Route Guides

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midland Valley

Lead Service Attendant
I dug out (from my treasure chest) a route guide for the Southwest Chief. I'm going to make a copy of it for my wice's boss who is going to LA on the Chief with her husband in Aug. (first time on a train). I thought it would be helpful for them to look for interesting things/places along the route. These were so helpful with the time listed for various points of interest. Why has Amtrak quit using these?

I got one of the Broadway Limited just weeks before it was discontinued. The Conductor had to really hunt to find one for me.

Actually, recently Amtrak has restarted using them on nearly all of there routes. Just go to Amtrak's website and go to some of the route pages and the have them online in .pdf format. Certainly a step in the right direction if you ask me.

What I (still) want to know is why Silver Service doesn't get a route guide.

Well, I checked out the route guide on the websight. It isn't nearly as helpful as the old ones were/are. There are many interesting sights missing and no times given so if you don't know here you are, you'll miss it.

Viewliner said:
What I (still) want to know is why Silver Service doesn't get a route guide.
We DO have route guides for the "Silver Service" trains. I have about thirty of them in my possession I keep with me in case I can't get them at the crewbase to distribute in the sleeper when I work them. I can send (e-mail PDF or snail mail) you one if it comes down to that! Just let me know. OBS...

OBS Employee,

If you can, I'd appreciate a copy of the .pdf file if you have it. I just haven't seen one on the Amtrak site yet, or last time I took Silver Service.

Thanks B)

OK, I'll have to scan it and put it into PDF format myself in order to do that. I'll do that when I get a chance, however, it would probably be a little easier for me (timewise) if you would PM a snail mail addy, and I can send you a couple hard copies (postage on me). OBS...

I got a Coast Starlite route guide when I rode 14 a few weeks ago while not long and as detailed as its predecessors it was nice to get. When at EMY last weekend I noticed they have CZ route guides in the same rack as the timetables.

I think if you go to www.amtrakguides.com/ you will find most of the route guides you might need. Some of them are the older, longer versions. For example, the older version of the SWC route guide is 15 pages long when printed.

Back