Sale on LD trips starting next week.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's honestly not that great at all - you save 20%, but in exchange your ticket is non-refundable and you can't upgrade to a sleeper (and the discount is not stackable). If I were booking for that time period, I'd probably opt for full fare even if traveling coach (I'd at least want the possibility of an on-board upgrade, not to mention the refundable ticket). If you use AAA, NARP, senior discount or the like you get at least 10% off anyway - and without the strings attached. Now, if it were 50% off it might be worth it...
^ This. Amtrak's seasonal discounts are basically useless in my experience. They provide little if any real discount while taking away many of the inherent benefits of using Amtrak. It's not just a wash, it's a net negative. My advice is to stay away from "offers" such as this.

That's honestly not that great at all -
Amtrak's seasonal discounts are basically useless in my experience. They provide little if any real discount while taking away many of the inherent benefits of using Amtrak. It's not just a wash, it's a net negative. My advice is to stay away from "offers" such as this.
Speak for yourself. I had booked round-trips on behalf of several family members traveling on the Empire Builder later this month. These travelers did not qualify for any other discounts,

were sure of their travel plans (having already booked the tickets), and had no interest or need to upgrade to a sleeper. This morning once I saw the sale, I cancelled and rebooked

all of their tickets. The time it took me to do this was under 10 minutes, and I was able to save them a grand total of $204. Remind me again why this is a bad idea....?

Speak for yourself. I had booked round-trips on behalf of several family members traveling on the Empire Builder later this month. These travelers did not qualify for any other discounts, were sure of their travel plans (having already booked the tickets), and had no interest or need to upgrade to a sleeper. This morning once I saw the sale, I cancelled and rebooked all of their tickets. The time it took me to do this was under 10 minutes, and I was able to save them a grand total of $204. Remind me again why this is a bad idea....?
I'm happy for your savings. It's good thing you started out with regular tickets that came with the benefit of cancellation so you could make that change. In my case and in the case of my family the slight improvement over our standard discounts for seasonal coach-only fares is generally too low to be enough of a benefit to take on the added risk of losing a refund if a change in our plans or obligations ends up altering any of our dates or times.

I was hoping for dates to extend into May, wishful thinking I know. I normally and legitimately claim the AAA discount so an additional 10% off in exchange for ambiguous change policies is not something I am going to jump on unless my travel is certain. Although I did gamble on a weekly specials seat at 25% off so maybe I just need a little more motivation.

In my case and in the case of my family the slight improvement over our standard discounts for seasonal coach-only fares is generally too low to be enough of a benefit to take on the added risk of losing a refund if a change in our plans or obligations ends up altering any of our dates or times.
If you were simply to alter the date and time of your travel, you would still bear no risk under this sale. The T&C state that exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period. So while an outright refund is not possible with the sale price, you can still change the date. If you decided not to travel at all, then yes you would be out of luck. But with the sale dates being so limited this isn't a case of someone booking a trip months in advance and then having a change of heart.

Frankly I purchase non-refundable/non-exchangeable airline tickets all the time, sometime for months ahead of time. So buying a non-refundable but fully exchangeable train ticket is no biggie. Paying regular price in this case would effectively be the same as purchasing travel insurance. In some situations that's a good idea but for a domestic coach train ticket I don't think it's necessary.

But you're right, if I or my family qualified for the "standard" discounts then I'd be less likely to take advantage of this sale.

If you were simply to alter the date and time of your travel, you would still bear no risk under this sale. The T&C state that exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period. So while an outright refund is not possible with the sale price, you can still change the date.
Most of our trips involve the Sunset Limited in one way or another. Since the Limited only runs runs once every few days it's already pretty rare that it just happens to be running on a date and time we're looking to travel. In those situations even the most minor of changes to the schedule (whether by us or by Amtrak) will generally require a change to a flight or automobile. A non-refundable 10% (additional) discount is not going to mean much in that situation. The Texas Eagle runs daily but even in that situation the rule against sleeper upgrades kills much of the potential usefulness. So, for us, these offers are not worth the added restrictions.

Frankly I purchase non-refundable/non-exchangeable airline tickets all the time, sometime for months ahead of time. So buying a non-refundable but fully exchangeable train ticket is no biggie. Paying regular price in this case would effectively be the same as purchasing travel insurance.
No travel insurance policy I've ever looked at offered an immediate cash/credit refund with no paperwork and no questions asked like Amtrak does. As for airline tickets I generally pick Southwest precisely because there is no penalty for changes in date or time. All you have to do is pay the difference in fares and you're on your way. In the end I guess this is just another example of "to each his own." ^_^

If you were simply to alter the date and time of your travel, you would still bear no risk under this sale. The T&C state that exchanges are permitted within the ticket validity period. So while an outright refund is not possible with the sale price, you can still change the date.
Most of our trips involve the Sunset Limited in one way or another. Since the Limited only runs runs once every few days it's already pretty rare that it just happens to be running on a date and time we're looking to travel. In those situations even the most minor of changes to the schedule (whether by us or by Amtrak) will generally require a change to a flight or automobile. A non-refundable 10% (additional) discount is not going to mean much in that situation. The Texas Eagle runs daily but even in that situation the rule against sleeper upgrades kills much of the potential usefulness. So, for us, these offers are not worth the added restrictions.
While I understand all that you say, just to be clear let me please point out that you just can't get a refund. Yes, this can be a problem for some who must have the money back right away. But my point is that you can exchange those tickets, provided you did call Amtrak to say I'm not riding that day, for up to 1 year for a different trip. So your money, while not available to you, isn't lost provided you do plan to take another trip within a year.

I'm inclined to stay away from these specials as well...the main jam is that unless I'm booking something for late January, the degree of planning involved is not something I tend to enjoy. Particularly with the 10% AAA offer (to say nothing of the inability to upgrade, presumably even an on-board upgrade), the offer just isn't worth anything to me. To echo the above sentiment, if the offer were 30-40% off of your coach fare (you pay whatever the sleeper accommodation charge is, regardless, but you can upgrade) then I might consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back