Richmond in the long run. Right now, only Regional trains heading east to Newport News service Main Street station (2 a day, except for Friday when there are 3) because serious track work needs to be completed for trains to head south out of Main Street station. Even the Newport News trains spend a half hour just to get between Staples Mill and Main Street thanks to a packed Acca yard and what is essentially a one-track railroad right now.

The fate of Staples Mill is up in the air right now, but Henrico obviously wants to keep it. The real fight that affects if Staples Mill will remain, however, is not over the station's existence, but more over how Richmond/Virginia/CSX/Amtrak can improve the current bottleneck of service between Staples Mill and Main Street Stations. One proposal has all passenger service diverging off of the CSX line at Doswell, VA (north of Ashland) onto the Buckingham Branch line to Main Street station which would bypass Ashland and Staples Mill stations entirely. Neither Ashland or Henrico are too keen on this idea. Amtrak maintains that the current CSX route is the best bet when you consider the passenger loss by losing those two stations and the considerable track upgrades that would be necessary on the Buckingham Branch route. The alternative is to pump a lot of investment in creating some new dedicated passenger tracks on the east side of Acca yard (I think, could be mistaken--someone correct me if I am, obviously) and to double track the entire main line down to Main Street station. Not sure on the timeframe for either of the above projects.

Now... Broad Street Station is another matter entirely. Yes, I agree, it's a fantastic station and one of the most unique and noteworthy stations in the country. The reason for its noteworthiness is also the reason we won't easily see passenger service there in the foreseeable future, in my opinion.

Bill Haithcoat (I think it's Bill) is much more of an expert on how this worked, but here's the short version...

If you look at an overhead view of Broad Street station, you'll see that it sits off of the main line and is not parallel to the main line. You can also make out what was once a full loop behind the station. Aw heck... it'll be easier if I just show you...

broadstreetflow.jpg

Now, this may be confusing at first, so let me start by explaining that Broad Street Station was designed such that all trains at platform level were positioned the SAME WAY REGARDLESS OF DIRECTION OF TRAVEL. This made for a very smart looking operation, but my understanding is that it also aided in baggage handling, as all of the baggage cars were lined up and bags could be transferred easily that way. It also made for a very efficient method to dispatch trains back onto the mainline in the proper direction by using the loop track.

As things stand now, Broad Street station has had it east/south half of the loop taken away and parking lots and office buildings now occupying the space needed. Any train into or out of the station now has to back in or out of the main line, which doesn't make for a very fast station dwell time.

While you didn't specifically ask, you may also be curious to know that Virginia has committed to an additional Richmond (Staples Mill) to New York (and possibly boston) round trip to begin by this December. An eventual extension to Newport News is planned, and Amtrak/CSX/Virginia are looking at adding some additional track capacity east of Main Street Station to extend service there in the meantime while the Newport News extension track upgrades are in progress.

-Rafi

The other issue not mentioned by Rafi however is, that the tracks from Main Street headed to Newport News are just fine, but it's my understanding that the tracks across the river that head south to reconnect with the CSX mainline to Florida are not in good shape and require extensive work before passenger service can be restored to that route.

And one cannot eliminate Staple Mills until those tracks are fixed up, as eliminating Staple Mills would eliminate all service to Richmond by the Silver trains and the Palmetto, as they can't get to Main Street at present.

Main Street Station in Richmond was used by Seaboard Airline trains from the North to Florida as well as Chesapeake and Ohio trains from the west to Newport News. Broad Street Station was used by Atlantic Coast Line trains from the north to Florida. Hull Street Station in Richomd was used by the Southern Railway. After 1967 when Seaboard Airline and Atlantic Coast Line merged into Seaboard Coastline, all trains from the north to Florida were moved to Broad Street. After Amtrak started in 1971, Broad Street Station was used until Staples Mill Station was built.

C&O trains continued to use Main Street Station. After Amtrak started, the Newport News branch of the George Washington later the Cardinal continued to use Main Street Station until it was discontinued. Alan is correct. There never was a connection from Main Street Station to the former Atlantic Coast Line route that Amtrak uses south of Richmond so the former SAL line would need to be rehabed from Richmond south and maybe a new connection built at Petersburg.

One interesting piece of trivia concerning Broad Street Station is that the station architect - John Russell Pope - also designed the Jefferson Memorial in Washington DC. See if you can see a family resemblence.

