SB Starlight to EB Calif Zephyr -- where to transfer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swimmingcat

Train Attendant
I'm about to book passage (one way) from Seattle to Denver, plans are to do SB Starlight (#11?), transferring to EB Zephyr (#6). Plan now is for Coach on Starlight, Roomette on #6, leaving Seattle on July # (arrive Denver Jul #). I know that the layover in SAC is "guaranteed" but I'm debating doing it this way, or perhaps riding to MTZ and transferring there? (less wait time obviously). I'm wondering what any of you have done regarding this, and how it worked out? I realize that if I check bags to say, MTZ, and the CS is running very late, and I 'bail out' before MTZ I'd have a baggage issue, but is there anything else to consider? (bfast on CS after SAC is one thing). I've waited at SAC in the past & even walked into downtown. Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you check your bag(s) from SEA straight to DEN, they will be transferred for you, taken off the CS in SAC and put on the CZ.

What I have done is book SEA-DEN with a transfer in SAC. (This gives a thru fare and is lower.) Then I booked a separate reservation from SAC--MTZ round trip on the CS and CZ. If by chance the CS was late, you could bail early.

What I have done is book SEA-DEN with a transfer in SAC. (This gives a thru fare and is lower.) Then I booked a separate reservation from SAC--MTZ round trip on the CS and CZ. If by chance the CS was late, you could bail early.
A reasonable plan, but if the OP is paying $$$ for the trip and wants AGR points, they shouldn't put their AGR # in the rezzy for SAC-MTZ and back, because

they might get hosed on the points.

It's only $1 more to get off in Davis than Sacramento. If the CS is on time (which it usually is) you will sit on the train for at least 10 minutes before leaving for Davis.

I do have a favorite breakfast place in Sacramento, but I just found out that there is a Black Bear Diner 0.4 mi. west of the Davis station on 2nd.

I could be persuaded to spend 3 to 3.5 hours in Davis instead of 4.5 in Sacramento when the California Railroad Museum is not open.

Sacramento Is sort of dead from 6:30 to 10 AM. Check your bags to Denver and they will be transferred in Sacramento to the Zephyr.

Well yesterday I booked passage on this route, transferring in SAC. Yes there is that 'almost 5 hr' layover there, but being the conservative type, I'd rather take that than transferring further downline. I figured I could have breakfast in SAC & maybe walk around a bit. Or even better, being a masters swimmer, I could find a downtown or nearby health club with a pool & pay a drop-in rate & swim a few or several thousand yards, then get on the EB Zephyr & not feel guilty about eating the 5 upcoming meals! :) US Masters swimming has a 'places to swim' listing for the country I can check on before leaving. I'm certainly not missing any meals on #6 doing it this way- I'll just play it by ear.

Here's hoping that your transfer is not a Monday or Tuesday! Jim Denny's is closed those days. http://www.yelp.com/biz/jim-dennys-sacramento

Walking directions are walk east on H street about 7 blocks to 12th. Turn right (south) half a block (between H and I St.).

The hubcap even without the spokes is probably more than you should eat before swimming. Opens at 7AM. Wed-Sun.

I'm staying at the Vagabond inn across the street from the SAC amtrak station - looks like there's a pool there, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten gas station soft drinks that are bigger.

Previous threads have discussed detraining from #11 at Davis and boarding #6 there, as there are several nice cafes to enjoy breakfast within a couple blocks of the Davis Amtrak station.

Off Topic, Cina thanks for the heads up about the Vagabond Inn. I was going to stay at a hotel on Richards Blvd. off the NB Starlight. Vagabond Inn even has a free shuttle if I don't want walk through their parking lot a midnight (or 1:00 Am or later)

I saw they have a shuttle, not sure if I'm gonna ring for it, though I am a little nervous about walking in the middle of the night as well :p

I had a really nice breakfast in SAC. It was a British place with awesome breakfast. I can't remember the name right now but it will come to me.

ETA - The Fox and the Goose!

I have made the transfer in both Sacramento and Davis. Sacramento gives you more time to walk to the diner which is just across the street and to the right as you leave the station. But Davis also has a great cafe near the station for breakfast. I have done both.

I saw they have a shuttle, not sure if I'm gonna ring for it, though I am a little nervous about walking in the middle of the night as well :p
The walk to the Vagabond is not terribly unsafe even at 1AM. I'd just use standard precautions that you should use in any city. Be aware of your surroundings. It's more of an issue that it is kind of a round about walk to the hotel. You cant just walk straight across the street to it. If they offer a shuttle and you have luggage with you I'd go for it just for the convenience.

The walk to the Vagabond is not terribly unsafe even at 1AM. I'd just use standard precautions that you should use in any city. Be aware of your surroundings. It's more of an issue that it is kind of a round about walk to the hotel. You cant just walk straight across the street to it. If they offer a shuttle and you have luggage with you I'd go for it just for the convenience.
The walk between Amtrak and Vagabond Inn is more direct since they added a crosswalk and traffic light recently at 4th, right at the base of the freeway onramp. I concur about safety, never felt uncomfortable at the old crossing.

Oooh, good to know about the crosswalk! When I looked it up on google street view it looked like a convoluted walk, but that crosswalk must be new since Google went through.

I was just through SAC in April. The CS was several hours late not picking us up until 3am. I felt very safe as a single older disabled woman walking around the station area. I walked outside to get air and there was no one hanging around. The cross walk is right out in front of the station and looks safe to get to the Vagabond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back