S/S+ Bonus Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
All,

So it looks like this year that I will easily make S and have a shot at S+ depending on how my holiday travels line up, and this being my first time reaching this status it leaves me with a question about how it is treated. I see on the AGR website that these two levels grant bonuses of 25% and 50% on points respectively. My question is do these bonus points count as rail points, i.e. a segment that would normally net me 100 rail points would now net me 125 rail points, or are they treated as any other bonus points, i.e. that same section would now net me 100 rail points and 25 bonus points. Just wondering as I begin to plan my travels for 2012, and I'd like to figure out whether or not I'll have a shot at making/keeping these levels for the next year.

Thanks!

DCTE

On average, a few times a year!
smile.gif

THE CURRENT PROMO!

Dave, unless I'm badly mis-informed though, you only rail points on the actual travel portion, the doubling is for "points", but not a doubling of the rail points.

I know you know this, but wanted the poster to know this to.

There, now everyone knows.

Call me a know-it-all. Not.

FROM WEBSITE:

Take home double points this fallMake fall twice as nice. With the Double Take promotion from Amtrak Guest Rewards® you'll earn double points the next time you head out to see the seasonal colors. Plus, you'll keep earning through November 23, 2011. All qualifying travel from the start of the promotion will earn double points. That means your points will add up faster to bring you closer to free Amtrak® travel.

Take it all in, and take home double points.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer online or by calling 1-800-307-5000 to participate. Earn double points on qualifying travel from September 7, 2011 12:00:00am CT through November 23, 2011 11:59:59 CT. Canceled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Members must include their membership number when making reservations for travel to qualify. Once registered, all qualifying travel during the promotion period will be awarded bonus points. Other terms and conditions may apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes there are rail point promos for S and S+ folks. Last year wasn't there a targeted offer to get back to S+ that offered extra rail points? I'm on my phone so I

Can't search for it now.

Sometimes there are rail point promos for S and S+ folks. Last year wasn't there a targeted offer to get back to S+ that offered extra rail points? I'm on my phone so I

Can't search for it now.
I believe there was one last fall. I am on the Capitol Limited now.

Can't search for it now.
I believe there was one last fall. I am on the Capitol Limited now.
I think it's been a couple of years since there was a promotion that offered bonus points that also counted as rail points. The promotions I remember were targeted promotion. It was not offered to all AGR members.

Hey, I'm on the Empire Builder now. :)

But most years, there has been a targeted offer to those who were Select Plus and were close to regaining that status, whereby they would count the fall double points promo towards retaining status. In other words, both the regular points would count towards status, as well as the bonus point from the promo. But that offer has always been targeted to specific members.

I'm doubly jealous: Not only did my ride on the EB end a day and a half ago (and I've already put in one night at work :eek: ) but I will never be able to get anywhere near select or select plus, unless I retire and retire rich. I'm not so sure even about the retirement part, much less the retire rich part. :(

You West coast folks definitely have a huge disadvantage for achieving S or S+ without th Acela. The only reason I am at Select so far this year is all my acela travel. At 500 or 750 each way the points add up quickly.

You West coast folks definitely have a huge disadvantage for achieving S or S+ without th Acela. The only reason I am at Select so far this year is all my acela travel. At 500 or 750 each way the points add up quickly.
That depends. There was a West Coast member here (not active lately) who took hundreds of short $6 trips on the Pacific Surfliner as a commuter. He flew past S+ in March of the year with minimum expenditure. There is another fellow at OTOL who heads from Stockton to San Francisco once or twice a week at 400 points each. He has 300 trips (30,000 AGR points minimum) so far this year. Someone with access to cheap Amtrak trips and the need or desire to ride over and over can leverage that into lots of AGR points and status.

I agree, can't knock the Cali folks ability to earn points.

SoCal is almost as good as the east coast when it comes to frequencies. ("almost") And the Bay Area is catching up too.

OK, so there IS a HUGE difference is the number of trains, but hey, looking at where SoCal and Bay Area came FROM, it is a great improvement!

I agree, can't knock the Cali folks ability to earn points.

SoCal is almost as good as the east coast when it comes to frequencies. ("almost") And the Bay Area is catching up too.

OK, so there IS a HUGE difference is the number of trains, but hey, looking at where SoCal and Bay Area came FROM, it is a great improvement!
One HUGE improvement for West Coast folks was the 100-point minimum. Initially, it was 2 points per dollar for all trips, so a $6 trip would earn 12 points. When the 100-point minimum came into being, the floodgates opened for frequent users of low fare services.

Back