Broad Street Station

Richmond_Science_Museum.jpg

Jefferson Memorial

4_jefferson_lg.jpg

I have a feeling this could be a long post... I'll try to be succinct...
The state of VA has officially decided that Main Street will be the hub of all passenger train operations in Richmond in the long run. Right now, only Regional trains heading east to Newport News service Main Street station (2 a day, except for Friday when there are 3) because serious track work needs to be completed for trains to head south out of Main Street station. Even the Newport News trains spend a half hour just to get between Staples Mill and Main Street thanks to a packed Acca yard and what is essentially a one-track railroad right now.

The fate of Staples Mill is up in the air right now, but Henrico obviously wants to keep it. The real fight that affects if Staples Mill will remain, however, is not over the station's existence, but more over how Richmond/Virginia/CSX/Amtrak can improve the current bottleneck of service between Staples Mill and Main Street Stations. One proposal has all passenger service diverging off of the CSX line at Doswell, VA (north of Ashland) onto the Buckingham Branch line to Main Street station which would bypass Ashland and Staples Mill stations entirely. Neither Ashland or Henrico are too keen on this idea. Amtrak maintains that the current CSX route is the best bet when you consider the passenger loss by losing those two stations and the considerable track upgrades that would be necessary on the Buckingham Branch route. The alternative is to pump a lot of investment in creating some new dedicated passenger tracks on the east side of Acca yard (I think, could be mistaken--someone correct me if I am, obviously) and to double track the entire main line down to Main Street station. Not sure on the timeframe for either of the above projects.

Now... Broad Street Station is another matter entirely. Yes, I agree, it's a fantastic station and one of the most unique and noteworthy stations in the country. The reason for its noteworthiness is also the reason we won't easily see passenger service there in the foreseeable future, in my opinion.

Bill Haithcoat (I think it's Bill) is much more of an expert on how this worked, but here's the short version...

If you look at an overhead view of Broad Street station, you'll see that it sits off of the main line and is not parallel to the main line. You can also make out what was once a full loop behind the station. Aw heck... it'll be easier if I just show you...

broadstreetflow.jpg

Now, this may be confusing at first, so let me start by explaining that Broad Street Station was designed such that all trains at platform level were positioned the SAME WAY REGARDLESS OF DIRECTION OF TRAVEL. This made for a very smart looking operation, but my understanding is that it also aided in baggage handling, as all of the baggage cars were lined up and bags could be transferred easily that way. It also made for a very efficient method to dispatch trains back onto the mainline in the proper direction by using the loop track.

As things stand now, Broad Street station has had it east/south half of the loop taken away and parking lots and office buildings now occupying the space needed. Any train into or out of the station now has to back in or out of the main line, which doesn't make for a very fast station dwell time.

While you didn't specifically ask, you may also be curious to know that Virginia has committed to an additional Richmond (Staples Mill) to New York (and possibly boston) round trip to begin by this December. An eventual extension to Newport News is planned, and Amtrak/CSX/Virginia are looking at adding some additional track capacity east of Main Street Station to extend service there in the meantime while the Newport News extension track upgrades are in progress.

-Rafi

Thanks for the mention Rafi but I am not an expert on Richmond.

You may be thinking of posts I have written on Chattanooga or BIrmingham or Atlanta or some other city.All I know is that Richmond railroading has an illustrous history of great ACL and Seaboard trains to Florida and some other trains on other railroads.

It is a fascinating subject,but I am no authority.

I know the Broad Station is especially photogenic and that memorable shots have been made showing the East Coast Champion and other trains leaving from it.

Oh, and lastly! Can someone find me a diagram of the Main Street Station? I found here that it says it’s the only tri level railroad track? Anyone care to elaborate? There are three tracks on top of each other? Or some tracks three stories above stuff? Would love to gobble up some info about this… :huh:
So far as I know, the famous Richmond Triple Crossing is not directly related to any of the passenger stations. It's just that three railroads go through town in different directions and it was convenient for them to all cross at the same spot. The Southern got there first, and forty years later the Seaboard and C&O built bridges in exactly the same spot. Here's a great article on the history of the triple crossing, which mentions

If three trains ever passed at the crossing by coincidence--and the odds are they haven't--there were no photographers on hand. But three times since 1900 the railroads have undertaken the troublesome project of "posing" three trains at the crossing.
Three old steam engines chugged onto the crossing for the first picture in 1911. Then in 1926, when railroad officials had partly forgotten how much trouble it was, three more locomotives were photographed at the crossing.
The article is undated on the website, but it must be an article from the 1940s or so, since the article is about the third-ever staged photograph, which features an E-unit and a K-3; the article describes the photo (and the process of staging it) in great detail, but doesn't actually include the photo :( Fortunately, I found it elsewhere on the web :) :

