Salaries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billthebarn

Train Attendant
Many forum members remind us to tip Amtrak employees. I have heard (and this may be incorrect) that unlike waitstaff in resaurants where they work for minimum wage (or lower), waitresses and waiters on the trains are very well paid.

Let's take the Capital. How much would a waiter be paid for a round trip....WAS-CHI, CHI-WAS? If he was with Amtrak for two years? or twenty years?

Is this renumeration based on an 18 hour work day? a sixteen hour work day?

How many round trips per month can a waiter make?

I am considered a very good tipper. But not an automatic one. I don't usually tip for doing one's job. I reward for "over and above" service. In the case of restaurants, I tip between zero and twenty-five percent. I won't tip a bad waiter. He shouldn't be in a service job. The "tip jars" that have sprung up in retail establishments baffle me. I saw one recently in an auto parts store. lol!

My questions have to do with motivation...how Amtrak can get better.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

They are,on a moving train! They are away from their family for days! They are on call 24/7! They get taxed no matter if you tip or don't!

I tip if they provide good service because they are in a service job, just like pizza delivery, hair stylists, floral deliveries, bellhops, etc.

I don't know the answer, but consider this. Wait staff at a land based restaurant work from (say) 7 am to 3 pm, can step outside during their breaks if they want, and go home and spend time with their families every night, before returning to work the following morning. On the other hand, wait staff on a train report around 6 am, work all 3 meals and may not get back to their room on the train until 10 or 11 pm, then they get to do the same thing the following day at 6 am! And very rarely does anyone step off the train at 79 MPH and survive. Plus many do not get back to their families/home for a week or more!

Interesting question. I was of the impression that they were pretty well paid [looking through the Amtrak jobs available site] and although they do work 16hr days and 6 days back-to-back... then, at least the two I asked about such on the CZ, one got 6 days off before the next trip, the other 8 days off. I was left with the impression that money wasn't the way to say thank you, but in fact actually that: a long thank you. .... on the last CZ trip there were two which really made the trip special, and before getting off at LNK at 3am, I found them and went out of my way to explain that riding Amtrak is more than just a train ride, and the service people can make or break the trip... and for me they had very much made my trip, and I waned to thank them. In both cases as I tried to explain this, they both were ear to ear smiles, and when I was done both offered in return a deep thank you for saying such, .... as such, I wonder if a tip speaks more loudly than a protracted and personal thank you.

We all make decisions for what we do to make money. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Some in my family think that because I have an office job, I sit all day with my feet up. Not even close to the truth. The only time I am working with my feet up is when I am trying to sleep in bed but can't stop thinking about work. My wife's a teacher and they say, Oh you get the summers off. In reality it is only about two months and they don't see her grading papers and preparing lessons at home at night. If you add her hours worked together, she works more than a typical full time job.

If you think working in an Amtrak diner is so much better, go for it. I am sure it has some advantages but I am sure there are some downsides as well. I am sure there are times you get good tips, and others that the coffers are empty.

As far as tipping, tipping is not a guarantee. If you do your job, I will give something. If you are better than average or exceptional, you will get a better tip. However, if you do a bad job, I won't leave anything because I don't think you should reward bad service.

Interesting question. I was of the impression that they were pretty well paid [looking through the Amtrak jobs available site] and although they do work 16hr days and 6 days back-to-back... then, at least the two I asked about such on the CZ, one got 6 days off before the next trip, the other 8 days off. I was left with the impression that money wasn't the way to say thank you, but in fact actually that: a long thank you. .... on the last CZ trip there were two which really made the trip special, and before getting off at LNK at 3am, I found them and went out of my way to explain that riding Amtrak is more than just a train ride, and the service people can make or break the trip... and for me they had very much made my trip, and I waned to thank them. In both cases as I tried to explain this, they both were ear to ear smiles, and when I was done both offered in return a deep thank you for saying such, .... as such, I wonder if a tip speaks more loudly than a protracted and personal thank you.
Money is always the way the say thank you. Of course it can be in addition to a deep personal thank you, which I always give to staff, but I wouldn't cut out the tip for a heartfelt thank you.

