Roomettes in each train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalman

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Are roomettes on both sides of the train or are bedrooms larger on one side and roomettes on the other. I'm leaving Portland Coast starlight Monday to LAx and San Juan Capistrano for a family reunion. I'd like to be on the coast side of the train both going down and returning and wonder what my chances are getting the side I want.
1. Is there any way to reserve side before leaving?

Can't wait for trip. 1st time of many I hope. And want to be able to post my first trip on my coalman handle. Thank you all in advance for this entusiastic community.

Last edited:
1624742847582.png
I am not sure about you bag. Your ticket will list a room.
1624742971817.png
For example, this ticket (an old one), has me in room A. You can compare it to the diagram above.

No way to reserve for a specific side. I suggest, if you are not on the side you want, to go to the SSL (Sightseer Lounge). By the way, the Eastern side has some beautiful views of the Cascade mountains in Southern Oregon

1. Roomettes are on both sides of the aisle. If you already have a reservation, your roomette was assigned when you made it. It is on your eticket pdf.
2. There is no way to predict the orientation of the car within a consist in advance and so no way to predict which side your roomette will be on. Superliner sleepers are designed to run either end forward and do. As a example, I have ridden the Starlight several times when the sleepers were oriented in opposite directions.
3. Unfortunately, San Juan Capistrano does not have checked baggage service, even if Pacific Surfliners had not had their checked baggage service suspended. I would recommend that you do not try to "short check" your bag to LA. It is a longish walk to the baggage room down the tunnel from the platform and can take awhile for the baggage to appear. If the Starlight is late, you stand a good chance of missing the Surfliner if you have to pick up baggage.

You will have to carry on your baggage on the Surfliner in any case. I recommend you just carry it on the whole way.

Last edited:
As mentioned, there are no guarantees.

With regards to “probability”, based on these metrics the CS has a high percentage of running with the Bedroom toward the engine, roomettes towards the diner. I don't ride CS much, but this is based on 3 year old metrics from last trip. Spot checks this year still suggest similar positioning of the consist. (less the 32 sleeper car.)

Your odds would be 80%-90%~ best booking an even roomette number NB. (Based solely on these metrics)
(reference: virtualrailfan cams)
cs direction.jpg

Here’s a better example of it being more of a toss up. Chief and Eagle run 50/50
sc direction.jpg

Last edited:

With regards to “probability”, based on these metrics the CS has a high percentage of running with the Bedroom toward the engine, roomettes towards the diner. I don't ride CS much, but this is based on 3 year old metrics from last trip. Spot checks this year still suggest similar positioning of the consist. (less the 32 sleeper car.)

Your odds would be 80%-90%~ best booking an even roomette number NB. (Based solely on these metrics)
View attachment 23129

Here’s a better example of it being more of a toss up. Chief and Eagle run 50/50
View attachment 23130

Is there any way to publicly access these sheets or are they your own personal records?

These were tinkering with Excel to give me a more visual on the metrics. I use it to see if it’s worth my time to “pick” a room by calling or simply taking whatever Aarow gives me if I book online. I prefer a bedroom where I can sit on the couch while I watch scenery come towards me. I dislike the chair on long routes. As you can see, some routes are more predictable than others.

The “input” is manual but only need to have “white background” fields filled in, (Date and f or b for which way the bedrooms are facing). The remaining fields are fixed or formulas. The source comes from watching the virtualrailfan cams and logging the Sleeper car direction. (Sleepers have 3 windows on one side of the door and a small window on right side) For CS I used the Chehalis, WA webcam if you have access to it. (Nominal fee for all cams)

You are certainly welcome to have my XLS if you want to track too but can't attach an XLS here using the reply dialog.

View attachment 23129

View attachment 23130
Many thanks for this information.

Eric & Pat

Coleman, You mention staying in a Roomette.
Many routes including the CS runs a Transition Sleeper.
transdorm-upper.jpg

transdorm-lower.jpg

Typically, they will use the low number Roomettes for their crew sometimes roped off as private, but the room #17-24 are often sold to the public. Due to the purpose of this car “transitioning” access to the lower baggage car it’s always positioned in the same direction behind baggage. If you want to assure you’ll see the Coast on the NB route, ask a Rep if you can be booked in one of the “odd” numbered rooms on the Transition Sleeper.

Even coming back SB... and book early

Coleman, You mention staying in a Roomette.
Many routes including the CS runs a Transition Sleeper.
transdorm-upper.jpg

transdorm-lower.jpg

Typically, they will use the low number Roomettes for their crew sometimes roped off as private, but the room #17-24 are often sold to the public. Due to the purpose of this car “transitioning” access to the lower baggage car it’s always positioned in the same direction behind baggage. If you want to assure you’ll see the Coast on the NB route, ask a Rep if you can be booked in one of the “odd” numbered rooms on the Transition Sleeper.

