Roundtrip to No Place. Please advise

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am new here and to train travel, at least on this continent. I'm feeling stuck in Indiana and trying to plan a trip west just to see the scenery and take a break from my reality. One might advise a short Carribean cruise but everyone else is doing that and I want some time away from them. I want to see if this idea sounds totally nuts: Indy to Chicago and ride the Empire Builder all the way to Portland then get the Cal Zephyr back east to Chicago then Indy and....all in one week? Just for fun? Crazy? I planned this on the Amtrack site and upgrading to Roomettes and business Class wherever possible. It's not cheap--$1100--but for 6 days of travel and all meals included, not too bad, I thought. I'm thinking the last week of January and the scheduling is a little tight in Sacramento (4hr layover) where a delay would really mess me up.

Please advise. Is this too ambitious for a rail newby? Is there a better way to get the similar results? Maybe not go all the way to the coast but still over the mountains?

I'm enjoying spending a cozy New Years researching this and reading your posts. Thanks for that.

Sarah

Are you wired for 110 and always going 220? If you are, this might be a tad steep for your first train trip. You have to get into "train warp" as I call it. You need to discard your watch, bring books and magazines, a nice pillow, be open to visiting with others on the train and do some research of the areas you are going to travel through. (USA by Rail, and Zephyr: Tracking and American Dream) are two good books to research. Also, its a tad pricey can you move your dates around? Can you book further out say, March or April? The cost might be significant lower since it sounds like you are booking for a trip fairly soon. Some folks get onboard and get "antsy" quite quickly. Will you be that way? So much depends on your attitude when you board and sometimes the attitude of the employees of Amtrak that are working your train. To me...its sounds like a blast! My first trip I went from LNK to EMY and flew back to Lincoln just in case I didn't like taking the train. I wished I hadn't have flown back! The CZ is beautiful, but I would take the CZ first so you are not going through the Rockies at night if the CZ is way behind. That means taking the #5 instead of the #6. Also, maybe a one day break somewhere might make it more enjoyable. There's a real nice HI Hostel in Sacramento CA. Probably set you back $40 for a bunk for one night, but might give you a breather from train travel if its getting old.

Al

I realize it very well may be the Rockies you aim to sail through, but if you're a little apprehensive about such an ambitious first start, you might consider:

Take the Eastbound Cardinal out of Indianapolis through the Appalachians and the New River Gorge, which is often referred to as the Grand Canyon of the East.

You'd have three options of destinations: Washington DC, Philadelphia, or New York, each of which would require one overnight stay.

If you choose Washington, you would then go West on the Capitol Limited the next afternoon to Chicago, and connect back to the Cardinal/Hoosier State to complete your loop.

If you choose Philly, you would then go West on the Pennsylvanian the next morning to Pittsburgh, and would then change trains there for the Capitol Limited and complete the loop mentioned above.

If you choose New York, then you would go West on the Lake Shore Limited the next afternoon for Chicago, and again use the Cardinal/Hoosier to complete the loop.

Given the choice between the three, I'd go for the 2nd option (IND>PHL>PGH>CHI>IND), as it involves a lot more train riding during daylight, and will give you some good mountain riding in daylight.

Out of curiosity, I priced this for a trip leaving Indy on January 26th and even with roomettes included on all LD trains, and a BC upgrade on the Pennsylvanian, it came to a very reasonable $437.60 total!!!!

Roomette on the Cardinal was $145 and $80 for the Capitol. These are as low as you'll find, particularly for the Cardinal, which usually runs $394 to start just for the room. Of course, time is of the essence in securing such a price.

This would also give you a night off the train to get some rest if you didn't adjust well to the sleeper, as well as a chance to widen your culinary palette.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been gaining an interest in the American Railway system during the last year or so, and am fully intending to scoop the Zephyr from Chicago to the West Coast. Booking a few months ahead seems to yield some pretty reasonable fares for a roomette for 2.

2 full days aboard a train? Bring it on!!!!!!!

No, it's not crazy. My first Amtrak trip was Chicago to Los Angeles and back. However, I did spend a day or two in L.A. I also have gone from Chicago to Seattle, spent one day in Seattle, and returned. I would recommend an overnight somewhere along the line for a breather.

Take your watch with you, but ignore it. Trains usually run late. RailRookie gave some good ideas about how you might adapt to train travel.

Betty

Have no fear; my first long train trip by myself I left Phoenix at the age of 13. I was headed to boarding school in Lenox, Mass. I caught a mail train from Phoenix headed to New Orleans. We got to El Paso and the conductor said we would be there at least thirty minutes unloading mail and switching out express cars. I went into the station, which is quite a hike from the tracks, and came back out 5 minutes later with Coke in hand but no train to be seen anywhere. If memory serves me right the ticket agent felt sorry for me and after a phone call he gave me a ticket on the Sunset. What I didn't realize was my grand father got involved when I didn't phone home form New Orleans on time. He traveled exclusively by train and refused to fly. I guess he earned the privilege as VP of International Paper. Anyway, I go to climb on the coach of the Sunset and the porter says, "Sir, you're in Pullman." Wow...even though it was only a roomette I thought I had the world by the tail. I could spread out and enjoy the scenery. We pulled into New Orleans and all my belongings were in the baggage room. I had to park bench it for a few hours in order to catch the train to New York but I believe it was the Pelican. The meals were fantastic, the service was impeccable and this kid had a great trip so look at this as an adventure and remember what Al said, leave your watch at home.

