Scanner worthwhile? Latest on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings! A friend and I traveled the EB about a year ago and I am doing it again on Oct. 18, this time alone. I am considering buying a scanner from Radio Shack. (Pro-97 1000 Channel triple trunking) Is this a worthwhile pursuit? Good choice? Hints or tips?

My first Chicago to Seattle EB trip was great! Any changes of note on the EB during the past year?

I've also done the Zephyr and hope to do it again too. I'm hooked.

My sincere thanks for any information you wish to share.

Bob Jones

Fort Myers, Florida

Greetings! A friend and I traveled the EB about a year ago and I am doing it again on Oct. 18, this time alone. I am considering buying a scanner from Radio Shack. (Pro-97 1000 Channel triple trunking) Is this a worthwhile pursuit? Good choice? Hints or tips?
Bob,

I never travel without mine, which IIRC is a Pro-96. I think that it's quite nice to have one and to be able to know what's going on. As for hints and tips, start with this page over at OTOL and go from there. You can find general info on scanners, as well as links to all the frequencies used by Amtrak and organized by route.

Bob,

I never travel without mine, which IIRC is a Pro-96. I think that it's quite nice to have one and to be able to know what's going on. As for hints and tips, start with this page over at OTOL and go from there. You can find general info on scanners, as well as links to all the frequencies used by Amtrak and organized by route.

Bob,

Alan,

Thanks! That is great information. I appreciate your time. BTW, what is IIRC?

Best,

Bob

Bob,

Like Alan says; "Don't leave home without it" There is a site that gives you all of the frequencies as the crews have to work on different railroad/terminal frequencies. I was lucky and kept my old RR radio so all I have to do is punch in the 4 number channel.

Bob -

You won't need the trunking capabilities for listening in on railroad frequencies. For what it's worth, I have the RadioShack PRO-82 scanner with no trunking and it works perfectly for railfanning, both on board and track side. The PRO-82 is also considerably cheaper. But, if you will be using the scanner for listening to your local police / fire, then you may need the trunking capabilities.

Sorry if this is a vague question, but what would the price range typically be for a 'lower-end' scanner? Something to be able to listen in for the occasional railfanning?

Dan

My PRO-82, which is the least expensive model in RadioShack's lineup was $99.

I couldn't find 2015 on the website. 2018 is not battery powered, so if you end up in a coach without power outlets at your seat, you're out of luck unless you move to another car. This also means that this scanner would be useless outside, let's say...on the platform waiting for your train or if you're just out watching trains for a day. But, to answer your question, yes, the 2018 will work, as it covers the frequency band that railroads use. However, a handheld unit offers more portability in a smaller and more convenient package, all at the same price.

I couldn't find 2015 on the website. 2018 is not battery powered, so if you end up in a coach without power outlets at your seat, you're out of luck unless you move to another car. This also means that this scanner would be useless outside, let's say...on the platform waiting for your train or if you're just out watching trains for a day. But, to answer your question, yes, the 2018 will work, as it covers the frequency band that railroads use. However, a handheld unit offers more portability in a smaller and more convenient package, all at the same price.
Thanks Bob for the info. We've booked a bedroom, so we should have access to outlets, so we'll pack the 2018. I've printed off Amtrak frequencies, so hopefully we'll have something to listen to on the way down to Florida.

Thanks Bob for the info. We've booked a bedroom, so we should have access to outlets, so we'll pack the 2018. I've printed off Amtrak frequencies, so hopefully we'll have something to listen to on the way down to Florida.
Don't do what some folks in a bedroom next to ours did on a trip on the CZ a couple of years ago. They played theirs over the speaker and not with headphones and it was very annoying as it carried right into our room. The room attendant couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it and it detracted from our trip, greatly. Those bedroom walls are very non-soundproof!

Don't do what some folks in a bedroom next to ours did on a trip on the CZ a couple of years ago. They played theirs over the speaker and not with headphones and it was very annoying as it carried right into our room. The room attendant couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it and it detracted from our trip, greatly. Those bedroom walls are very non-soundproof!
We will adhere to your advice and pick up headphones. Thanks for the tip! :)

Or at least be sure to keep the volume on the lower side if you don't have the headphones on. This is especially true when in a bedroom, as there is a sliding door that allows Amtrak to create a bedroom suite by opening said door and in effect combining two bedrooms into one. It is this sliding door that isn't as soundproof as the rest of the walls in the room.

When one is in a roomette, the volume is a little less of a problem.

Or at least be sure to keep the volume on the lower side if you don't have the headphones on. This is especially true when in a bedroom, as there is a sliding door that allows Amtrak to create a bedroom suite by opening said door and in effect combining two bedrooms into one. It is this sliding door that isn't as soundproof as the rest of the walls in the room.

When one is in a roomette, the volume is a little less of a problem.
We traveled in May,for six days and five nights, I bought a couple pair of those cheap ear pods (an extra pair in case one quits). Then when we were in our room I put one in just one ear, then I could carry a conversation and still listen to radio traffic. I found the headphones too uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back