Savannah Group Studies Atlanta Rail Link

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll for one the trackage still exists. The old Central RR of Georgia station in still in top shape (but now a museum) and the old Southern station was demolished long ago. It would be possible to establish rail service from Savannah to Atlanta but would take millions in new equipment to up grade the trackage and come up with an agreement with the freight railroads. Unlikely at this point.

I remember watching an Amtrak demonstration train leave Atlanta for Savannah in 1980. This talk has been going on for a very long time, and I don't doubt that there were be significant ridership.

It's only a question of politics and money. Norfolk Southern requires that CTC be installed Macon-Savannah, nearly all of which is currently dark. The ex-CofG Atlanta-Macon would also need heavy work. Equipment and locomotives would have to be purchased. There's the question of an adequate station in Atlanta because NS doesn't want more passenger trains to block the main line at Brookwood. Macon and other intermediate stops would need stations. (The existing ACL/Amtrak station at Savannah, however, could handle it.)

North Carolina has overcome similar obstacles to run multiple Charlotte-Greensboro-Raleigh trains, although in fairness to Georgia the North Carolina situation was not so difficult. The state of NC owns the underlying railroad, and distances are shorter, and track conditions Charlotte-Greensboro were good before the improvements began -- although track capacity Charlotte-Greensboro was, and still is, an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well for one the trackage still exists. The old Central RR of Georgia station in still in top shape (but now a museum) and the old Southern station was demolished long ago. It would be possible to establish rail service from Savannah to Atlanta but would take millions in new equipment to up grade the trackage and come up with an agreement with the freight railroads. Unlikely at this point.
The estimate just for Atlanta-Griffin is in the $200M - $300M range, including some equipment. I would guess the full Atlanta-Savannah upgrade cost would be at least $1B.

I was just reading about a car that formerly did the Savannah - Atlanta run here: http://261.com/2011/11/ (look at the Update from the 'Coach Yard')

I wonder if ol' 542 will still be on the rails when (if) service is ever restored? :unsure:

I remember watching an Amtrak demonstration train leave Atlanta for Savannah in 1980. This talk has been going on for a very long time, and I don't doubt that there were be significant ridership.

It's only a question of politics and money. Norfolk Southern requires that CTC be installed Macon-Savannah, nearly all of which is currently dark. The ex-CofG Atlanta-Macon would also need heavy work. Equipment and locomotives would have to be purchased. There's the question of an adequate station in Atlanta because NS doesn't want more passenger trains to block the main line at Brookwood. Macon and other intermediate stops would need stations. (The existing ACL/Amtrak station at Savannah, however, could handle it.)

North Carolina has overcome similar obstacles to run multiple Charlotte-Greensboro-Raleigh trains, although in fairness to Georgia the North Carolina situation was not so difficult. The state of NC owns the underlying railroad, and distances are shorter, and track conditions Charlotte-Greensboro were good before the improvements began -- although track capacity Charlotte-Greensboro was, and still is, an issue.
I believe it was in 2002 that Atmrak ran a special train from Atlanta to Savannah for the a group of Black Mayors from around the country. It was a slow trip, but as noted, it is possible - just find the money. It would be a great connection to allow Atlanta travel to Florida via Savannah.

I believe it was in 2002 that Atmrak ran a special train from Atlanta to Savannah for the a group of Black Mayors from around the country. It was a slow trip, but as noted, it is possible - just find the money. It would be a great connection to allow Atlanta travel to Florida via Savannah.
I took two trips to Savannah in the 1990s aboard New Georgia Railroad excursion trains - once behind steam. I was a good 12 hour trip.

I was just reading about a car that formerly did the Savannah - Atlanta run here: http://261.com/2011/11/ (look at the Update from the 'Coach Yard')

I wonder if ol' 542 will still be on the rails when (if) service is ever restored? :unsure:
Could always use the Nancy Hanks engine #750 which is located in the Atlanta area:

http://srmduluth.org/Exhibits/steam.shtml
Sorry, but 750 was never a Nancy Hanks engine. It was a Savannah and Atlanta Railroad alright, but the S&A never connected the two cities. The Nancy Hanks was a Central of Georgia train.

