Room/Car Location Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coachseats

Service Attendant
Hi, I have the neat opportunity to take a round trip on the CZ this SUN/MON from CHI-OMA. My brother is a finalist in the Amtrak trainsportation video contest: http://www.amtraktrainsportationvideocontest.com/ and won the trip and was kind enough to invite me along. Below is our reservation info. Could anyone tell me what room/car we are in on each leg of the trip? I've been in a sleeper before but it has been awhile and I forgot what all of the numbers mean. His first video is the "inspired on Amtrak" on the above web page. Then he will be making another one on this trip and submitting it to win the grand prize. I'll post again once his video is up so you can vote for your favorite. Thanks much!

1 5 C CHI-OMA 200P SU 28MAR 1029P 28MAR EA 019 0540 HK1

301@ R SEG # 1R 2 BASIS 2F

* MP DOF1

* MP - K201

2 6 C OMA-CHI 554A MO 29MAR 330P 29MAR EC 009 0631 HK1

... Could anyone tell me what room/car we are in on each leg of the trip?

Car 0540, room 19.

Car 0631, room 9.

301@ R SEG # 1R 2 BASIS 2F

* MP DOF1

* MP - K201

on the lines with the to.from.date.time info, see the EC 019 0540 and EC 009 0631?

That indicates the fare class EC indicates E=Standard Bedroom C=Inventory Code

Then the 019 and 009 indicate the room number

Then 0540 and 0631 are the actual car numbers on the train.

see AMTRAK Inventory Codes

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info- so in layman's terms that means we are in roomette#19 in the transition sleeper on the way out and in roomette#9 in a reg. sleeper on the way back? Should be an interesting trip!

No, the regular sleepers only go to 14. (This diagram shows the family room as 15, but I've normally seen it as "F").

IMG_1136.jpg

SuperlinerSleeper.jpg

Roomette 19 on a Superliner is in the Transition Dorm. I have been in that room and liked it. It is across the hall from a rest room

with a shower attached. Great accommodation!!

Where do you find the maps of the train cars? I would like to find one of the SWC.

Thanks. I just printed the layout out. On our way there we are in roommette 9. I see it is the last one in the car. Car 331. Is that good or bad?

Now coming back we are in car 431 room 9

Cars 331 and 431 are the 2nd sleeper on the SWC from the Dining Car. Personally, I like room 9 - many complain about track noise when the door between the cars open, but I did not notice any. ;)
When the door remains closed except when someone is moving between cars it isn't a problem, but relatively frequently my experience is the end doors stick open, and that can get pretty annoying in 9 or 10.

The doors remain open to the outside or what?
It's on the rare side to find a door that sticks open. Frankly I wonder if someone locked it open, as it's easy to do with one flip of a switch.

In fact it's far more common to find one that doesn't open properly.

And no, the door opens to the next car.

Is the tranform on the upper level? It seems like the showers are usually downstairs.

Is the tranform on the upper level? It seems like the showers are usually downstairs.

The "Transdorm" is the long distant car that is for OBS (cooks,diner crew etc) attendants. I believe it's usually located the next car forward of the sleeper cars on the consist. If you are in #9 roomette in the adjoining sleeper the transdorm shower is just thru the doors (upper level)! I had the room on EB #8 & it is very convenient (no waiting & steps away)!!! Plus minimal traffic passing thru the doors!!!

RF

Normally, the showers are on the lower level, but because the trans-dorm is "the OBS crew car", the showers are upstairs! :)
That's not always true. Just like the rules of the English language, there are exceptions to the rule. Most of the Trans/Dorms do indeed have the shower on the upper level, but there are a few cars where the shower is on the lower level.

Either way however, it is not a good idea for people in the regular sleeper to ask to use the shower in the Trans/Dorm. At least in the cars where the shower is indeed on the upper level, the shower is located off to the side of the bathroom. So if you're using that shower, you're also tying up the only bathroom that passengers in the Trans/Dorm have access to.

I'm not sure that's true -- when I was on the SWC and the toilets in my car were out, they were having us use the toilets in the Transition Sleeper. The upper bathroom was busy, so I went downstairs in the TS and used one of the bathrooms there. There weren't any "keep out!" signs and the conductor in the crew lounge area didn't say anything. I would think that would apply for people with rooms in that car too.

Last edited by a moderator:

The "Transdorm" is the long distant car that is for OBS (cooks,diner crew etc) attendants. I believe it's usually located the next car forward of the sleeper cars on the consist. If you are in #9 roomette in the adjoining sleeper the transdorm shower is just thru the doors (upper level)! I had the room on EB #8 & it is very convenient (no waiting & steps away)!!! Plus minimal traffic passing thru the doors!!!

RF
So you were in the next car, but used the transdorm facilities?

I'm not sure that's true -- when I was on the SWC and the toilets in my car were out, they were having us use the toilets in the Transition Sleeper. The upper bathroom was busy, so I went downstairs in the TS and used one of the bathrooms there. There weren't any "keep out!" signs and the conductor in the crew lounge area didn't say anything. I would think that would apply for people with rooms in that car too.
Special circumstances, so they had no choice but to allow it.

I've been in a Trans/Dorm twice, once the style where the shower is on the lower level and we passengers were of course allowed down stairs as there was no choice and the bathroom at the end of the car upstairs next to the full sleeper did not exist.

On the other occasion I was on the more common type of Trans/Dorm where there is the bathroom/shower combo at the end of the car. All passengers were told in no uncertain terms that the rest of the car was off limits and there were also signs. We weren't even allowed to use the bathroom at the center of the upper level. For that matter, we weren't even allowed to board or disembark from our car. If we wanted fresh air, and even during boarding and at our last stop, we had to use the door in the regular sleeper for egress.

Cars 331 and 431 are the 2nd sleeper on the SWC from the Dining Car. Personally, I like room 9 - many complain about track noise when the door between the cars open, but I did not notice any. ;)
cause its music to your ears LOL i bet if you don't hear the clicky clack of the rails you can't sleep and go nuts :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back