Scanner, Amtrak/Host Frequencies & General Advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DryCreek

Lead Service Attendant
Howdy,

Quick question for those of you familiar with the use of scanners while aboard Amtrak LD trains. In May we are going on our first LD train ride, and our first Amtrak ride since the early 90's. Watching some YouTube videos so that I'll know what we should expect, I have noticed that some folks carry a scanner along with them to hear the chatter between the conductor and engineer, and the host railroad dispatcher. It seems pretty interesting. By chance, I was given what appears to be a really nice scanner. It is a Radio Shack PRO-162. It says that it is triple-trunking and has 1,000 channels. All of that sounds pretty impressive to this novice. All I do is plug it in and let it scan. It picks up the local fire and police channels, and I even heard some Air Force comm's once. I also get the occasional FMRS chatter between vehicles as they pass by.

So, do any of you folks out there with scanner knowledge know if this one will do the trick? It seems that it should, but I am not certain. We will have a roomette, and I have headphones too. I have loaded it up with NiMH batteries, and I have an AC wall wart to connect it to. It will charge those batteries when connected. The most important accessory (the users manual) is right on the shelf next to it - practically untouched. So, if I need to program in certain channels, I should be able to. Using the manual I have been able to stop it from scanning the police data frequencies. Those lengthy transmissions of electronic flatulence can be quite annoying at times.

I am still not sure if I'll bring my old TomTom GPS along. I guess that it would be kinda cool to now how fast we are going at any one time.

Here is a link to scanner and frequency information from OTOL.

I've used a scanner on most of our rail journeys. The trunking scanner you have is overkill since all you'll need are the 96 ARR frequencies which are not in digital format. I use a RS portable scanner (PRO-92?) with an earbud. You certainly want to use an earbud or headphones and not broadcast the conversations so others can hear them. There are lists of frequencies for each route and when they switch to different channels based on who owns the track. Some sections you will use two channels, one to hear the train personnel talk to the dispatcher and one to hear the dispatcher. It's gets easier once you play with it for awhile.

Dave

In addition to the scanner, I've found it very handy to carry a copy of the timetables similar to railroad employees timetables, which can be purchased online at http://www.altamontpress.com/store/

These provide information about track speed limits, names of control points, passing track entry points, etc. The one covering the routes of the SWC and SL don't seem to be for sale anymore on the website, but can often be obtained at railroad memorabilia events, and probably also on eBay.

I believe Altamont Press is pretty much defunct. The California Region Timetable listed on the link is #19, I've got #20 here which I've had for several years.

You might try Sonrisa Publications (http://www.djcooley.com/) ... nice railroad maps in timetable-sized booklets. I've got several and refer to them on my trips.

The frequencies listed above are those used by the controlling (freight) railroad in that section. There is no one frequency for (such as) the CZ between CHI and EMY. Around Omaha, it's what BNSF uses. Around GJT, it's what UP uses. Etc...

Take the few minutes necessary to assign each of the AAR Frequencies to the corresponding Channel number and store them in one of the memory banks. That way you just punch in the 2 digit Channel number when it comes time to change frequency; you will often hear the Conductor call out the change.

Wow!

Thanks for all of the great information. I know there are large groups of scanner fans out there, and they tend to get into it by way of another hobby or interest.

So, it appears that the scanner I was given should be able to receive the channels that I could expect to hear railroad related comms on. It was also recommended that I go through and store the AAR channels (frequencies). I'll have to go through the manual and learn how I guess. It does have a pretty straightforward section on programming the features in the quick-start guide.

In the event that I don't get the channels programmed into it, won't I still be able to hear the comms by leaving it in scanning mode? I also see that my scanner has 10 banks. It looks like the easiest route might be for me to lock it onto Bank 2 (137.0000 - 174.000 Mhz) for general comms and if I want to listen to the EOT device I can also add Bank 5 (400.0000 - 512.0000 Mhz).

I hope that they are better at comms on the train than the local Fire/Police dispatch in Bosque County TX. I must just be used to the clearer radios and different techniques we have to use at a power plant. I don't know how they don't screw up half of their directions since they never repeat back anything. We have to use three-way communication at work or face the wrath of an angry shift manager who is usually listening in on his radio too.

Well, I have about seven weeks to play around with it before we go. I'll dig this thread up if I have any problems or need more advice. I may even try to make it to the closest rail line to me (about 10 miles) and sit and listen for a spell. I should probably try to catch the 21/22 by timing it through the Amtrak Train Tracker web app before I head out. I just hope that when I get a chance it is working, unlike today where it seems to have been down pretty much all day. I guess that issue with number 2 yesterday must have the whole TE/SL car fleets in an uproar!

