Riding behind steam.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tumbleweed

OBS Chief
The age thread got me to wondering....how many of AU have rode behind a steam engine....back in the days when they were in regular use.....

I was raised on the old Northern Pacific back in the 1940's and 50's, so I did enjoy that experience.....
biggrin.gif

I've riden several times on stream trains. Chicago to San Francisco a couple of times. Seems like it was the Challenger and all 1st class sleepers. Also SF to San Antonio and back compliments of the Air Forece and also SF to Seattle. I remember a trip Chicago to SF on an early diesel, the City of San Franciso I believe, all sleeper and I was amazed that it had a barber shop on board.

The thing I remember about steam was that it sounded great but it was dirty.

My first trip on rail was behind steam on the City of Memphis between Memphis TN and Jackson TN. The second was on the same train a couple years later was diesel hauled. Unfortunately, not only is the train gone, the track is gone as well.

My Steamer days were on the SP from Central Texas to West Texas riding the Milk Runs, Mail Trains and Water Hauls! At one Time the SP ran as many as 8 Passenger trains a day on this Route! I was 12 years old before I rode on the Sunset Ltd. which was pulled by the Oh So Modern Diesel Engines! :cool:

Yes and no. I have been behind steam but too young to know it. I have ridden on many steam excursions but have never been behind regular revenue steam past the age of about four, I guess.

Never been behind revenue steam, but I've been on several steam hauled excusrions over the years.

I missed riding behind steam in regular service, but I been on many excursion trains and tourist railroads. While steam was still around during my youth, it was basically limited to freight service.

It's not a train (though it was built as a railroad ferry for the C & O) but the S.S. Badger still makes four crossings of Lake Michigan a day between Manitowoc, Wisconsin and Ludington, Michigan, powered by coal-fired steam.

I rode the steamhauled Corn Belt Special on the P&E between Peoria and Indianapolis in the early 1950 as a young child, then on the Reader Railroad on mixed train in Arkansas in the 1960s which a regularly scheduled train, but sort of an excursion and then in 1981 on an excursion from Peoria to Keokuk, IA behind NKP 759 on the TP&W. Unfortunately nothing on Amtrak.

I am going to expand on my earlier post

As several know, my first trip was from Chattanooga to Daytona Beach on the Dixie Flagler, age three. That train was at first hauled by steam (even though it was a streamliner) from Chicago and Chattanooga to Jax, diesel beyond that on the FEC.

Now, I THINK, but can never be sure, that I have some really vague memories of seeing the steam locomotive (with the fire associated with that) going around the curves all night. Mother tells me I was awake all night looking at everything.

IF that is true, those must be some of my earliest memories. No wonder I am such a pycho on the subject, on that particular train, etc.

Aside from any other trips taken during infancy, the first train ride I absolutely no joke remember for sure was from Chattanooga to Tullahoma, TN, in the first grade,about 1951. That was diesel for sure.

I did see short haul freight steam near my home in earliest school days.

I've ridden the Virginia and Truckee heritage line, though not recently. They recently lengthened it significantly, I'm going to ride its new length eventually.

It's not a train (though it was built as a railroad ferry for the C & O) but the S.S. Badger still makes four crossings of Lake Michigan a day between Manitowoc, Wisconsin and Ludington, Michigan, powered by coal-fired steam.
HA! You stole my thunder! Me too on the S.S. Badger! And yes, if you stand at the stern of the ship, depending upon the way the wind blows, you will get coal soot on you, but what trip that is. Four hours of pure bliss.
Anyone who gets anywhere near either the Michigan port of Ludington, or the Wisconsin port of Manitowoc, needs to make this a priority.

Here's the web site for the former C & O RR S.S. Badger.

Like other posters, I never got the chance to ride behind regular steam passenger service, but have on steam train excursions. And I rather enjoyed riding in the open car. Sure, it was a tad sooty, but what's a little soot when you can ride in the open air behind a steam locomotive? :cool:

I rode behind steam from Louisville to Chicago and back many times.

As a teenager railfan we would also ride from Louisville to New Albany (just across the river) for the day and back in the evening.