My $0.02.

It is true that a complement sometimes goes a lot farther. I gave a compliment to a bus boy at a diner recently to the manager for going above and beyond. The manager must have said something to the bus boy and he came and thanked me so graciously.

Money is always the way the say thank you. Of course it can be in addition to a deep personal thank you, which I always give to staff, but I wouldn't cut out the tip for a heartfelt thank you.

My $0.02.
Maybe I spent too much time in Silicon Valley, where there are many many 100 millionaires, and as such money has lost it's "value," its specialness... but as such a personal thank is valued much more highly. Looking at the salaries, no I don't suspect they have everything and all of what they want, but they're not hurting.... and given the size of the smiles and the returned compliments - at the very least saying thank you didn't go unappreciated.

Thanks all, for the responses. However, I am looking for more definite answers. Let me re-ask:

Does anyone know how much a waiter with 20 years of service is paid for a round trip on the Capital? The same question for a person with only 2 years experience?

Is this figure based on that person working 24 hours per day, or 18, or 16?

Thanks again.

I still don't assume they aren't hurting, no matter how much they make. Nobody knows anyone's personal story. You could probably find out how much I make pretty easily, but what you don't see are my student loan payments and the money I send to my parents every month to help them out. So while you might think I have $800/month to spend willy-nilly, that money is spoken for.

While a heartfelt thank you is always appreciated, a heartfelt thank you with a $10 or $20 is like putting icing on the cupcake. :)

I don't know the answer, but consider this. Wait staff at a land based restaurant work from (say) 7 am to 3 pm, can step outside during their breaks if they want, and go home and spend time with their families every night, before returning to work the following morning. On the other hand, wait staff on a train report around 6 am, work all 3 meals and may not get back to their room on the train until 10 or 11 pm, then they get to do the same thing the following day at 6 am! And very rarely does anyone step off the train at 79 MPH and survive. Plus many do not get back to their families/home for a week or more!
and obs get 5 or more days off at the end of a round trip. not the case with many jobs. i worked 12 hour shifts the last few years before i retired. with a 12 you are basically away from the family the whole period you work but, i felt, the extra days off made up for that.

While a heartfelt thank you is always appreciated, a heartfelt thank you with a $10 or $20 is like putting icing on the cupcake. :)
i guess i'm just old fashioned. a heart felt thank you was very meaningful to me in my job (we weren't allowed to accept gratuities). as i understand it obs are union jobs with above average wages and benefits. my job was union with, i thought, pretty good wages and benefits. i remember some of the gratitude i got from those i helped. very meaningful to me as i said. when we felt management was giving us the short end of the stick we negotiated something better.

I tip because my mama taught me to tip. It's noblesse oblige. When I was in Europe I tipped 20% just as I do at home, because that's just who I am. I don't care what their salaries are; it's a question of being who you are.

In Japan the taxi driver gave the money back to me and I just tossed it on the ground; how dare he insult me like that. I'll never go back there again.

In America, everyone takes tips, even my congressman.

I tip because my mama taught me to tip. It's noblesse oblige. When I was in Europe I tipped 20% just as I do at home, because that's just who I am. I don't care what their salaries are; it's a question of being who you are.
In Japan the taxi driver gave the money back to me and I just tossed it on the ground; how dare he insult me like that. I'll never go back there again.

In America, everyone takes tips, even my congressman.
But in fact you were the one that insulted him... I believe the expression is: when in Rome do as the Romans do... ever heard the expression: the ugly American?

Personally I love 日本 と 日本銀 - have spend six months there over a dozen plus trips... always polite, always considerate people.