Just found this page. It will be saved as a PDF and loaded onto my tablet for the trip! OTOL is such a great resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only time you will hear an EOT (Smart Fred) is when you pass a Freight that is carrying one. Passenger trains do not carry them. And from what I understand you will only hear a digital "squeal."

If you have a rail line 10 miles away, you should be able pick up the comms on passing trains from your house. We have a rail yard about 60 miles away as the crow flies and I can hear them on my scanner just fine. Just find the owner of the track near you and scan those frequencies. If you're lucky you'll be near a hot spot detector that counts the axles, measures the length of the train, checks for overheated wheels and broadcasts that information every time a train passes by. Some will announce the track speed and ambient temperature as well. You'll hear lots of those on your trip.

Dave

Well, I may have to check actual distance, but I think that the tracks come into Meridian (next town over) and as the crow flies might be a little further than 10 miles. I have never heard any railroad comms before. I leave my scanner on "scan" and it drives though all ten banks of frequencies. According the the OTOL site, the stretch of track nearest me is BNSF and uses channel 30 (160.560 MHz). I am between Birds Siding and Opal. I wonder if having a metal roof on our place has anything to do with not receiving more transmissions?

Now, about the GPS. I have an older TomTom VIA 1500. Would it be of any use to me? I can mount it to the window, but I'm not sure if I'd get a signal since the glass is vertical. I have used on planes before and managed to get a signal for a while. It was a hoot to see us hurtling along at 500 mph while passing through lakes and through structures on the map!

ETA - Google Maps shows me to be about 7.65 miles from the closest track - to my Southeast.

Take the few minutes necessary to assign each of the AAR Frequencies to the corresponding Channel number and store them in one of the memory banks. That way you just punch in the 2 digit Channel number when it comes time to change frequency; you will often hear the Conductor call out the change.
Yes, a time saver indeed. On my BCD396XT they are called channel number tags and allow you to go directly to a channel with just a couple of keystrokes.

Well, I may have to check actual distance, but I think that the tracks come into Meridian (next town over) and as the crow flies might be a little further than 10 miles. I have never heard any railroad comms before. I leave my scanner on "scan" and it drives though all ten banks of frequencies. According the the OTOL site, the stretch of track nearest me is BNSF and uses channel 30 (160.560 MHz). I am between Birds Siding and Opal. I wonder if having a metal roof on our place has anything to do with not receiving more transmissions?

Now, about the GPS. I have an older TomTom VIA 1500. Would it be of any use to me? I can mount it to the window, but I'm not sure if I'd get a signal since the glass is vertical. I have used on planes before and managed to get a signal for a while. It was a hoot to see us hurtling along at 500 mph while passing through lakes and through structures on the map!

ETA - Google Maps shows me to be about 7.65 miles from the closest track - to my Southeast.
DryCreek...sounds like you are north of Temple, TX. From recent trips to Temple from LA, I know Opal Junction is just south of Temple.

if you are using an indoor antenna and indeed have metal roof, that will be a limiting factor. Getting almost any antenna outside and up in the air will help immensely. I use an old VHF-High 1/4 wave ground plane (from Radio Shack). You don't need a big (and expensive) antenna unless you are really serious about monitoring. With my set up in the West San Fernando Valley area (Los Angeles) I can hear trains 20 or more miles away and of course, the dispatcher. I routinely monitor the Metrolink Ventura Sub which, besides Metrolink, carries the Pacific Surfliner, Coast Starlight and UP traffic.

GPS, Not familiar with your TomTom. Yes, put it against the window. You might want to set it for "off road" if that is possible. I use a Garmin GPSmap 64s with an external antenna hanging in the window from a suction cup hook. I load topo maps for the areas I traveling and create routes which are simply point-to-point (station-to-station) so I can see the direction, distance and ETA to each next station along my trip.

Not sure about the metal roof. It will either magnify the signals, kill them altogether or make no difference..:) Just leave your scanner on channel 30 and wait. Unless there is constant rail traffic you may not hear much.

I've used my Garmin Legend eTrex cx GPS on a few trips. Like you found they don't always work, but it's always worth a try. I'll bring it again on our upcoming trip.

Dave

I guess that I should mention that the scanner given to me only has a "rubber ducky". That is probably a very limiting factor!

