Safety Problem

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But for all we know this is some obscure branch that leads to one customer, who gets one delivery a week, and therefore it doesn't pay to make repairs to the track as long as it still meets Class I standards.
If a track is that lightly used, why would the railroad bother to meet class 1 track standards as long as those weekly deliveries are freight? Wouldn't meeting the excepted track standards be good enough? (Apparently you can even move hazmat cars on excepted track as long as you don't have more than five of them per train.)

But for all we know this is some obscure branch that leads to one customer, who gets one delivery a week, and therefore it doesn't pay to make repairs to the track as long as it still meets Class I standards.
If a track is that lightly used, why would the railroad bother to meet class 1 track standards as long as those weekly deliveries are freight? Wouldn't meeting the excepted track standards be good enough? (Apparently you can even move hazmat cars on excepted track as long as you don't have more than five of them per train.)
Hellllloooo disaster waiting to happen!

If you look at that again you see it as a repair with the rail about 1/2 car length. How long ago were those taken? And remember the quote "whatever happens ... stays on You Tube"
Aloha
January 5 2006. haven't heard of any derailments so i guess its not fixed. its on the CSX Bethlehem branch.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to Alan's point: When I was working overseas, I used to tell the new arriviing foreignors much the same thing I just said to you, but in reference to the country we happened to be in. For some very spcifically that, "If the urge comes over you to tell the people here how to run their country, put your lips in firm contact with each other until the urge passes." Generally people know quite well what needs doing in their own country and what and is being done and you have no idea of their daily realities or what is being done why and where. You are there as an invited (or maybe even uninvited) guest. Act like one.
George, may I fairly point out, that you constantly criticize the construction of foreign rail cars in a very similar vein?
You are missing my point. My point is that they seem to think that what they will accept in their own country should be accepted elsewhere, particularly in the US and that in general, we have to be stupid if we do not. Works both ways. On a project that shall remain nameless untill I no longer need to work, I saw use of US standards for some items cause trouble because the speciifier did not seem to understand the climatic and other differences between where he was and where he called home. The same thing can happen within the US when someone fails to grasp regional differences.

I could say al lot about the differences in track, but I won't for now.

Back