12903-p00001-000587-080.jpg

And here's the 1926 staged photo (which was included in that article):

Triple.jpg

Perhaps in the fifty-plus years since that newspaper article three trains have run at the same time through the crossing (and some railfan photographer has been lucky enough to see it)? I found a Youtube video from 2006 that shows all three levels in use within 20 minutes of each other, but not quite simultaneously.

In Philadelphia it's always a treat to see Silverliners go under the High Line when there's a CSX freight up there, and even that two-level crossing isn't all too common.

Last edited by a moderator:
a ha! I knew you guys would have some input! Awesome read, you guys a are a wealth of knowledge!

Rafi thanks for the diagram, I had kinda figured that since a build up around the area might result in broad street not having the same ability as it once did before. Can't be any worse than backing into Tampa tho... what a nightmare that seems to be everytime I take the train there...that is for another thread tho...

Is there anywhere published online the master plan for the intermodel facility designed into the main street station? I've been looking online with various key words searchs and coming up with zilch?

So, onto another question VRE- if they do actually make an extension down to Richmond finally, which station(s) would they use?

So, onto another question VRE- if they do actually make an extension down to Richmond finally, which station(s) would they use?
They haven't even gotten that far in planning yet, and frankly, I don't think the topic is even on their near-term radar. The only thing VRE is looking at as of right now is a possible branch off of the Manassas line to Gainesville and Haymarket. So as for which station VRE would serve, my bet is that the Staples Mill debate will be long settled before VRE arrives in Richmond, and if Staples Mill is still there as an option, then I would assume it would be the first (and maybe only) stop, followed by Main Street.

-Rafi

Perhaps in the fifty-plus years since that newspaper article three trains have run at the same time through the crossing (and some railfan photographer has been lucky enough to see it)? I found a Youtube video from 2006 that shows all three levels in use within 20 minutes of each other, but not quite simultaneously.
Nice review, Will. I would add that any and all Richmond railfans that go to the annual Easter Parade on Monument Avenue should keep an eye open for a lady vendor who sells colorized B&W photographs, a large number of which are Richmond-rail related. Three of them are the infamous Triple Crossing Photos which she hand-colors. I have all three framed and on the wall-great conversation piece for railfans and non-railfans alike.

Rafi

You may be thinking of posts I have written on Chattanooga or BIrmingham or Atlanta or some other city.All I know is that Richmond railroading has an illustrous history of great ACL and Seaboard trains to Florida and some other trains on other railroads.

I know the Broad Station is especially photogenic and that memorable shots have been made showing the East Coast Champion and other trains leaving from it.
Well, shoot. Sorry for calling you out there, Bill. I could have sworn it was at least someone on the AU forum that told me about Broad St Station, though. Maybe it was George? Ah well.

Rafi

Well, shoot. Sorry for calling you out there, Bill. I could have sworn it was at least someone on the AU forum that told me about Broad St Station, though. Maybe it was George? Ah well.

Rafi
Rafi, if you can handle a little historical trivia I offer this: for some of it winter seasons the ACL Florida Special handled a sleeper dome car from Richmond to Miami. If could not operate north of Richmond for the obvious clearance reasons.

For that reason and others, some would say that the FLorida Special was the finest of the NYC- FLA trains during the streamliner era. Back in the heayvweight days it would have tough competition from Seaboard's Orange Blossom Special.

If this is a repeat, I apologize. It seems like a big role that Staple Mills plays in the Amtrak world is the fact that it's the layover point for at least a few trips. Cleaning crews, mechanical guys, and the T&E crew bases are all based out of Staple Mills. If it were eliminated, all those facilities would have to be moved, if it's even feasible to move them.

Overhead view of the famous triple crossing

If you pan to the right (north) you will shortly see Richmond Main Street Station

The track curving away to the east is the old C&O line heading to Williamsburg and Newport News. The track heading under Interstate 95 to the south is the old Seabord Air Line route to Raleigh and points south (that is before CSX ripped the track out between Petersburg and Norlina) :angry: .

