Ridge Announces New Rail Security

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
BY ELAINE S. POVICHWASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON -- Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge Monday announced new railroad security measures for long-distance and commuter trains, including greater use of bomb-sniffing dogs and a luggage inspection pilot program that could begin in New York or Washington.

Ridge would not say where the pilot program would take place, but he said it would start late next month and acknowledged that both New York City and Washington, D.C., officials are interested. He said the inspections would not be "airport type" screenings of luggage, but would not elaborate on what other methods might be employed other than to say new technology would be used.
Full article here.

This is all fine and dandy. But what stops a nut from boarding at "no mans land", WV (like Thurmond) and placing a couple bombs in a couple cars? It would be nearly impossible to do screening at many of Amtrak's station stops. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

Not to mention that one can easily bomb the tracks at some RR crossing out in the countryside, without having to go through ANY sort of airport-style security. Just stop at the crossing, or bridge, set the timer, and get away.

Frankly, I don't think airline style security will work at all with passenger railroads. However, I would feel a bit safer if bomb sniffing dogs were brought on board between high-security areas such as the Northeast Corridor where there are tunnels under threee major cities, including Washington, Baltimore, and New York. Not including other cities like Philadelphia and Boston (Back Bay) where stations are below ground. Now, whether or not passengers are carrying guns or knives with them should not be a big concern.

Amfleet said:
However, I would feel a bit safer if bomb sniffing dogs were brought on board between high-security areas such as the Northeast Corridor where there are tunnels under threee major cities, including Washington, Baltimore, and New York.
Well I can't speak for Amtrak yet, nor NJT, or the other cities that you mentioned. However, as of yesterday, police have started random train inspections on the Subways, LIRR, & Metro North.

Trains are being stopped randomly prior to entering the tunnels to Manhattan and police with bomb sniffing dogs are walking the entire train. They are also speaking to the passengers, making eye contact, and watching for things that don't seem right.

I seriously doubt that Amtrak has to worry. Any operative is going to have a diffcult enough time, he's not going to waste precious resources fiddling around in Trinidad Colorado. Maybe a big city, but then a commuter train, not a passenger train, as in Madrid.

These guys go for shock and awe, too. And an Amtrak coach blowing up in the middle of Iowa will do zilch for them.

I'd put the bomb-sniffing dogs on the commuter trains, at random.

No way to watch all the people on all the trains all the time. That's a fact.

Perhaps our government needs to start looking at root causes of terrorism instead of trying to fight them on the battlefield.

sutton said:
I seriously doubt that Amtrak has to worry. Any operative is going to have a diffcult enough time, he's not going to waste precious resources fiddling around in Trinidad Colorado. Maybe a big city, but then a commuter train, not a passenger train, as in Madrid. These guys go for shock and awe, too. And an Amtrak coach blowing up in the middle of Iowa will do zilch for them.

I'd put the bomb-sniffing dogs on the commuter trains, at random.

No way to watch all the people on all the trains all the time. That's a fact.

Perhaps our government needs to start looking at root causes of terrorism instead of trying to fight them on the battlefield.
IMHO, I don't think checks should be random and bomb sniffing dogs should be put on every train running on the NEC. It's the only way in my mind to keep things safe. In other parts of the country, engineers and railroad workers should be on the look out for suspicious activity and make sure things aren't being put on to trains that shouldn't be there.

As for finding the root cause of terrorism, well it isn't that easy. However, putting more money into homeland security seems a lot more effective than spending billions on Iraq which didn't help in any to fight off terrorism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back