Amtrak, like most railroads has the majority of non-management workers represented by a Union. There are several that represent different segments of the work force (OBS, Conductors, Engineers, Ticket Agents, Mechanical, etc.). I don't know what the exact pay rate is for all of the different segments, and sometimes it depends on how much experience you have. For example, at Disney two folks doing the exact same job got different rates because of seniority, that's just the way the contract was. But consider the lifestyle that the OBS people have to live. There is a staff of three on some trains to operate the entire Dining Car, from food prep, to serving, to bussing, to cleaning, to accounting, three meals a day from open at 6:30A til close at 10 or 10:30. Additionally, some of the jobs can be gone from home for extended periods of time. Back in the day when the Sunset ran all the way to Orlando that job worked 7 days straight. Granted it had 9 days off between runs, but I don't care who you are that's a long time to be on the road working 16 hour days. You deserve 9 days off after that. Additionally don't forget, not everyone on OBS will get 4 or 5 days off after a 4 or 5 day trip. If the employee is on the extra board they may only get 3, 2, 1, or no days off before they're back out on the road. So, are these guys paid well? Yes. But, how many of you would spend that much time away from your husband/wife and kids to work 16 hour days while you're gone?

I cannot agree that the dining car crew works 16 hours a day. I have never seen anything on my many Amtrak LD trips to lead me to this belief. Instead what I have seen is an empty dining car, or with other staff members like conductors or sleeping car attendants hanging out, for many, perhaps most, hours of the day. They also have their own dorm car with private lounge space down below to which they can and do retreat in addition to hanging out/socializing in the dining car. As we all know, they also reserve space for themselves to do this that customers cannot use. I have read that the Cross Country Diners, on the other hand, were intended to stay open all the time but I guess the crew simply refused to do this because it never happened. The simple fact that they are at the work place does not mean that they are working - most of us know this from our own personal experience. And that's OK, but let's not say that they work 16 hours/day because they do not. If the pay/schedule is unsatisfactory, take it up with the union, don't take it out on the customer.

Amtrak, like most railroads has the majority of non-management workers represented by a Union. There are several that represent different segments of the work force (OBS, Conductors, Engineers, Ticket Agents, Mechanical, etc.). I don't know what the exact pay rate is for all of the different segments, and sometimes it depends on how much experience you have. For example, at Disney two folks doing the exact same job got different rates because of seniority, that's just the way the contract was. But consider the lifestyle that the OBS people have to live. There is a staff of three on some trains to operate the entire Dining Car, from food prep, to serving, to bussing, to cleaning, to accounting, three meals a day from open at 6:30A til close at 10 or 10:30. Additionally, some of the jobs can be gone from home for extended periods of time. Back in the day when the Sunset ran all the way to Orlando that job worked 7 days straight. Granted it had 9 days off between runs, but I don't care who you are that's a long time to be on the road working 16 hour days. You deserve 9 days off after that. Additionally don't forget, not everyone on OBS will get 4 or 5 days off after a 4 or 5 day trip. If the employee is on the extra board they may only get 3, 2, 1, or no days off before they're back out on the road. So, are these guys paid well? Yes. But, how many of you would spend that much time away from your husband/wife and kids to work 16 hour days while you're gone?
But I think there is a self-selecting principle involved here, not to argue with what you've said above: in the 70's I was close to Pam-Am (remember them??) flight crews based in SEA, and they basically lived the same type of lives - and for those that would rather go to the same office, the same desk, 50 weeks a year - yes they were unpleasant, uninviting jobs; yet for those that sought those jobs, they said the same thing about having to go to the same desk 50 weeks a year.

I cannot agree that the dining car crew works 16 hours a day. I have never seen anything on my many Amtrak LD trips to lead me to this belief. Instead what I have seen is an empty dining car, or with other staff members like conductors or sleeping car attendants hanging out, for many, perhaps most, hours of the day.
So by the same token, an employee who works (as the saying goes) 9 to 5 does not work 8 hours a day either! They should not be paid for 8 hours. They do not work during lunch, "coffee breaks", time at the water cooler, time sitting at their desk not working, time on the computer checking AU, etc...! Most workers should only receive a paycheck for 4-5 hours a day.
That's similar to the dining car crew "hanging out ... hours of the day"! As the saying goes, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander". Let's see if you stay quiet when your next paycheck only says you only worked 4-5 hours a day. I'm certain you will not complain at all!

