Roomettes on the EB

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKA

OBS Chief
I just checked the EB west bound on 4 July 09. They show 2 lines for roomettes. One line shows sold out. The next line shows ADD 895.00 to seat price. Whats up with the two lines ? Crew dorm ? :unsure:

I just checked the EB west bound on 4 July 09. They show 2 lines for roomettes. One line shows sold out. The next line shows ADD 895.00 to seat price. Whats up with the two lines ? Crew dorm ? :unsure:

ARROW still shows a few roomettes open CHI-SEA. I don't know why any line says it's sold out. Also the crew dorm rooms are included in inventory like any other room.

Last edited by a moderator:
There could be a couple of reasons why there are multiple lines:

- It's technically two trains in whatever direction you're traveling in (until the merger/split in Spokane).

--- However, those two trains would appear when you're selecting a train, not when upgrading accommodations.

For both 27 and 7 on July 4, there are two lines for sold-out and available roomettes:

20090624_roomette.jpg

I think we've discussed why this happens in the system before, but I can't remember the specifics — maybe because of an added car, canceled reservation or something else?

I don't necessarily think it's the transdorm — there isn't one on the 27 that goes to Portland.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the real question should be, who would pay that kind of price for a roomette?
Not me....EVER.

I asked this same question here before, and of course, never got an answer. So I figured it out myself and called directly....that is the accessible (handicap) bedroom, as Amtrak's policy is to open up that room once all the other rooms are sold out 14 days before the date.

And that's why the price is so high, after all, its a lot bigger than a regular bedroom.

If anyone thinks I am wrong, please let me know.

Straight from Amtrak.com:

"Who May Reserve Accessible Accommodations

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers who are mobility impaired.

After this period, and if all other Deluxe and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedrooms are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible."

I think the real question should be, who would pay that kind of price for a roomette?
Not me....EVER.

I asked this same question here before, and of course, never got an answer. So I figured it out myself and called directly....that is the accessible (handicap) bedroom, as Amtrak's policy is to open up that room once all the other rooms are sold out 14 days before the date.

And that's why the price is so high, after all, its a lot bigger than a regular bedroom.

Up until 14 days prior to the departure of each train from its origin city, reservations for accessible bedrooms may be made only for passengers who are mobility impaired.

After this period, and if all other Deluxe and Family bedrooms have been reserved, accessible bedrooms are made available to all passengers on a first-come, first-served basis. For this reason, we urge you to make your reservations as far in advance of travel as possible."
OH one more thing, to prove this, try this: Make a reservation for say 6 people. Then choose upgrade accommodations. If a regular roomette was available, you could choose up to 6 roomettes. Now select the accessible (the only choice left in your case), and see how many rooms come up....it should be 1 only!

:rolleyes:

Probably the handicap bedroom, they sell it dearly when it isnt booked, I know on this trainwhen I booked 3 Months ago()it was $311 for a roomette, $476 for deluxe bedroom which is low bucket,

I believe its like $1440+ now, you could look itup! :) Coach isnt that bad on this train but very crowded! :cool: :cool:

Not me....EVER.

OH one more thing, to prove this, try this: Make a reservation for say 6 people. Then choose upgrade accommodations. If a regular roomette was available, you could choose up to 6 roomettes. Now select the accessible (the only choice left in your case), and see how many rooms come up....it should be 1 only!
Not withstanding something I may have missed, theoritically there could be 2 accessable rooms that haven't been booked if, for example there are two sleepers on the consist.

:) Could it be the #7 and #27thing with the train split since one section often sells out while the other hasa few vacancies @ HIGH prices!!! :lol: This was discussed this week by several members, Im sure between the traveler and Alan there will be clarification!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

The accesible room when it does go on sale, goes on sale as a Bedroom, not a roomette.
I'm not sure if that's true on the Empire Builder because when I went to book a recent trip I got a screen showing that all bedrooms were sold out... and double lines for roomettes... one showing all roomettes showing out... and the other showing 1 roomette going for $895. The same price the original posted mentioned and a similar screen shot to what was previous posted.

I called and asked about that... and the agent told me that the $895 "roomette" that was posted online was indeed Room H in the 2830 sleeper.

I took it.

So, I don't what the deal is.

Also, AGR considered the H room a roomette and only charged me 20K points for it.

:) Could it be the #7 and #27thing with the train split since one section often sells out while the other hasa few vacancies @ HIGH prices!!! :lol: This was discussed this week by several members, Im sure between the traveler and Alan there will be clarification!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:
Sorry I took so long - I was busy doing something important - planning my next trip! :lol: (You know how much time that routing can take! :p )

It could not be a 7/27 thing. There would be one fare button for train 7, and another fare button for train 27. They would not be combined. I too think it is a H-room.

BTW: For an AGR award, roomettes and the H-room are the same rate, and bedrooms and the family bedroom are the same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back