Roomette or bedroom?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to add a negative comment regarding the V/L bedroom. There is virtually no room to walk between the door and window when the lower berth is made up for sleeping. The outer edge of the berth is about 9" from the toilet/shower wall, forcing you to squeeze sideways while bracing yourself against the back wall of the berth. Even the SCA couldn't navigate without falling face down onto the berth while making it up.
That problem with the bed side clearance is with all Amtrak bedrooms. The design could have been far better if the vanity and bed were decreased in width by about 1 inch but this wasn't in the plan as some travelers use the lower bunk for two. You just need to squeeze by and hold on. On a positive note the VZ bedrooms have a huge amount of baggage space and that's perfect for my wife who likes to take up to a dozen suitcases on an overnight journey. On our first Amtrak bedroom trip many years back, she took along a frying pan to cook breakfast before she found out about the dining car.
I don't understand the "VZ" reference, please explain. Thanks

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/71540-questions-for-first-time-amtrak-travelers-for-long-distance-trip/page-2&do=findComment&comment=728350

What a difference two topics around here can make.

Within the linked topic, there is discussion in which I stated "the Roomette is a single adult accommodation" which brought about contrary thoughts that it is fine for two.

Now over here Mr. Richie Rich notes that the Bedroom is his single occupancy accommodation of choice.

The only Amtrak service I have used in now over five years is Auto-Train. It's a Bedroom for me.

For myself, I have too few years left (and did "OK enough" in this life) to travel about in "bivuac" conditions. This also means staying out of "The Gulag" when flying (United's Polaris is "superb").

Any travel I do nowadays is discretionary. The $$ at present are there to do it my way, and if there is "no dough" it simply is a "no go".

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/71540-questions-for-first-time-amtrak-travelers-for-long-distance-trip/page-2&do=findComment&comment=728350

What a difference two topics around here can make.

Within the linked topic, there is discussion in which I stated "the Roomette is a single adult accommodation" which brought about contrary thoughts that it is fine for two.

Now over here Mr. Richie Rich notes that the Bedroom is his single occupancy accommodation of choice.

The only Amtrak service I have used in now over five years is Auto-Train. It's a Bedroom for me.

For myself, I have too few years left (and did "OK enough" in this life) to travel about in "bivuac" conditions. This also means staying out of "The Gulag" when flying (United's Polaris is "superb").

Any travel I do nowadays is discretionary. The $$ at present are there to do it my way, and if there is "no dough" it simply is a "no go".
Fine if you prefer bedroom over roomette, but you don't have to use negative terms to describe the roomettes.

BTW, your bivouac description is wrong. The roomette is no way like "a temporary camp without tents or cover". And really!?! Describing flying like being in a labor camp?

From Fredericksburg VA --

I'm here visiting retired Marines, and who have assured me that "bivuac" includes a tent. Now I was Air Force and that was not part of our basic training.

But Mr. Blue, lest we not forget that at this Forum, we are addressing discretionary travel, and to me, overnight Amtrak Coach, "The Gulag" flying overseas, and double occupancy of a Roomette, are simply a bivuac to me and if I were confronted with any, I simply would choose "no go".

I like the roomettes. I think they're comfortable and never feel cramped. For reference, I'm 5'5" without shoes.

I stash my stuff similarly to Amtrak Blue. I put my carry-on on the step to the upper bunk and set my purse on the lower step. Then I take my shoes off and prop my feet up on the other seat so I can relax and look out the window (or read, if it's nighttime).

Once the bed is made up, I like to put a pillow on the window rail. I fold my arms on top of the pillow and rest my head in the crook of my elbow while watching the world pass by. I do that every time I ride the train, as it helps me relax while waiting for my sleeping pill to kick in.

My ex-boyfriend was 5'9", so we never had issues sharing a roomette. We did travel in a bedroom once, as it was a lower price than the roomettes for that trip. While we enjoyed it, we actually missed the cozy aspect of the roomette and decided we would continue to purchase roomettes for future trips.

If my future traveling partner is tall, then I may have to give up my roomette for a bedroom, but I'd really miss being able to curl up against the window at night.
default_smile.png

I like the roomettes. I think they're comfortable and never feel cramped. For reference, I'm 5'5" without shoes.

I stash my stuff similarly to Amtrak Blue. I put my carry-on on the step to the upper bunk and set my purse on the lower step. Then I take my shoes off and prop my feet up on the other seat so I can relax and look out the window (or read, if it's nighttime).

Once the bed is made up, I like to put a pillow on the window rail. I fold my arms on top of the pillow and rest my head in the crook of my elbow while watching the world pass by. I do that every time I ride the train, as it helps me relax while waiting for my sleeping pill to kick in.

My ex-boyfriend was 5'9", so we never had issues sharing a roomette. We did travel in a bedroom once, as it was a lower price than the roomettes for that trip. While we enjoyed it, we actually missed the cozy aspect of the roomette and decided we would continue to purchase roomettes for future trips.

If my future traveling partner is tall, then I may have to give up my roomette for a bedroom, but I'd really miss being able to curl up against the window at night.
default_smile.png
That's pretty cool, Sarah!

If I take a really long distance Amtrak trip again, I'll get a roomette then. I already have a neck pillow and a travel pillow, so I should be fine.
default_smile.png

If I take a really long distance Amtrak trip again, I'll get a roomette then. I already have a neck pillow and a travel pillow, so I should be fine.
default_smile.png
You'll be provided with two pillows, so you might not need your travel pillow. The neck pillow could come in handy for daytime use, but I usually just use one of the Amtrak pillows.

As a side/stomach sleeper, I find the pillows to be more than adequate. They might not be plump/firm enough if you are a back sleeper, though.

default_smile.png
You'll be provided with two pillows, so you might not need your travel pillow. The neck pillow could come in handy for daytime use, but I usually just use one of the Amtrak pillows.

As a side/stomach sleeper, I find the pillows to be more than adequate. They might not be plump/firm enough if you are a back sleeper, though.
True, the roomettes and bedrooms do come with pillows, but I want to be as comfortable as possible.

Roomette or Bedroom? It really depends. First, Viewliner or Superliner? For someone tall like me, the Viewliner bedroom is disappointing because the lower berth in a Viewliner Bedroom is shorter than me, and shorter than a Viewliner roomette. I prefer Viewliner roomettes although the toilet is ill arranged (i understand they are putting them separately down the hall in the future).

As to Superliners, the wife and myself prefer two roomettes directly across the hall. We get to see both sides of the scenery in the daytime, and don't have to deal with claustrophobia in the "coffin" type upper bunk. I do like the Superliner bedrooms but the upper berth is too cramped for me there also. The best accommodation we ever experienced on modern cars has been two bedrooms en suite on an anniversary trip (under the old AGR rules!)

Once upon a time I took the family on the Night Owl and the River Cities and we rode in two bedrooms opened en suite with each adult having a lower berth and each kid sleeping in the upper. These were the older Heritage sleepers, ten roomettes and six bedrooms!

The Roomettes served us very well for many years. When bringing the niece & sister...we'd get three of the four downstairs. Very convenient to 3 bathrooms and a large shower, and no traffic walking by like upstairs. It's the past four years we opted for the adjoining bedrooms when there were only two of us. When alone I opt for the Bedroom on the end...no connecting wall/door. A tiny bit smaller as it has a different floor-plan....but you don't hear the next door toilet flushing! One nite, with a connecting room, the wall slide open in the middle of the nite. Since it's a giant mirror...I though the guy sleeping next door was me in the mirror! lol Lol LOL Always tug on the wall when you board!

Back