Roomette OR Bedroom - Viewliner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

des1rees

Train Attendant
I am sorry for asking so many questions - and also thank you in advance for helping me reach a decision.

We are 4 ( 2 adults and 2 children, ages 4 and 6 - both small for their ages). I have, currently, two roomette being held for us for our trip to Orlando from NC. Would you recommend getting a bedroom or the roomettes are fine?

I chose 2 roomettes for several reasons -

* DH is paranoid about brushing his teeth in front of anyone, even me. So this way, in the morning, the boys and I can be in one roomette while he does the teeth thing.

* In a bedroom, we would need to share a bunk each with a child. But here, we can each have our own bunk.

* There also might be a little more wriggle room by getting two roomettes.

Would you agree? What are your views? Having never been on a train before, I am heavily relying on your opinions.

Thanks,

D

Another thing, in the Viewliner roomette, you can drop the top buck down during the day, creating a play area or "tree fort" for the kid(s). And with the top buck down, there is still plenty of head room for any adults seated in the chairs.

I have been doing this, myself, since my kid was 4.

Des1rees,

Personally I think that it's a mixed bag. The bedroom would actually have more daytime room with a huge couch, as well as one chair for people to sit on, and a bit of floor room too. At night, you'd probably be far more comfortable in the roomettes, where everyone gets their own bed. Everyone does have a seat too, but it's not quite the same as the bedroom. Drawback is that there is less play room on the floor at least and to talk with one another you'll need to keep the doors open and you'll have people walking by all the time too.

The teeth brushing thing however almost guarantees that you'll need roomettes, as everyone will be standing in the hall if you get the bedroom.

Des1rees,
Personally I think that it's a mixed bag. The bedroom would actually have more daytime room with a huge couch, as well as one chair for people to sit on, and a bit of floor room too. At night, you'd probably be far more comfortable in the roomettes, where everyone gets their own bed. Everyone does have a seat too, but it's not quite the same as the bedroom. Drawback is that there is less play room on the floor at least and to talk with one another you'll need to keep the doors open and you'll have people walking by all the time too.

The teeth brushing thing however almost guarantees that you'll need roomettes, as everyone will be standing in the hall if you get the bedroom.
What about the family bedroom?

Family Bedroom - It did not come up as an option while booking - maybe it is not offered on this train? We are taking 91 to Orlando and then 92 back.

Thanks,

D

Family Bedroom - It did not come up as an option while booking - maybe it is not offered on this train? We are taking 91 to Orlando and then 92 back.
Thanks,

D
Yup, no family bedroom on single level trains. I have kids of similar ages, if you cannot afford two bedrooms, I would prefer two roomettes over one bedroom.

There are no family bedrooms on the Florida/single level trains. Only Superliners offer a family bedroom. That limits you to all routes west of the Mississippi, the Capitol Limited, City of New Orleans, and the Auto Train if you want a family room.

Des1rees wants Silver Service trains which are single level, so that is not an option for her.

Thanks,

D
Yup, no family bedroom on single level trains. I have kids of similar ages, if you cannot afford two bedrooms, I would prefer two roomettes over one bedroom.

Thanks for the replies.

Conductor - It is not a matter of "afford". I am actually using Am Ex points to get the roomettes, currently in the process of switching over 60K points. Getting one bedroom would actually be cheaper than 2 roomettes, but getting 2 bedrooms would mean transferring over more points - which would further delay process...so trying to decide the best option between 2 roomettes and 1 bedroom...hopefully this should be comfortable for everyone. Sticking to the roomettes since it seems to be the general consensus.

D

Although Alan's point about day use is true, I think you'll end up being more comfortable with the two roomettes.

But when you board, make sure to ask the car attendant if you can peek in one of the bedrooms if they're unoccupied so you can see what they're like. That way, you'll be able to make a more informed decision next time (since, of course, there will be a next time!).

And spend time in the lounge. I personally like AmLounges. They don't beat the Superliners, but they are still nice. Especially the unrefurbished ones, with their period decor.