If this is a repeat, I apologize. It seems like a big role that Staple Mills plays in the Amtrak world is the fact that it's the layover point for at least a few trips. Cleaning crews, mechanical guys, and the T&E crew bases are all based out of Staple Mills. If it were eliminated, all those facilities would have to be moved, if it's even feasible to move them.
There is another thing that seems to get lost in the discussion about Staples Mill Road. To the average person from the suburbs here in Richmond, downtown is a place to be avoided. As beautiful as Main St Station is, that area is viewed as an unsafe area that also floods. I will leave my car overnight on an open parking lot in the "Bottom" about the same time pigs fly. I believe that eliminating Staples Mill Road Station would actually wind up decreasing ridership in Richmond. Also, Staples Mill Road is much easier to drive to than Main St Station.

There is another thing that seems to get lost in the discussion about Staples Mill Road. To the average person from the suburbs here in Richmond, downtown is a place to be avoided. As beautiful as Main St Station is, that area is viewed as an unsafe area that also floods. I will leave my car overnight on an open parking lot in the "Bottom" about the same time pigs fly. I believe that eliminating Staples Mill Road Station would actually wind up decreasing ridership in Richmond. Also, Staples Mill Road is much easier to drive to than Main St Station.
While I understand your point and agree with you that it will be a hard pill to swallow for Richmonders to congregate at Main St Station, Amtrak's and Virginia's response is that a serious upsurge in station foot traffic on a consistent basis throughout the day and night almost always decreases the crime and vagrancy in the area and is always accompanied by a surge in police patrols. The very same topic was raised at the VARP meeting two weeks ago and the Amtrak manager who was there reiterated this point and gave out some examples of other cities that had made a similar leap.

As for flooding, my understanding is that the (ugly) flood wall erected in the 60's pretty much keeps that activity to a minimum, but even so, the planned parking structure for Main Street Station is elevated, I believe.

That said, I don't think Staples Mill is going anywhere soon, and if Amtrak plays it right, they'll keep both stations open after Main St becomes the hub at least for a few years. I think you'll see West Enders using Staples Mill almost exclusively, but the data indicates that Main Street will be a major, major station in terms of ridership from the downtown area and the fan.

Rafi

Based on the political gumflapping I hear, they'd like/plan for expanded service at Main St. Station to include connections to new city transportation. It seems reasonable that service bringing people from suburbs to the area would be able to serve both the station and the Bottom at the same time.

A few quickies, skipping the quotes that I am answering:

SAL moved their trains into Broad Street before the SAL+ACL merger. After all, RF&P handled both lines trains north of Richmond. But, pre merger, they returned to the SAL track and went right by Main Street Station on their way to Florida. Only after the merger and the building of the connection south of Petersburg did the ex-SAL passenger trains move to the ACL line going south through Petersburg.

There is a connection between the former SAL main and the former ACL main some 10 to 12 miles south of Main Street Station, but that 10 miles is now slow, I think 25 mph or so. Even when it was the main line, the SAL time between Richmond and Petersburg was slower than the ACL time. To run through Main Street will add a few minutes to the minimum run time possible for the Florida trains.

The Triple crossing is very close to Main Street Station, but only the SAL track, the middle level, accessed the station.

Based on the political gumflapping I hear, they'd like/plan for expanded service at Main St. Station to include connections to new city transportation. It seems reasonable that service bringing people from suburbs to the area would be able to serve both the station and the Bottom at the same time.
It seems that a lot of cities are realizing that by creating a "inter-model" transportation hub of sorts in these areas they can actually help boost the area's economy. I think the best and smartest one I heard was some time back (I wish I could remember which city) about using space in old stations for the police force which pushes the "oddballs" and needy people that might otherwise cause people to avoid these areas, might make people like gdj a little more comfotable with leaving one's car unattended for an extended period?

The other issue not mentioned by Rafi however is, that the tracks from Main Street headed to Newport News are just fine, but it's my understanding that the tracks across the river that head south to reconnect with the CSX mainline to Florida are not in good shape and require extensive work before passenger service can be restored to that route.
And one cannot eliminate Staple Mills until those tracks are fixed up, as eliminating Staple Mills would eliminate all service to Richmond by the Silver trains and the Palmetto, as they can't get to Main Street at present.
Yesterday at the Mid-Atlantic Zone NARP Meeting in Bordentwon NJ, Drew Galloway of Amtrak gave a presentation on NEC Capital Projects. From that presentation we learned that the Washington - Richmond section will officially become part of the NEC.

