Riding through Sunnyside yard and Hell Gate Bridge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadonatrain

Service Attendant
Are there regular Amtrak or Metro North trains I could ride from either Penn Station or Grand Central that would let me see any of Sunnyside Yard and Hell Gate Bridge as I passed thru or over either one? I can read route maps but that isn’t an easy way in a congested area like this to know which trains go where.

Any train from Penn Station towards Boston will give you a view of Sunnyside Yard on the left as you head towards Boston and you will travel over the Hell Gate Bridge.

Also any LIRR train out of Penn Station will give you a view of Sunnyside Yard on your left as you head towards LI. LIRR trains out of Grand Central Madison won’t give you as good a view though they also pass through Harold interlocking.

You will not be passing through Sunnyside Yard on the trains from Penn Station. You will be passing to its south through Harold Interlocking. LIRR trains from Grand Central Madison pass under Sunnyside Yard.

Last edited:
If you ride the MTA NYC Subway, the Number 7 line gives you a fairly good overhead view between the Queensboro Plaza and Rawson Street stations....they run from Hudson Yard, Times Square and Grand Central stations in Manhattan out to Flushing, Queens very frequently. You could ride out, and then cross over and ride back on a single fare...the Manhattan bound train's right side facing forward would give the best view...

One of my last jobs before I retired was the construction of the first Gotham Tower building. I had an area set up where I worked that had a great the view of the yard. Lots of LIRR running through, NJT would come in in the morning and loop to be ready for PM rush, Empire service looped, the LD sets were readied, and an occasional Acela or NER heading for the HG Bridge.

If you ride the MTA NYC Subway, the Number 7 line gives you a fairly good overhead view between the Queensboro Plaza and Rawson Street stations....they run from Hudson Yard, Times Square and Grand Central stations in Manhattan out to Flushing, Queens very frequently. You could ride out, and then cross over and ride back on a single fare...the Manhattan bound train's right side facing forward would give the best view...
Also one can ride the N or W subway to the end at Astoria Ditmars Boulevard which is basically under the approach to the Hell Gate bridge

You can also ride out to Queensborough Plaza on a N, W, or 7 subway train and walk along Queens Blvd as it crosses Sunnyside Yard under the #7 el and take pictures. Take a Q32 bus, which parallels the #7 train, back to Manhattan. It offers nice views of the CIty from the Queensboro Bridge, terminating at Penn Station. Board the Q32 within 2 hours of getting on the subway with a Metrocard or OMNY for a free transfer.

Last edited:
P1020481.JPGP1020486a.JPG

Here's a couple of views from the 7 train.

Not sure if it is the same yard (Queens neighborhood names confuse me a bit) but on the 7 train right as it comes out from underground, it curves around a yard. There are usually a couple of Amtrak trains, a few LIRR and the occasional NJT waiting. Many years ago, I was able to catch a good view of the Ringling Brothers Circus train which was stored there while the circus was at MSG.

Not sure if it is the same yard (Queens neighborhood names confuse me a bit) but on the 7 train right as it comes out from underground, it curves around a yard. There are usually a couple of Amtrak trains, a few LIRR and the occasional NJT waiting. Many years ago, I was able to catch a good view of the Ringling Brothers Circus train which was stored there while the circus was at MSG.
When the 7 Train first emerges from its tunnel, after leaving the Hunters Point Avenue station, it passes by a small LIRR Yard and their Hunters Point Avenue station on the opposite side. Then it goes across the Amtrak yard further on. There is also a small LIRR yard a bit further west toward the East River, at its Long Island City terminal. You will often see Amtrak or NJT trains near Hunters Point Avenue awaiting clearance to enter the East River tunnels. At one time, Sunnyside Yard was touted as the largest passenger railroad yard. It had a lot more facilities than it currently has, including a YMCA railroad hotel for crews, a large Railway Express Agency terminal, and on its north side, a freight yard. Much of its original buildings are now gone.

Google maps shows a view of the area, including the Harold Interlocking, and the loop used to turn Amtrak trains.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...98299!4d-73.9281169!16zL20vMGMxbXJf?entry=ttu

Back