It may just be me, but it seems the two alignments, the NS and CofG both seem a bit out of the way, NS moreso than the CofG. Depending on how much money the state would be willing to shell out, I say run the Macon-Savannah segment right down the Median of I-16 as fast as the curves and DoT will allow (would anyone really want to be going 70mph and have a 220mph train blast up on their left just 30 ft away?). Now I personally would want to build a new Savannah terminal right where I-16 terminates, but more realistically speaking, you could get away with connecting this to the current, out of the way station.

(would anyone really want to be going 70mph and have a 220mph train blast up on their left just 30 ft away?)
No, they'd want to be on that train blasting up on the poor schlep 30 feet to their right going less than a third as fast.

Could always use the Nancy Hanks engine #750 which is located in the Atlanta area:

http://srmduluth.org...its/steam.shtml
Sorry, but 750 was never a Nancy Hanks engine. It was a Savannah and Atlanta Railroad alright, but the S&A never connected the two cities. The Nancy Hanks was a Central of Georgia train.
I beg to differ:

http://www.srmduluth.org/Features/BookReviews/cofg.htm

I beg to differ:

Oh, I think the point here is that 750 was on the last run of the Nancy as a publicity stunt. But for regular use the NH was always powered by a diesel since its inception in 1947

Funny thing, since I moved to Atlanta in 1977 the one train I have heard mentioned the most by locals is the Nancy. Second: Silver Comet, third: nothing.

There used to be a giant department store named Richs just a stroll from either downtown station. Shoppers flocked to Rich's from all over the southeast by train and bus. The days of major downtown shopping are gone.

The Nancy had a good schedule for shoppers. She left Savannah 7 am got to ATL at 1 pm Coming back left ATL at 6 pm and got to Savannah just before midnight.

Mother and I were part of this but we were coming from Chattanooga. Like I say, all over the southeast.

I beg to differ:

Oh, I think the point here is that 750 was on the last run of the Nancy as a publicity stunt. But for regular use the NH was always powered by a diesel since its inception in 1947

Funny thing, since I moved to Atlanta in 1977 the one train I have heard mentioned the most by locals is the Nancy. Second: Silver Comet, third: nothing.

There used to be a giant department store named Richs just a stroll from either downtown station. Shoppers flocked to Rich's from all over the southeast by train and bus. The days of major downtown shopping are gone.

The Nancy had a good schedule for shoppers. She left Savannah 7 am got to ATL at 1 pm Coming back left ATL at 6 pm and got to Savannah just before midnight.

Mother and I were part of this but we were coming from Chattanooga. Like I say, all over the southeast.
The Man 'O War (Atlanta-Columbus, GA) was around then also, but didn't get much press. Alas, the track it ran on has been pulled up. At least the NH route is still pretty much intact.

There's no chance of running on the ex-Southern between Atlanta and Macon. Not only does that route carry heavy freight traffic, it's one sharp curve after another. As for I-16, sure, if you have a zillion dollars you could build down the median. But that's utterly inconceivable.

The SEHSR recommendation is Atlanta-Macon-Jesup-Savannah over the lightly used ex-Southern Macon-Jesup and the ex-ACL Jesup-Savannah. This route is also a little out of the way, and it would require extensive track work. But it would allow Atlanta-Florida via Jesup someday.

Everyone agrees that the Savannah station sits in an uninspiring locale. But when you look at the options available to the ACL at the time, none of them were good -- assuming the station had to be a run-through configuration, not a stub-end. Unlike many other stations, parking at Savannah is plentiful (and free).

The CofG that runs from Savannah to Macon via Millen is actually quite good track. Welded railed, too. It is busy, but Sav to Millen is pretty straight and it looks like the rest is gentle curves - looks to be good 50 mph at least.

In my opinion, the biggest issue is the utter lack of passengers to service along the way.

As for running the I-16 median, it worked for the NM Railrunner and was the preferred alignment, despite some hefty grades.

As for Jesup, it's 1:10 on the current Amtrak timetable from Savannah. And that is on prime CSX Mainline. Unfortunately, it is only 1/4 of the way to Macon, looking like almost 6 hours just to get to Macon.

As much as I hate to say it, perhaps Atlanta running a commuter to Macon first, then later add a Macon to Savannah commuter. Not a one seater, but a connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back