same old discounts....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It gets to be frustraing with all the rail prices....for people like me, the AAA, senior, ect rates dont apply. They have specials for certain trains, people with kids or even a companion. I ask about promo codes and people ALWAYS respond with the same ones listed above or send you to railserve.....where do the single riders get in on a deal.

Do you own a car? If so, joining AAA might be something to consider. It has lots of advantages/discounts. I've had AAA for years. Its great to be able to call them if I need car assistance (dead battery, need a tow, etc).

As far as AAA discounts on Amtrak. It only applies to coach and if you book 14+ days in advance, then the 14+-day Amtrak discount is less than the AAA discount (and Amtrak's website will let you know this when you try to apply the AAA discount).

I just got an email from AGR about a sale. It is 20% off 'select routes' if you book by June 24. I don't know if that helps you, but it could be worth looking into.

It gets to be frustraing with all the rail prices....for people like me, the AAA, senior, ect rates dont apply. They have specials for certain trains, people with kids or even a companion. I ask about promo codes and people ALWAYS respond with the same ones listed above or send you to railserve.....where do the single riders get in on a deal.
Well right now it looks like they are doing a 20% off sale on select LD routes - no coupon code required.

There are almost always 10-20% off rail fares on the NEC if you book to/from certain states, you just have to know where to look. For example, for the past couple of years there has been a discount on railfare to/from RI, but you only get the discount if you start at www.amtrak.com/visitRI and book from that page. This year it is 15%. There are several other states (Mass I think is one) that offer similar deals.

thank you guys for the input.....Im going from Philly to Toledo.....there are never any discounts for these...and the longer I wait, the worse the price gets....might just have to cancel the idea..

Do you own a car? If so, joining AAA might be something to consider. It has lots of advantages/discounts. I've had AAA for years. Its great to be able to call them if I need car assistance (dead battery, need a tow, etc).

As far as AAA discounts on Amtrak. It only applies to coach and if you book 14+ days in advance, then the 14+-day Amtrak discount is less than the AAA discount (and Amtrak's website will let you know this when you try to apply the AAA discount).
Sorry, already said I dont use that....but thank you. I have ridden Amtrak several times....I would like a discount to places I am going or being a single rider. They dont give anything for things like that...most of the time they cater to other areas..

There is not alot of options for me going from Philly to Toledo, ohio

Even if you don't own a car, it is worth joining. AAA covers the member, not the car! If you are riding with your friend, and the car breaks down, needs towing, etc..., that car is covered - because a AAA member is in the car!
biggrin.gif

Plus with all the other discounts, you may recover your membership fee - and then some! And don't forget the 10% discount on Amtrak!
tongue.gif

You might consider joining NARP, as a student, just for the Amtrak discount of 10% off coach prices, as long as you book at least 3 days in advance, blah, blah, blah........

Here's a link to NARP's Amtrak Discount Terms And Conditions.

Student rate is $20, good for a year, and on a RT from Philly to Toledo, would/could save you about $25.00. (your actual savings will depend upon the prices when you book)

And, make sure that you join Amtrak's Guest Rewards program, 'cause you can rack up some "points" that you can use for free travel pretty fast. (even faster if you are credit-worthy, and you accept their CC offer.......)

If you aren't a member, and would like to earn a possible 500 free bonus points, send me a Private Message with your email address, and I'll make sure you get an invitation to join.

That's all I can think of.

thank you guys for the input.....Im going from Philly to Toledo.....there are never any discounts for these...and the longer I wait, the worse the price gets....might just have to cancel the idea..
If you book by June 24th, there is currently a 20% discount on the CL and LSL. Wouldn't you take one of those to Toledo, OH from PHL?!

There's a fall deal for 20% off if you book by the 24th. 20% off low bucket ain't bad if you plan this far out. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a fall deal for 20% off if you book by the 24th. 20% off low bucket ain't bad if you plan this far out. ^_^
June 23 Philly to Toledo.....needs to be the 1258 train, my aunt is leaving at this time......shows me 120 (not complaining on this one)

June 30 Toledo to Philly----shows me 150 for a return. I wont do the 130 price, it lands me in Pittsburgh at 430am, no going to sit there alone at that time of the morning.

and these are the same prices that were posted last week, so I dont know where the 20% comes in on it. And I just looked to see what a last min ticket would be, say if I left today....its 150...so wth I am booking more then 14 days out.

Some referred to the discounts only covering coach. That, I believe, I not entirely accurate. The discounts (like AAA or NARP) are applied to railfare which is paid whether you are in coach or sleeper.

You might consider joining NARP, as a student, just for the Amtrak discount of 10% off coach prices, as long as you book at least 3 days in advance, blah, blah, blah........

Here's a link to NARP's Amtrak Discount Terms And Conditions.

Student rate is $20, good for a year, and on a RT from Philly to Toledo, would/could save you about $25.00. (your actual savings will depend upon the prices when you book)

And, make sure that you join Amtrak's Guest Rewards program, 'cause you can rack up some "points" that you can use for free travel pretty fast. (even faster if you are credit-worthy, and you accept their CC offer.......)

If you aren't a member, and would like to earn a possible 500 free bonus points, send me a Private Message with your email address, and I'll make sure you get an invitation to join.

That's all I can think of.
I would totally sign up for that, however I already have the Student Advantage card which was $20 for a year and gets me 15% off, and sadly you can't combine lol

Some referred to the discounts only covering coach. That, I believe, I not entirely accurate. The discounts (like AAA or NARP) are applied to railfare which is paid whether you are in coach or sleeper.
Although you are technically correct it's easy to forgive such wording. You're talking about a discount on a tiny little portion of the total ticket that becomes almost insignificant in comparison to the full cost of reserving a sleeper. In most cases the discounts Amtrak allows in my situations aren't enough to even buy me a single domestic beer on the train and they don't go up no matter how much I spend. So, while the coach passenger sitting next to you might have saved a nice $20 off their $100 fare you might only be saving $3.50 off your $500 sleeper ticket due to how Amtrak prices and discounts their tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I meant, the railfare. The discount is not applied to the room(ette), just to the railfare.

Being an AGR member also gets you some good stuff. For example, right now they have a special where you can buy up to 10,000 AGR points (the yearly limit) and you'll get a bonus of 30% more. That's up to 3333 free points. I wish they would have done that a few weeks ago, when I bought my 10,000 points!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back