Roads vs Rails Race Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this posted anywhere....

#RoadsVsRails

A Jaguar XJL #TeamJag is currently racing the SWC from KCY - CHI (driving the legal speed limit)

If you have a Twitter acct. follow @staubio https://twitter.com/staubio

Matthew Staub is representing #TeamTrain https://twitter.com/search?q=%23TeamTrain&src=hash

Another tweeter has made a Google map showing the hourly progress. http://t.co/SsVfCMRJ

Thought someone else might enjoy, I'm having fun following and Matthew is pretty funny.

Looks like the car won by 9 minutes, but I'm sure the Amtrak passenger was much more relaxed!
If they really were driving the "legal speed limit" then a normal driver would beat the train by much more. ;)

OTOH, I'm guessing the car crew did not take the same number/length of pit stops as a normal driver

would take.

I thought it was a great social media event and I really enjoyed it.

Amtrak was tweeting too as well as a lot of other people, quite a few people learned about train travel.

The crew was aware of what was going on and the Engineer even went with Matthew to official meeting spot at 'The Bean' in Millennium Park - he posted a pic.

In the interest of fairness, the car got to leave 30 minutes early because Amtrak suggests you arrive at the station that far in advance.

You know, a roads vs. rails from New York or Washington to Hampton Roads (or vice-versa) on a day like that would actually be an interesting contest, considering the traffic snarls endemic in Virginia at certain times of the year.

You know, a roads vs. rails from New York or Washington to Hampton Roads (or vice-versa) on a day like that would actually be an interesting contest, considering the traffic snarls endemic in Virginia at certain times of the year.
Oi -- recently learned how bad the traffic can be around Hampton Roads.

Looks like the car won by 9 minutes, but I'm sure the Amtrak passenger was much more relaxed!
If they really were driving the "legal speed limit" then a normal driver would beat the train by much more. ;)

OTOH, I'm guessing the car crew did not take the same number/length of pit stops as a normal driver

would take.
But the only parallel road is US 24, and on that you can only drive 55 mph.

would take.
They probably took the one that Google Maps recommended, which is mainly interstate (and can be done, according to Google Maps, in 7h45m.)

Is there another Rail vs Road thing coming up?

From what I can gather, Roads vs Rails isn't an 'official' event.

It seem that the guy on the train, Matthew, and some pals got the idea and promoted it via Twitter by tagging Amtrak and others.

Maybe some members with Twitter accounts will put one together - that would be fun!

I'd like to see one with the Texas Eagle and the NYP - WAS idea sounds great too.

I think that the most frustrating aspect of the race would have been driving the Jaguar and having to obey the speed limits. I bet for most of the trip they were the slowest car on the road.

I think that the most frustrating aspect of the race would have been driving the Jaguar and having to obey the speed limits. I bet for most of the trip they were the slowest car on the road.
I always obey the speed limit. I don't know why they would be the slowest car on the road.

would take.
They probably took the one that Google Maps recommended, which is mainly interstate (and can be done, according to Google Maps, in 7h45m.)
Talk about an unfair race!

When I lived in Chicago back in the 70s, the Tribune, Daily News and Sun Times would periodically do a competition where 3 reporters would head to STL, one by air, one by car and one by train. They left from a common point in the Loop and had to meet at a designated point downtown STL. Back then the air always won by a hefty margin, the car usually came in second and the train third.

Now today I would imagine the air may come in at best second as that traveler now has to allow extra time for Security Theater and airport delays are much more common, not to mention still having to get to and from the airports.. The train would now probably have a good chance at coming in first, especially if there is construction or heavy traffic on the 55.

I always obey the speed limit. I don't know why they would be the slowest car on the road.

would take.
Talk about an unfair race!
Why unfair? The competition should showcase a true comparison between an average person who wants to get from KC to Chicago. That person doesn't care about the other towns that the train goes through; they just want to get to their destination which whatever means works best. Thus, a car-driving person would take the interstate, not the road that follows the train tracks, just like I'd take I-94 from Minneapolis to Fargo instead of US 10.

I thought it was a great social media event and I really enjoyed it.Amtrak was tweeting too as well as a lot of other people, quite a few people learned about train travel.

The crew was aware of what was going on and the Engineer even went with Matthew to official meeting spot at 'The Bean' in Millennium Park - he posted a pic.

In the interest of fairness, the car got to leave 30 minutes early because Amtrak suggests you arrive at the station that far in advance.
In MY humble opinion, THIS is what was unfair. Sure, Amtrak suggests you get to the station 30 minutes before departure - predominately to check bags.

When I took a day trip to Orlando in December, I literally got to the station when the train did (buying my ticket while in queue to BOARD. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back