Safe places to stay by Los Angeles Union Station (LAUS)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Until recently, as a foreign visitor, I have judged my safety in America through European eyes. I have often thought that many Americans automatically see "different" as "dangerous"...

With Covid, the impact on the economy, many more folk have fallen on hard times of course.

As an older person now, I wonder if my former blythe spirit approach could get me into trouble for real in todays America?

I have no issue with folk asking me for handouts, or walking in an untidy neighbourhood, but what is the reality of serious crime against ordinary tourists in big cities today?

Is crime mostly drug wars, holding up businesses, or does the data say ordinary tourist folk are in much real danger?

Probably the topic is just too wide open, but I imagine there must be info available on what types of crimes occur?

I've heard and read many a news story these days about random innocent people being attacked at various transportation stations. Is it happening more often, or is the news just reporting it more, I don't know - but it does seem like violent crime against innocent bystanders/travelers is increasing these days, and as a petite woman, it personally makes me nervous. Better safe than sorry. Here is a recent example:
CBS Denver Cameraman Assaulted at Union Station While Doing Story on Crime - Campfire Colorado

I might be misunderstanding the data on the crime map posted by Alice, but it seems that most crimes against the person happen during the daytime, rather than at night?
I find it hard to evaluate the info, in that while the crime map looks horrendous at first glance, it does not record the hundreds and thousands of folk in that time frame that didn't experience any issue?
I guess we all have to be sensible, and put our trust in the fact that most folk are pretty decent people.

I found it quite funny that the Denver cameraman got assaulted... Who would have thought that folk taking and dealing drugs might object to being photographed? Bit of a non story in my mind. ;)

Eric's link about tourist crime does say: "Furthermore, media coverage of crimes against tourists often tends to be out of proportion to the actual risk, having a profound effect on public perception of safety at particular locations. "

Again, I guess we all need to use common sense and not flash the cash, avoid dark alleys, but to still travel more in hope, than in fear...

Last edited:
I might be misunderstanding the data on the crime map posted by Alice, but it seems that most crimes against the person happen during the daytime, rather than at night?
I find it hard to evaluate the info, in that while the crime map looks horrendous at first glance, it does not record the hundreds and thousands of folk in that time frame that didn't experience any issue?
I guess we all have to be sensible, and put our trust in the fact that most folk are pretty decent people.

I found it quite funny that the Denver cameraman got assaulted... Who would have thought that folk taking and dealing drugs might object to being photographed? Bit of a non story in my mind. ;)

Eric's link about tourist crime does say: "Furthermore, media coverage of crimes against tourists often tends to be out of proportion to the actual risk, having a profound effect on public perception of safety at particular locations. "

Again, I guess we all need to use common sense and not flash the cash, avoid dark alleys, but to still travel more in hope, than in fear...

Trying to get a grip on changes in crime rates in the US is complicated right now by several factors:
  • Politicians are demagoguing the crime issue, which skews both public perceptions and news coverage.
  • The opioid epidemic has over the past decade resulted in both increased crime and shifts in where it happens.
  • Housing affordability is a crisis in most or all US cities and many or most rural places as well. This interacts with the opioid crisis to increase crime among and around the increasing homeless population.
  • During the Covid epidemic (which coincides with a time of much violent political rhetoric), homicides have spiked. Reasons are unclear, but the increase is real.
In short: Yes, there have recently been changes in crime rates in many places in the US---but it's been an uneven phenomenon with multiple interacting causes, and one that's still in flux. (FYI: I've been tracking news including this in western NC for a political campaign. My knowledge of this outside WNC is very incomplete.)

Nothing here readily translates to advice for travelers, other than a general warning that conditions in any particular place you go might have changed since you last visited.

Back