During Q&A I specifically asked him about Doswell Sub. He categorically said that Amtrak and Virginia DOT have decided not to pursue the Doswell Sub alternative (i.e. rerouting passenger trains off of RF&P at Doswell onto the ex-C&O line to Main Street thus missing Staples mill) and have decided to keep all Amtrak trains on RF&P and thus using Staples Mill. He mentioned that close to a billion dollars will be spent in constructing additional trackage south of Staples Mill to allow passenger trains to bypass Acca yard completely on their way to Main Street station. Only the Auto Train will continue to use its present route. All other trains will go via Main Street station. The connection from Main Street station towards Petersburg will be upgraded and restored for use by all trains bound for destinations south of Richmond.

I also asked him about electrification to Richmond. He said Amtrak is quite serious about it and CSX has no objections as long as it does not interfere with freight operation. A detailed study is taking place. Upon its completion a final cost estimate and go-nogo decision will be made. He did not see any inherent problem in doing an electrification that allows for Plate H clearance. This is apparently a part of the exercise of incorporating Washington - Richmond as part of NEC.

Incidentally, SEHSR then begins from Richmond and connects to Ralaigh using the ROW (substantially) of the old S-Line through Norlina.

It would then stand to reson to upgrade Washington to Richmond to at least 110mph in segments where it is easily done. Haven't heard any plans for removing the crawl through Ashland though.

I also asked him about electrification to Richmond. He said Amtrak is quite serious about it and CSX has no objections as long as it does not interfere with freight operation. A detailed study is taking place. Upon its completion a final cost estimate and go-nogo decision will be made.
Thanks for the update!

Is there any sort of timeline for the study? Is this posed as an "almost shovel-ready" project, or will it be a three year environmental impact study followed by a wait to see which direction Washington politics turn?

Is there any sort of timeline for the study? Is this posed as an "almost shovel-ready" project, or will it be a three year environmental impact study followed by a wait to see which direction Washington politics turn?
This study is targeted for completion by the end of this year, is the impression I got. I did not ask whether this project is subject to NEPA, but I would be surprised if it were not. So I do not think it is anywhere near almost shovel ready. But OTOH, my impression is, if pursued aggressively, nor is it 6 years away. But first things first. Need to get the go-nogo decision first based on the study.

BTW a NEPA EIS project should not take 3 years unless NJT is running it :) , in which case it could even take 10 years :lol:

Also remember, that electrification is only part of a bigger plan, and there is potential funding from multiple sources both federal and state involved. The other legs of the overall plan are upgrade of Washington Richmond Corridor including completion of 3rd main to Fredricksburg, and upgrade of signaling, Staples Mill - Main Street realignment and upgrade, Main Street to S-Line reconstruction etc. The work at the southern end is likely to be funded out of the SEHSR pool and not NEC extension pool.

Frankly, just knowing that Doswell is off the table for good is reason to celebrate. That cow-path could never be turned into a high speed corridor without realigning it completely at enormous cost. There was applause in the room when we heard that answer.

Yesterday at the Mid-Atlantic Zone NARP Meeting in Bordentwon NJ, Drew Galloway of Amtrak gave a presentation on NEC Capital Projects. From that presentation we learned that the Washington - Richmond section will officially become part of the NEC.
So we'd be reverting to a world where not all of the NEC is owned by passenger railroads?

I also asked him about electrification to Richmond. He said Amtrak is quite serious about it and CSX has no objections as long as it does not interfere with freight operation. A detailed study is taking place. Upon its completion a final cost estimate and go-nogo decision will be made. He did not see any inherent problem in doing an electrification that allows for Plate H clearance. This is apparently a part of the exercise of incorporating Washington - Richmond as part of NEC.
Is Plate H double stack freight?

Also, is any of this on the web somewhere other than AU? There seem to be plenty of people in Massachusetts who think there's no value in constructing bridges with double stack freight plus catenary clearance, and I'm wondering if there's some ``see, Virginia thinks this is a good idea'' argument that can be made.

Is Plate H double stack freight?
Yes.

Also, is any of this on the web somewhere other than AU?
Maybe, but I am not aware of it. We got this through Q&A at the meeting. BTW, the new Baltimore Tunnels will be Plate H and electrified too. As a matter of fact Drew Galloway quipped that in this day and age he cannot imagine why anyone would build a tunnel with less that Plate H clearance, since the cost difference between a Plate H clearance tunnel and something smaller is not that enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back