Even coming back SB... and book early
Don't they sometimes run the baggage car on the back of the train? In such cases the transition car would have to face the opposite way...

Don't they sometimes run the baggage car on the back of the train? In such cases the transition car would have to face the opposite way...
Sure. I’ve seen baggage car all over the place. But I’ve never seen the Transition Sleeper (not in the front) nor the direction with the crew quarters (low numbers) behind the publicly sold rooms. It’s always faces the same direction. I checked the cams last few days and the CS is still running it’s TS behind the baggage.

The cam used is the Chehalis, WA virtualrailfan. My least favorite as it’s not a station stop and the train barrels thru at track speed and sometimes hard to tell the car types at night. Still shows running with Baggage then TransDorm.
I'm deducing that the next car is the Business Car as this was followed by 2 Sleepers, Diner, Obs, and 2 Coach.
cs.jpg

Are roomettes on both sides of the train or are bedrooms larger on one side and roomettes on the other. I'm leaving Portland Coast starlight Monday to LAx and San Juan Capistrano for a family reunion. I'd like to be on the coast side of the train both going down and returning and wonder what my chances are getting the side I want.

Can't wait for trip. 1st time of many I hope. And want to be able to post my first trip on my coalman handle. Thank you all in advance for this entusiastic community.

Did anybody have the answer to the other part of his quistion? Are bedrooms and/or roomettes larger on one side of the train than the other?

Did anybody have the answer to the other part of his quistion? Are bedrooms and/or roomettes larger on one side of the train than the other?
Bedrooms are on one side only with a hallway along the windows on the other side. That is about 1/2 the car. The other 1/2 of the car has roomettes (all same size) with a hallway down the middle between them.

View attachment 23129

View attachment 23130
Fantastic information! I am booked to #12. Looks like a lower. I asked for an upper. could I be on a transition sleeper? I also just posted a seat of pants trip scorecard. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Fantastic information! I am booked to #12. Looks like a lower. I asked for an upper. could I be on a transition sleeper? I also just posted a seat of pants trip scorecard. I'd appreciate your feedback.
The diagram of the transition car shows no Roomette Number 12, so no, you are apparently assigned a lower level Roomette on a standard sleeper...

Sure. I’ve seen baggage car all over the place. But I’ve never seen the Transition Sleeper (not in the front) nor the direction with the crew quarters (low numbers) behind the publicly sold rooms. It’s always faces the same direction. I checked the cams last few days and the CS is still running it’s TS behind the baggage.
If the baggage car is on the back of the train, then the transition car should be just ahead of it, with the transition stairway end adjacent to the baggage car, for crew access.

If the baggage car is on the back of the train, then the transition car should be just ahead of it, with the transition stairway end adjacent to the baggage car, for crew access.
That certainly makes since. Just never seen the TS anywhere but in front or missing. (disclaimer-I only watch the western LD routes).

<snip>I am booked to #12. Looks like a lower. I asked for an upper<snip>
Your ticket will list a car number along with your room number 12. As railiner pointed out TS room #’s would be 17-24. The TS is also usually numbered xx40.
CS is currently running Engine, Engine, Baggage, 1440(TS), Business Class Coach, 1431. 1430, Diner, Obs, Coach, Coach. (replace 14 with 11 on the SB.)

Regarding lower level
Not sure why if you asked for upper that gave you 12. Amtrak REPs are hot/cold when it comes to experience. While upper/lower is a personal preference and while the lower level has its advantages I find most riders do prefer upper level including myself for better views and a bit more privacy when stopped at stations. If you prefer upper level to lower, then I would suggest calling and see if you can get moved while inventory is still available.

I booked Roomettes on my trip with my partner in October the reservation machine kicked out Roomettes staggered.
I wanted two roomettes directly across from each other.
I could see no way to change this so I called Amtrak and the person I spoke with had to get a Supervisor to override
the selection - I don't know why Amtrak couldn't let me make the roomettes selection myself just like seat selection on an airline !

<snip> I don't know why Amtrak couldn't let me make the roomettes selection myself just like seat selection on an airline !
Wouldn't that be nice! My guess is Arrow does not play well, or lack of funding for the feature.
Same with online booking. Only way to ask for a desired room is to call a live rep.
This is a much-desired feature. I hope we see it in the future.

You can call and request a room in the dorm car. They sell those usually when others sleepers sold out. I have called to request room 18 in dorm car but the agent I had did not know how to get into the manifest so she got supervisor to help her. The dorm car is always pulled in one direction as the front door is lower level to get into baggage car. So even numbers will always be on the right side and uneven numbers on the left side of train going forward. So LA to SEA the ocean side will always be on the left. Rarely the dorm car is in for maintenance so they will use a regular sleeper that would goof this idea up.

Back