Last year I bought a Bearcat Scanner and had little luck with it (i will sell it really cheap to anyone interested - send me a message)

What I did find very enjoyable was the Scanner Radio app for my android. I had a Verizon signal all the way to Minot and loved hearing the banter and finding out why we were sitting on a siding.

I took my Garmin with me, but because it doesn't have the route embedded (nor does putting in the endpoints do any good) it spend the entire time jumping from one township road to the other,,, I have contacted Garmin about adding Amtrak Routes or even rail as a feature and they have told me tough tookies.

If it simply speed you want the DigiHUD android app is wonderful.

Last year I bought a Bearcat Scanner and had little luck with it (i will sell it really cheap to anyone interested - send me a message)

What I did find very enjoyable was the Scanner Radio app for my android. I had a Verizon signal all the way to Minot and loved hearing the banter and finding out why we were sitting on a siding.

I took my Garmin with me, but because it doesn't have the route embedded (nor does putting in the endpoints do any good) it spend the entire time jumping from one township road to the other,,, I have contacted Garmin about adding Amtrak Routes or even rail as a feature and they have told me tough tookies.

If it simply speed you want the DigiHUD android app is wonderful.
Your GPS was "jumping from one township road to another" because you had it in automotive or driving mode...it was trying to keep you on roads to get you to the destination. No one has railroads "routable" on their maps...generally highways and trails. I use "direct routing" (point-to-point) and each point is an Amtrak station. I create this point-to-point route with Garmin's BaseCamp software. It won't follow actual (in this case railroad) route but, I can follow along on the screen and the "route" I created will tell me how far to the next station and the ETA "as the crow flies". Sufficient for this purpose. When the trip is complete, I can display the "tracklog" and see exactly where I traveled.

I did this last summer for my cruise to Alaska as well as the Coast Starlight to Seattle and back which is where the cruise started and returned.

And my scanner was on for both the train and the cruise!

I had a Garmin GPS on a trip a few years back. It did follow the railroad tracks (and displayed them on the screen), but if we were near a road (running parallel to the tracks) it "thought" we were on that road. (It was quite funny to see that we were "driving" at 79 mph on dirt road #52! :giggle: )

We're power walkers with our GPS - over 80 miles sometimes :) It's heck when we get back to our car and we can't figure out why it's taking forever to calculate our route! We use the pedestrian mode and zoom out or find towns to figure out where we are or how far to some place. We've really enjoyed it - even when walking around a new town since we don't have smart phones. The only downside was our Garmin is a spoiled Californian and couldn't find it's way around Chicago!

Well, we don't have smart phones either - so those web based scanner apps won't do me a whole bunch of good. We worked outside all day today and I had the scanner on - just to get a heads up if someone called in the brush piles we were burning (we did call the dispatch to inform them of the burns). I did get much better reception outside, but no train comms. I did hear something new that was bursts of noise, and it was Brown Something label on the scanner.

ETA - the Brown Whatever was in the 400 MHz range.

I am surprised they let you use that aboard airplanes....IIRC, a GPS, like any radio receiver, is not allowed to be used, unless they weren't aware of it.... ;)

I think you are smart to learn to thoroughly master the operation of your new scanner, prior to taking your trip. I learned that the hard way....took a new scanner, before learning it, and was frustrated to miss a lot of transmission's in the time it took me to get to the right frequency....

As far as following along the railways...I simply use my phone, and use the Verizon Navigator...they even show the railways initials...works pretty good. :)

I've used ALK's CoPilot navigation app (in 'show map' mode) on a GPS-equipped Android tablet while riding the Crescent and Pennsylvanian, and while early on the program would desperately jump around to the nearest highway (despite the tracks being on the map), my last trip on the latter train last July displayed a different mode of behavior.

This time around, CoPilot followed the actual railroad tracks a good 80-90% of the time, even passing highway over/underpasses without skipping a beat . Only time it jumped to a roadway was when one was right next to the ROW. I may have photos later on in the day.

As for GPS on airplanes, I was on Air Canada less than two weeks ago, NYC-Toronto, and the specific instruction was "devices that transmit radio waves should be set to airplane mode". I had a camera and a 10" tablet out displaying GPS data (wifi and Bluetooth switched off) for most of the outbound trip and the flight attendants didn't so much as bat an eye. This might vary from airline to airline though.

---PCJ

GPS should be fine, then, as GPS on a phone or regular consumer device is receive only (the device gets numerous signals and does math to find where you're located, if I understand the technology correctly.)

Of course, airlines ban FM radio receivers, so receive-only is no guarantee of anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back