Room/Car Location Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the tranform on the upper level? It seems like the showers are usually downstairs.
Normally, the showers are on the lower level, but because the trans-dorm is "the OBS crew car", the showers are upstairs! :)

They would actually let a customer use their space?
Downstairs in the trans-dorm is generally crew only space except to get on and off and get to the luggage rack, that is why there is a shower upstairs on most cars trans-dorms for revenue pax.

Is the tranform on the upper level? It seems like the showers are usually downstairs.

The "Transdorm" is the long distant car that is for OBS (cooks,diner crew etc) attendants. I believe it's usually located the next car forward of the sleeper cars on the consist. If you are in #9 roomette in the adjoining sleeper the transdorm shower is just thru the doors (upper level)! I had the room on EB #8 & it is very convenient (no waiting & steps away)!!! Plus minimal traffic passing thru the doors!!!

RF
So you were in the next car, but used the transdorm facilities?
Yes, with the SCA's permission! Now that I think about it, I only remember crew members passing thru the cars but no Pax!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got back from the trip that started this thread. Enjoyed it very much. My brother was busy making his movie for the amtraktrainsportation.com contest. I'll post again when he is done and then you can check it out and hopefully vote for it! A very nice woman from Amtrak marketing met us in Chicago before we got on the train and introduced us to the train crew so they were completely fine with him using his video equipment anywhere he wanted to. The conductor and some of the attendants were even happy to do short "cameo" roles in his video. He also got video of all of the different cars and accomodations and interviewed a bunch of people on why they liked to travel on Amtrak. On the way out we were in roomette #19 the crew car which was fine. In regards to the earlier posts, we were allowed full access to both the upstairs and downstairs on the transdorm car. I even found a roomette across from the upstairs shower that had the regular seats/beds removed and had a swivel reclining chair in it that was really comfy! I don't know if it was supposed to be for crew use or what but the conductor and attendants walked by often when I was sitting in there and didn't say a thing. Really great service both ways from CHI-OMA on the CZ.

Yes, that was envisioned as the conductor's office. However most conductors prefer to head downstairs to the much larger tables so that they can spread things out a bit. Not to mention that both the conductor and the AC won't fit into that little room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back