San Antonio station opinions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinslot

Service Attendant
At the end of the month I am doing LAX to SAS, SAS to NOL, and NOL back to PHL. The SAS part of my journey worries me--this is not a major station, correct? Will I have a hard time getting a cab at 5 AM if the Sunset gets there on time? I assume baggage assistance will be nonexistent.

The SAS part of my journey worries me--this is not a major station, correct?
Personally I'd call it a mid-sized station. There are much larger and much smaller stations than SAS.

Will I have a hard time getting a cab at 5 AM if the Sunset gets there on time?
Most of the time at least one taxicab will meet the train and you can ask them to call other cabs if there aren't enough available. We also have Uber and Lyft.

I assume baggage assistance will be nonexistent.
There are no redcaps but there will be someone checking bag tags. One of the benefits to being a medium sized station is that there is very little distance between the luggage pickup area and taxi cab parking area. If you need help with luggage the taxi driver should be able to assist.

I have come in to SAS on Amtrak several times. There is always at least one cab there, except the night it snowed and there was no one driving on the streets at all (we walked). However, there may only be one or two cabs, so it's a good idea to be the first one off the train and to step lively towards the curb by the station.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

My biggest worry was getting my luggage to the taxi since I have more stuff than I can carry in a single load. But when I arrived the station was full of people (who seemed to be actual travelers, as opposed to the transients who can show up in any public waiting room) and there was a security guard there so I felt safe leaving a few bags behind while I ran out with one load to the taxi. And the taxi picks you up right outside the waiting room.

I used Yellow Cab since the first cab was taken while I waited for checked baggage.

Back