B&O still used steam on some of the runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SagIA77bQ

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been fortunate to have ridden many 10's of thousands of miles (er kms) pulled by steam power back in the 50s, 60s and early 70s. The most miles I have ridden behind steam were pulled by IR Broad Gauge WP Class Pacifics:

jl5.jpg

The first 16 prototypes of this were built at the Eddystone plant of Baldwin. Later Baldwin supplied another 100 or so. Then they were built in large numbers by CLC and MLW in Canada (hence their colloquial name "Canadian Engine"), and most numerously at Chittaranjan Locomotive Works in India. Some were also manufactured in Poland and Austria. A total of 755 were in service in India at one time. Now there are about half a dozen remaining, with at least three in running order.

And the next most miles ridden was pulled by IR Meter Gauge YP Class Pacifics:

g1.jpg

These were deployed not only in India, but also in East Africa and Malay Peninsula.

The third most miles ridden were behind the IR Broad Gauge WG Class Mikados:

wg.jpg

These were meant primarily to be used for freight (goods) trains, but in the later years were pulled into pinch hitting for slower passenger trains. They were manufactured in England, Scotland, Germany, Austria, USA, Japan, Switzerland, and of course in India. In all some 2400 were built. The last one was built in 1970 and was named "Antim Sitara" which means "the Last Star". Several are preserved in usable condition.

Here is a picture of preserved "Antim Sitara" (WG 10560) which sits on display at Chittaranjan Loco Park, close to its birthplace:

Picture%20211-m.jpg

HA! You stole my thunder! Me too on the S.S. Badger! And yes, if you stand at the stern of the ship, depending upon the way the wind blows, you will get coal soot on you, but what trip that is. Four hours of pure bliss.
Anyone who gets anywhere near either the Michigan port of Ludington, or the Wisconsin port of Manitowoc, needs to make this a priority.

Here's the web site for the former C & O RR S.S. Badger.

I've ridden this too. Family vacation with the parents to Mackinac Island - we did this on our way home back in 1982. (I was in high school). I have also ridden several steam excursion trains. Unfortunately, I have only ever ridden on Amtrak passenger trains: mid 70's from MSP to Duluth, and in 99 from MSP to Wisconsin Dells.

I rode behind steam from Louisville to Chicago and back many times.

As a teenager railfan we would also ride from Louisville to New Albany (just across the river) for the day and back in the evening.

B&O still used steam on some of the runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTp6jLIw01s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09SagIA77bQ
Tom, I recall that you rode a lot on the South Wind and the Buckeye. I guess the steamer you saw at that time period on the South Wind was an old model given a sleek new exterior to have a streamlined appearance?

As I recall "your" South Wind, "my" Dixie Flagler and also the City of Miami had very similar histories both as to power and to equipment.

I don't know if I ever rode in one, but I recall walking with my father on a platform and jumping back when there was a loud noise and steam. Very hazy memory.

My father might have taken me to a railroad fair in Chicago????

As Alan would say, my memory is running out of steam :eek:hboy:

N&W Pochantas, B&O Cinci to Lou., and L&N on Memphis line were all that I recall (in U.S.).

Many earlier trips before I knew I was a railfan!

N&W Pochantas, B&O Cinci to Lou., and L&N on Memphis line were all that I recall (in U.S.).

Many earlier trips before I knew I was a railfan!
Palmland, it is possible that my brain is fried. But I THINK I recall that you were on the Memphis wing of the Pan American the day the Dixieland was rammed by another train at Guthrie.

If that is so, was the Memphis Pan still steam at that time, about 1956-57? Or were there earlier trips behind steam?

If I am way off base here, my apology, I must have you confused with somebody else.

I'm really beginning to feel old being the only responder that rode fairly ofter behind steam.

I'm really beginning to feel old being the only responder that rode fairly ofter behind steam.
Well, I am do not know what year you were born, but I was born in 1944.

Each of us was born right on the cusp between steam and diesel and also between lightweight and heavyweight. A couple of years would make a remarkable difference, whereas someone just 2 or 3 years younger than I would have missed much of the old ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back