Riding on the City of New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CNW

Service Attendant
"Riding on the City of New Orleans" and staying in a guest house reputed to be the legendary "House of the Rising Sun" Just returned home from a round trip ride to NOL. I live in Arkansas 10 hours from NOL, but drove 5 hours to KCY taking the Chief to CHI another 7 hours and another 17 to NOL. It was great and all went well. I was trying to figure out where the CONO crosses the Ohio River. It was night both ways.

I wish I could have seen it. Can you see much if you are awake?

I wish I could have seen it. Can you see much if you are awake?
I don't think so, but I'll sure let you know if I'm awake during my ride on the CONO in May. What time did you pass through that area?

About 3 am going south and 1am traveling north.

Every time Ive ridden the City I have been awake when crossing the Long Bridge here, the Train goes over Slowly and the River is very wide here, so if you are awake should be able to look out during the crossing, it is in the wee hours as was said!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of the 10 or so times I've traveled on the City of New Orleans, I've only managed to stay awake (or be awake) for the Ohio River crossing once. As I recall, you can see that you are crossing a very wide river, but not a whole lot beyond that.

I saw it once in daylight when 58 was running about 10 hours late. And I spent many of trips when I was younger trying to be awake to see it in the middle of the night. It is a long bridge, and pretty high. On the Kentucky side it feels like there is a long approach to the bridge as if crossing a flood plain. I definitely would like to see this in daylight again.

The railroad bridge crosses the Ohio River a good distance east of the confluence of the two rivers. In the late summer, if someone points out exactly where to look you can 'imagine' you are looking at the Mississippi. In the late winter and throughout the spring the Ohio is out of its banks by several hundreds yards on the Il and the Ky side making the whole area within a few miles appear more like a marsh area.

The railroad bridge crosses the Ohio River a good distance east of the confluence of the two rivers. In the late summer, if someone points out exactly where to look you can 'imagine' you are looking at the Mississippi. In the late winter and throughout the spring the Ohio is out of its banks by several hundreds yards on the Il and the Ky side making the whole area within a few miles appear more like a marsh area.
It's kind of 'spooky' at night, all that water.

Keep in mind....."your seat cushions may be used for flotation purposes"....

Just kidding! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back