To clarify SarahA, I am totally wired 110 but going 220. My friends find it "interesting" that I have found a mode of travel that takes alot more time and that I thorougly enjoy it. They find it "different" that I can't wait to take a trip to Chicago that takes 11 hours by train when I could do it by plane in a little over 1 hour. But that "1 hour" flight back in 2005 that turned into a 14 hour late debacle is what made me seek out Amtrak. If you are good at being alone, thirst for "down time", like to kick back and relax and not feel a need to be "entertained" every moment of your waking life, then you may find riding Amtrak is very relaxing, invigorating, stress-free and a neat way to "See America At See Level"! :)

Given the choice between the three, I'd go for the 2nd option (IND>PHL>PGH>CHI>IND), as it involves a lot more train riding during daylight, and will give you some good mountain riding in daylight.
Out of curiosity, I priced this for a trip leaving Indy on January 26th and even with roomettes included on all LD trains, and a BC upgrade on the Pennsylvanian, it came to a very reasonable $437.60 total!!!!

Roomette on the Cardinal was $145 and $80 for the Capitol. These are as low as you'll find, particularly for the Cardinal, which usually runs $394 to start just for the room. Of course, time is of the essence in securing such a price.

This would also give you a night off the train to get some rest if you didn't adjust well to the sleeper, as well as a chance to widen your culinary palette.
This does sound like a nice circular route. The Cardinal's scenery was a very pleasant surprise, but I have to say, it isn't the Zephyr across the Rockies, not by a long shot. Perhaps it's partly because I'm an easterner and have grown up with the Appalachians, but I think it's also because they're densely tree-covered instead of craggy? But also, while the Zephyr's views from your seat are fantastic, there's also the Sightseer Lounge for the fuller viewing experience; no Sightseer on the Cardinal. But I don't mean to knock the Cardinal--it's a great route and the New River Gorge is spectacular (shorter timewise than the Rockies too, though), and in a roomette--at that price!!!--you'll probably avoid the one small issue I had, which was timing/seating in the Diner (Lite), since as a first-class passenger you'll get some measure of priority there (I think?).

But also, as The Metropolitan said, "more mountains" with this route--you get great scenery on the Pennsylvanian on the return, crossing the Alleghenies and riding through Horseshoe Curve. If the train is on time, you'll get to see Horseshoe Curve in twilight at least right now (I think?); it's late afternoon in the summer. With the Zephyr, you really just get mountains one way. And with the Cardinal to DC or NYC, you don't get mountains on the return. (Though with NYC, you do get the Hudson River Valley, also lovely.)

One other odd point of comparison: stations. With Philadelphia, you get perhaps the grandest station for your transfer (and a lot of time there, given an overnight in the city) of any of these routes. And Philly's a nice place for a day; if you go this route and haven't been here before, I can give you some recommendations for an evening and a morning (non-Independence stuff, unless you're particularly interested in that).

I'm astounded by the price--why on earth are Cardinal roomettes so cheap right now? Is there always one (or two) at this price, and they're just typically booked very, very far in advance so we only ever see the next bucket or two? Or is this actually a much lower low-bucket than usual?

Do it. You're plan is good. I agree though to play with some dates too. I also think you should do it backwards from what your plan is. From Chicago, go to Sacremento. You'll hit the Rockies in the morning and almost for for sure if its late. Going north from Sacremento, you'll hit the Cascades going into Portland. The only hitch if you want to see the Cascades is you'll have to spend the night in either Portland or Seattle. Otherwise you'll have to detrain at Klamath Falls, I believe, and they bus you to meet the Empire Builder at Pasco, WA. Its an 8 hour bus ride and you totally miss the Cascades going through Eastern Oregon, which is not that great. Also taking the Empire Builder eastbound pretty much guarantees you seeing Glacier National Park in the morning. Going westbound in the winter, you'll miss it. You'll also travel along the upper Mississippi during the daylight, whereas you wouldn't see it going west.

If you spend the night in Portland or Seattle this will take 6 nights and 7 days. There is a good Hostel near the Seattle station thats only about $30. If you're not into sharing a room with strangers, hotels are not bad either there.

If you start your trip going from Indianapolis to Chicago, there are two things to consider when booking either the Cardinal or Hoosier State.....the Hoosier State is a pitiful excuse for a train, other than the fact it gets you to or from Chicago (meaning no amenities), so the Cardinal is the preferable run to take. Regarding the Cardinal, it runs on an every-other-day schedule, so it isn't an option on certain days. However, it does have a decent food service (though not 'full service dining'). In other words, the days that this train runs Eastbound will dictate what dates you can book the remainder of your trip. Westbound, you can leave any day, but may have a simple one-coach consist for the first five hours of your trip.

Go for it. My wife have done three round trips to different places spending the night on the train so that no hotels where needed. Cleveland to Seattle was one of them. Spent the day in Seattle and came back on the same day. Cleveland , Boston , Washington , Cleveland was another. Got to spend a whole day in Washington on that one. Cleveland , Reno was another on the Zephyr. J ust a few hours in Reno on that one. [ About 3 hours ] Many thanks to everyone on this site who helped us to plan. Amtrak is an adventure, and I would not have it any other way. Have a great trip. :)

Go for it. My wife have done three round trips to different places spending the night on the train so that no hotels where needed. Cleveland to Seattle was one of them. Spent the day in Seattle and came back on the same day. Cleveland , Boston , Washington , Cleveland was another. Got to spend a whole day in Washington on that one. Cleveland , Reno was another on the Zephyr. J ust a few hours in Reno on that one. [ About 3 hours ] Many thanks to everyone on this site who helped us to plan. Amtrak is an adventure, and I would not have it any other way. Have a great trip. :)
I took a train to Reno

just to watch it high-

-ball.

:lol:

Sarah, by all means book the trip. My first trip was Cleveland-Seattle-Emeryville-Cleveland. I was off the train only one night in Seattle. However, mine was all by coach. It was very interesting to say the least. Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back