Round the US in 30 Days

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaviesUK

I am considering a trip around the perimeter of the USA by train in 30 days as a kind of challenge. I beleive I can purchase a rail pass for this, but can anyone advise me how much sleeper accommodation costs, as some nights I might want to opt for that.

Also any hints on the practicality of doing this for someone who is quite old (50+)

Thanks,

DaviesUK

London, England B)

Hi daviesUK,

Ah, good old England. I lived in Leicestershire for awhile. Anyway, as per your trip. It would be helpful if you could provide a bit more info such as your budget and where you want to go? Did you mean you want to spend ALL 30 days doing the trains? I STRONGLY urge you to forget this plan. Better:

1. go to the amtrak website (www.amtrak.com) and look at the rail network. Match that up with parts of the States you'd like to see.

2. play around with different dates on specific routes to give you an idea of the price of a sleeper.

3. when you get some ideas, write back here. A lot depends on budget.

You should be fine in what they call the BEDROOM (formerly standard sleeper). Remember that when you pay this fee, you also get your meals free! :)

Particular routes I would be sure to take: The Empire Builder, which runs between Chicago and Seattle, both cities that you should spend at least a day in. The Coast Starlight from Seattle to San Francisco (you should then spend at least a night or two in San fran).

At that point, you've got to decide:

a. Continue on down to LA (don't waste your time here) and catch the Sunset Limited to New Orleans (a must)

b. take the California Zephyr from San Fran back to Chicago.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Scott

DaviesUK said:
I am considering a trip around the perimeter of the USA by train in 30 days as a kind of challenge. I beleive I can purchase a rail pass for this, but can anyone advise me how much sleeper accommodation costs, as some nights I might want to opt for that.
Also any hints on the practicality of doing this for someone who is quite old (50+)

Thanks,

DaviesUK

London, England B)
DaviesUK,

Yes you can buy a railpass, which depending on your ultimate itinerary can indeed save you money. The pass is most useful if you plan to stop overnight at certain cities. If you literally just want to circumnavigate the US without any overnight stops except where unavoidable, then the pass may or may not save you any money.

It's very hard however to answer the sleeper accomodation cost, as it varies widely based upon when you plan to travel (summer being the most costly) and by what train you are riding. As Sutton mentioned, we'd need more info to advise you on that. Expect anything from maybe $150 US to as much as $500 US for a Roomette. A Bedroom will cost more.

As for being 50 and doing this type of run, nothing wrong with that. I know of several people older than that who take month long vacations on Amtrak.

50 plus! I 56 and love riding Amtrak. You say the permiter of the US..do you mean..say New York to Florida,across to LA,up to Seattle and back to NY? You ll be taking the Silver service to Fla,the Sunset Limited to LA,the Coast Starlight to Portland or Seattle and the Empire Builder and the Lake Shore Limited back east,if that is your plan. Sleepers are inexpensive on the Sunset and the Empire Builder,depending when you go as low as$220 on the Sunset from Jacksonvile to LA and $152 on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago.

You can do a 30 day rail pass..in England don t they have a different kind of pass you can purchase? Here in the US the All aboard pass is good for 45 days and gives you 3 stopovers. If you are using that itineary, I would suggest New Orleans. San Francisco Seattle or Chicago as your stopovers..but being from overseas you might get unlimited stopovers as our 30day pass that gives you unlimited stops in the US and Canada with Viarai.

What will your itinerary be?

Guest_Rick said:
You can do a 30 day rail pass..in England don t they have a different kind of pass you can purchase? Here in the US the All aboard pass is good for 45 days and gives you 3 stopovers.
That's correct, there is one type of pass for a US resident that requires one leg of the trip to be on VIA Rail. For those living outside the US & Canada, there is another pass, which does not have the VIA requirement.

I believe that the non-resident pass provides unlimited stopovers within the 30-day period.

Having ridden nearly every Amtrak line and doing several multi-week trips, I can tell you on western US (multi-night) trains, you will NOT be happy if you go coach more than the first night out. Obtain a sleeper for the second night - it's REALLY great if the train is late and you sometimes get stuck with extended hours onboard. Also, the Coast Starlight is a LONG trip even though only 1 night, and if you take the whole trip, a room will be welcome

Retired teacher, did the 30-day NARPass, in April, 2002 from Toronto at age 59. I have a detailed, notated itinerary which may be of interest to you, but of course, it tilts to my interests in American history, architecture and barbeque.

The route I followed included at least one overnight in: Chicago, Memphis, New Orleans, San Antonio, Austin, Fort Worth, St. Louis, Kansas City, Flagstaff and Grand Canyon, Los Angeles, St. Louis Obispo, (Car rental to San Francisco along coast highway), Monterey, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago.

I stayed mainly in 'Hostelling International' facilities, which provide clean and safe, low-cost accommodations to foreign travelers- young and not so young. The facility in Downtown Chicago (www.hichicago.org) is very hotel-like and is within walking distance of the world famous Chicago Art Institute as well as $200/night hotels. Occasional hotel treats along the way were because of low prices and/or proximity to rail stations.

I wouldn't do 30 days again, but on the other hand, the experience was unforgettable. I never upgraded to sleeper because I seldom had to spend more than one night on the train.

The meals in the dining cars were all first class and you get to meet a wide variety of people and exchange travel stories.

A final tip: Never sit in coach within 30 feet of a child under 5 years of age.

Dan A

Back