I guess one step above coal dust blowing onto your face, and sticking to your sweaty skin. :D

I guess one step above coal dust blowing onto your face, and sticking to your sweaty skin. :D
I remember when I was very young wearing science lab safety goggles and sticking my head out the window on a steam fan-trip. It worked very nicely for keeping cinders out of my eyes! :)

And spend time in the lounge. I personally like AmLounges. They don't beat the Superliners, but they are still nice. Especially the unrefurbished ones, with their period decor.
You're the one! Period decor? That is a nice spin on old and beat up. ;)
Oh come on, you have to love the ludicrously 1970s brown-orange-and-tan that must have been out dated as all heck almost as the Amfleets went into operation. Its a heck of a lot more interesting, more characterful, and to be honest with you, more attractive than the cold-as-dry-ice blue-and-grey scheme they have now.

You all had good advice for one mom, how about me? I want to travel from Tampa to Miami with my 3 daughters age 17, 11 and 6. We are doing it just for the fun experience and my husband will be meeting us in Miami. Is the Bedroom roomy enough for all of us if one or two of the kids use the top bed to play on while we ride? How many can fit comfortable on the long couch? We are all under 5'4" and under 116 lbs so petite. Thanks for your help.

I will have to defer to the experts on this, but from my point of view, I wouldn't book either for a ride of 5-1/2 hours. The Amfleet II coaches are plenty comfortable for a trip that length. The only hooker might be trying to get four seats together. Don't know if that far down the line, more people are getting off than on. The $109 for the bedroom would get you each a meal in the diner...kind of expensive...CJ

OTOH, if you're thinking about taking overnight family trips in the future, a day trip from Tampa to Miami will give you a good "feel" for travel in a sleeper. And it is nice to have a private area where kids can play without disturbing others. A Viewliner bedroom is sufficiently roomy for 4 people during the day, especially with two being young children. Give it a whirl!

I think the bedroom will be enough room for all of you. However, I do not know if Amtrak will ticket 4 of you in one bedroom.

I have traveled in a roomette from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale several times and once in a bedroom (when it was less expensive that a roomette). Being in a sleeper is much more comfortable and you have your own toilet. :)

Sometimes the coach restroom facilities on the Silvers can get pretty yucky by the time the train reaches Florida. I hope you enjoy your trip.

I have ticketed four adults in a bedroom, they can easily accommodate two adults and two children. The hardest part is finding an agent that knows how to correctly book it (two booked in the room and two booked as an "open" sleeper ticket and linking the reservations).

Thanks,

D
Thanks for the replies.

Conductor - It is not a matter of "afford". I am actually using Am Ex points to get the roomettes, currently in the process of switching over 60K points. Getting one bedroom would actually be cheaper than 2 roomettes, but getting 2 bedrooms would mean transferring over more points - which would further delay process...so trying to decide the best option between 2 roomettes and 1 bedroom...hopefully this should be comfortable for everyone. Sticking to the roomettes since it seems to be the general consensus.

D
Don't mean to change the subject, but what Am Ex card can you transfer points to AGR? I'm assuming it's a Chase? Does it have a special name? One thing I love about the Amtrak viewliners is that they do have a toilet and sink in the room, though it is literally in the room. Others will need to step out while it's in use. I'd recommend two roomettes across the hall from each other, if possible. That way you can take advantage of the roomettes if the scenery becomes exceptional out one side of the train. The kids can sit up top (upper windows on viewliners, not superliners) and look out, while the two adults sit in the seats beneath.

D
Don't mean to change the subject, but what Am Ex card can you transfer points to AGR? I'm assuming it's a Chase? Does it have a special name? One thing I love about the Amtrak viewliners is that they do have a toilet and sink in the room, though it is literally in the room. Others will need to step out while it's in use. I'd recommend two roomettes across the hall from each other, if possible. That way you can take advantage of the roomettes if the scenery becomes exceptional out one side of the train. The kids can sit up top (upper windows on viewliners, not superliners) and look out, while the two adults sit in the seats beneath.
Linda,

That's a very old post that you're quoting. My guess is that back then the person was transferring American Express Rewards points, available with most Amex cards, to Continental. Amex Rewards points transferred to Continental 1 for 1. Continental points back then used to transfer to AGR 1 for 1. But alas the United/Continental merger killed that transfer from Continental to AGR.

D
Linda,

That's a very old post that you're quoting. My guess is that back then the person was transferring American Express Rewards points, available with most Amex cards, to Continental. Amex Rewards points transferred to Continental 1 for 1. Continental points back then used to transfer to AGR 1 for 1. But alas the United/Continental merger killed that transfer from Continental to AGR.
That'll teach me not to read dates. :giggle: I'm always looking for new ways to earn points. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back