I cannot agree that the dining car crew works 16 hours a day. I have never seen anything on my many Amtrak LD trips to lead me to this belief.
From the Blue Book:

b) Hours of Service – Dining Car hours for mealservice are general timeframes that may be subject

to some variation by specific train or expanded

during seasonal or peak travel periods:

• Breakfast 6:30 am – 10:00 am

• Lunch 11:30 am – 3:00 pm

• Dinner 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm
There's 11 hours of mealtime.

Add a half hour of prep, an hour of cleanup for each meal, and a half hour of time taking dinner reservations and you have a 16 hour workday that stretches from 6 in the morning until 10 at night.

The simple fact that they are at the work place does not mean that they are working - most of us know this from our own personal experience. And that's OK, but let's not say that they work 16 hours/day because they do not. If the pay/schedule is unsatisfactory, take it up with the union, don't take it out on the customer.
Well you're half right. They're at the workplace 24 hours a day for as long as the trip takes and "only" work 16 hours of each day.
Personally, I don't care what hours they work or what they get paid. You do me the service of taking my order and bringing my food to the table, you get a tip.

Personally, I don't care what hours they work or what they get paid. You do me the service of taking my order and bringing my food to the table, you get a tip.
ryan, i certainly understand your point of view. my question is why do obs, who are paid much above minimum wage deserve a tip for doing their job when so many other workers do not get gratuities. the nurse aid in the old folks home, the garbage man, the guy who changes the oil in your car, the cashier at wal-mart, the school teacher, the secy in the doc's office. all these folks are away from home doing difficult jobs. many people work a week on and a week off which is held up as an obs brutal schedule. i have worked similar schedules and about halfway through swear i wouldn't do it again until the joy of a week off with friends and family. i still think a "gosh, that was just wonderful. thanks a lot" is worth more than 5 bucks if the employee is being fairly compensated in the first place

I cannot agree that the dining car crew works 16 hours a day. I have never seen anything on my many Amtrak LD trips to lead me to this belief. Instead what I have seen is an empty dining car, or with other staff members like conductors or sleeping car attendants hanging out, for many, perhaps most, hours of the day.
So by the same token, an employee who works (as the saying goes) 9 to 5 does not work 8 hours a day either! They should not be paid for 8 hours. They do not work during lunch, "coffee breaks", time at the water cooler, time sitting at their desk not working, time on the computer checking AU, etc...! Most workers should only receive a paycheck for 4-5 hours a day.
That's similar to the dining car crew "hanging out ... hours of the day"! As the saying goes, "What's good for the goose is good for the gander". Let's see if you stay quiet when your next paycheck only says you only worked 4-5 hours a day. I'm certain you will not complain at all!
No offense, traveler, but I've been employed most of my adult life and have never had a full time job where I worked only 4-5 hours a day. You are very fortunate if you can work that few hours per day.

As an elementary school teacher, I can vouch for benjibear's assessment of teaching. My husband used to tell me that if I averaged all the time I spent working, I didn't make minimum wage. He was only partly joking.

Before I earned my teaching degrees and began teaching, I had also worked as secretary to a purchasing manager (which also involved checking some accounts payable work), in accounts receivable, and in the admissions office of a hospital. The admissions job had more down time than the others, but I always worked more than five hours a day even there. When there was no one to be admitted, we helped with patient accounts and on the switchboard (for those who know what a "switchboard" was, LOL). And, none of those jobs were what would be considered well paid, and I have never worked in a union job. My teaching job was the only one that necessitated routinely working extra hours on the job and at home, but all kept me pretty darn busy while I was at the workplace.

This in no way answered the OP's question, but I had to comment on the "4-5 hours a day" thing! At the very least, let's say that not everyone has a job like that, for sure.

FWIW: Hubby and I always tipped our SCA, and tipped the dining car attendant as in a restaurant--about 20% of the menu prices for average service. I can see why some think that might be a little high on top of their salaries, but that's just what we always did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back