Rookie Superliner ???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyegor

Train Attendant
We are roughly half way through our Amtrak vacation and all are enjoying it immensely. Although walking from thr PDX sleeper to the diner (after SPK of course) got to be quite a hike on 8.

Anyway, we've encountered 2 different type of Superliner sleepers and I was curious. One style had smaller bathrooms but a deep pocket designed for garment type bags in the roomettes. The other style had larger angled commode bathrooms and the roomettes had a closet instead of the space I mentioned. Too bad I can't get larger bathroom and no closet in the roomette. Which version is newer and what how many of each type are in use? Just curious. Thanks.

The car with the closets is a Superliner I. 70 sleepers were built between 1978 and 1981 by Pullman-Standard. The angled bathrooms were added to most (but not all) of the Superliner I sleepers when they were refurbished in 2005.

The car with the pocket and an open area to hang clothes is a Superliner II. 48 sleepers were built between 1993 and 1995 by Bombardier.

There's a few other minor differences between the two models of cars... But the ones you mentioned are certainly the most noticeable.

Another way to tell the diffrance is each generation of Superliners use unique type of trucks(wheel sets).

Am I wrong?? I thought roomettes didn't have a bathroom except on the viewliners there is a toilet and sink in the roomette.

That is correct. I was referring to the comon heads located in the hall. Thanks for the info and sorry for the cofusion with my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back