Roomette question (re sleeping on upper bunk)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZiaReba

Train Attendant
For my next solo trip, I am pondering using the upper bunk to sleep and keeping the lower as chairs. Looking for pros and cons for this idea.

Is this on a Superliner or a Viewliner? On Superliners, you'll probably bump your head on the upper berth if you lower it and try to sit on the chair. Also, the upper berth is rather cramped for sleeping. On a Viewliner, the ceiling is higher, so you can sit on the chair while the berth is down. Also, the upper berth is less cramped than on a Superliner, and there's windows up there.

I did this once on the Night Owl which runs Viewliner I’s and found it extremely uncomfortable.

It makes sense. And it does maximize room in the small quarters, but there’s a few things to consider.

Superliner upper bunks are more comfortable IMO than Viewliners, but V have a window and more room. The Viewliner II bed considerably more comfortable than the Viewliner I, and it has a window.

So it really depends on what equipment you will be in.

I think across the board, lower bunks are more comfortable than upper bunks in trains. And, chances are if you are strong and limber enough to climb into the upper bunk, you may be strong and limber enough to put your bags in the upper bunk.

If you enjoy sleeping in a catscan then it is fine. There is very little space and no window. I tried it once and almost went crazy.

For me, even in my old age, a great part of the fun in a sleeper car is waking up in the middle of the night, looking out the window, and watching passengers and crew activity along the platform. And I retain a memorable image of watching snow laden trees glide by in the moonlight as we wended our way through the Coast Mountains on the CS early one New Years morning. The Viewliner has a window, so this may be possible from the upper bunk, but I've never been up there myself.

Thanks everyone! I will actually be in both types of cars (long trip) but it sounds like it won’t be worth it!

also, since the VL uppers move up and down vertically, as opposed to folding out, many people will use them as a parcel shelf
That's a great idea. My upcoming circle trip from SFO on the CZ, Cardinal, Crescent, SL, and CS involves both types of cars. Thanks for the tip. I won' have to leave my suitcase at the end of the car in the Cardinal and Crescent.

I do what OP is suggesting 100% of the time on a Viewliner and never in a Superliner roomette. For the Viewliner, it allows me to leave all of my possessions in place "downstairs" during the night, provides seating, there is the window "upstairs" for viewing, and I don't have problems going up and down. YMMV.

I do what OP is suggesting 100% of the time on a Viewliner and never in a Superliner roomette. For the Viewliner, it allows me to leave all of my possessions in place "downstairs" during the night, provides seating, there is the window "upstairs" for viewing, and I don't have problems going up and down. YMMV.
I feel the same way. I arrange my roomette in a Viewliner like a small apartment. Bedroom upstairs. Living/Dining Rooms downstairs. Works out rather well. Of yes, and the bag closet is either on the space between the seat and the inside wall or in the cubby hole. I don't usually have enough to fill up all the space.

Last edited:
I've done this on a Viewliner when traveling alone with the upper bunk widow. It was nice having the Lower bunk in day mode as an "office"

On a Superliner I haven't done it. I have slept in the upper bunk of few times when traveling with a friend or more recently my partner. I don't mind sleeping up there but when traveling alone, the ability to wake up and look out the window outweighs this.

Until I got too old in recent years, I loved using the upper bunk.
  • Gave me a way to get up, get dressed and get going w/o having to at least partially undo the bed just to turn around.
  • Gave me an opportunity to, if I woke up in the middle of the night, sit in a real seat to enjoy the scenery w/o messing up the bed.
  • Gave me a place to open and leave my luggage open so finding things was so much easier.

I always found the upper bunk in a Superliner claustrophobic. No window,very limited space and when nature calls it is an ordeal just to get down and dressed,especially if there the lower bunk is being used.

Is this on a Superliner or a Viewliner? On Superliners, you'll probably bump your head on the upper berth if you lower it and try to sit on the chair. Also, the upper berth is rather cramped for sleeping. On a Viewliner, the ceiling is higher, so you can sit on the chair while the berth is down. Also, the upper berth is less cramped than on a Superliner, and there's windows up there.

I was going to reply exactly this ⬆ which aligns with my experience (though I see others differ). :) I sleep upstairs on Viewliners but down on Superliner.

That's a great idea. My upcoming circle trip from SFO on the CZ, Cardinal, Crescent, SL, and CS involves both types of cars. Thanks for the tip. I won' have to leave my suitcase at the end of the car in the Cardinal and Crescent.

George I am about to do same from EMY - CZ>Cardinal>Crescent ... would be very funny if it was at the same time! (And yup, works great in Viewliners!)

I have always used the upper bunk in Viewliner roomettes for the reasons cited by others previously. However, on my last trip, I found the mattress of the upper to be a bit over-firm. In fact, it was reminiscent of a slab of concrete. I don't know whether my physical tolerances have changed, or whether they replaced more than the sheets and banket when they upgraded the bedding. This was in a Viewliner I, by the way.

Also, on my trip home, I was in a Superliner roomette and used the lower berth, and the mattress was perfectly fine.

George I am about to do same from EMY - CZ>Cardinal>Crescent ... would be very funny if it was at the same time! (And yup, works great in Viewliners!)
chickkpea, are you traveling in April? If so, maybe we should try to connect to see if indeed we are on the same train (CZ at least). I believe there's a thread on this site where prospective travelers can hook up, but I don't know where or how it works.

chickkpea, are you traveling in April? If so, maybe we should try to connect to see if indeed we are on the same train (CZ at least). I believe there's a thread on this site where prospective travelers can hook up, but I don't know where or how it works.
Actually I'm on the CZ next week!!!!

On Viewliners I have slept in the top bunk for the past 17 years, when the idea first occurred to me. I like being able to sit down below, and the top bunk is wider at the head end.

Superliner Roommette upper bunk is best described as a "bumpy coffin". At 6'5", I can't really use it. For our next trip, we're doing two roomettes and sticking the kids up top.

I have always used the upper bunk in Viewliner roomettes for the reasons cited by others previously. However, on my last trip, I found the mattress of the upper to be a bit over-firm. In fact, it was reminiscent of a slab of concrete. I don't know whether my physical tolerances have changed, or whether they replaced more than the sheets and banket when they upgraded the bedding. This was in a Viewliner I, by the way.

Also, on my trip home, I was in a Superliner roomette and used the lower berth, and the mattress was perfectly fine.
When you sleep on the top, take the bottom bunk mattress and add it to the top bunk one. The bottom bunk sits on the seat cushion under it. The top does not so use both mattresses.

For my next solo trip, I am pondering using the upper bunk to sleep and keeping the lower as chairs. Looking for pros and cons for this idea.
In Viewliners, a lot of people do this. Many attendants will actually ask solo travellers which bunk they want to sleep in.

Superliner upper bunks are way too cramped, so pretty much nobody does this there.

In Viewliners, a lot of people do this. Many attendants will actually ask solo travellers which bunk they want to sleep in.

Superliner upper bunks are way too cramped, so pretty much nobody does this there.
I've done it on Superliners and the limited headroom doesn't bother me (in spite of people saying I have a big head). It's difficult to do it any more only because of the difficulty of climbing up. No ladder like the BRs. :(

Back