Scanner?

• Thread starter Guest_tradertif
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_tradertif

ok, so my dad is a train buff, and he would really love to listen on a scanner. Where can I get info about these? Which ones are good? How much are they? Is it worth bringing? Is there anything to listen to?

We're taking a trip next month from NY to New Orleans, is there anything to hear on that route?

TIf =:cool:

TIF,

I'm sure that others will chime in, each with there favorite scanner, personally I love my Radio Shack Pro94. There are many fine choices out there, although I think that if price is a big issue, you may do best with a Radio Shack model. Just head to their website and you can even shop on-line if you like.

One tip I do recomend is, if at all possible buy a scanner than has removeable batteries. Some of the low-end scanners have a built in rechargeable battery. This is nice for short trips, but on a long trip if you are in coach, you may have trouble finding a place to plug in and recharge.

My scanner takes 4 AA batteries. I can use regular AA's or I can use rechargeable AA's and the scanner will even recharge them for me. But if I'm not near a plug, I can still change my batteries.

You will indeed hear the crew talking, you'll hear them calling signals, confirming that the station work is down and other things.

Finally you might wish to check out this page from OTOL. It's kind of a primer on scanner use. Additionally links are available to other pages that will provide you with the frequencies that you will need for each Amtrak route.

Have fun! :)

Myself a scanner is a must on every train trip, my wife want's to throw it out the window though :eek:

The one I take with me on trips is a very basic Uniden portable scanner that is about the same size of a cordless phone. I purchased it about 8 years ago at Service Merchandise (now out of business) for about $90. It's a 10 channel model, meaning I can only program 10 frequencies in it, which is plenty good enough for train listening. It can also run on 4 AA batterys or normal 110 volt current.

A good store to check out would be Radio Shack. I am sure that you could find a very basic & good quality scanner in about the $100 range.

It does help to know the basic language of railroading. The first time listener may have trouble figureing out what the meaning is of certain things. Example (engineer talking) " Amtrak #30...East #2.. Approach, turkey foot.. 30 out". The meaning of this just to use an example would be this..

Amtrak #30 .... The train your probably on.... the Capitol Limited.

East #2............... Your traveling Eastbound on track #2

Approach......... The track side signal is showing an "approach" indication.

Turkey Foot..... The interlocking or block name that the signal is protecting.

And no I didn't make this name up...It's a real interlocking

on the Capitol Limited route.

30 out.............. End of transmission

Getting to know what the meaning of different signals are, and other railroad lingo, you will be just as informed about the train as the engineer and conductor. People often look at me weird on a train because I will turn to my wife and say, were slowing down or were stoping seconds before the train will actually take action to slowing speed. I always wear a headphone, this is a must when sitting in coach, but not sleepers. So make sure your radio has a jack to plug headphones into.

I used (and still use to a lesser degree) my Uniden Bearcat Scanner. They used to carry them at Best Buy, I think they stopped stocking it though. I have a 30 Channel which gets me over the road for a pretty good distance (since most frequencies are used for a few hundred miles, and often used on multiple subdivisions within the same company). My primary radio now is a 4 Channel Motorola HT750. While it doesn't have many channels it's a much more powerful (and expensive) radio. The frequencies are set, and in order to change them must be taken to a radio shop to have them changed. Since I primarily stay in one area with my radio the 4 channels pretty much cover my needs. Eventually (when I don't have to save my money for a car) I will buy a 128 channel HT1250, identical to the one many employees use.

I have a 150 Channel Radio Shack Scanner, and it's worked pretty well for me so far. I use rechargable batteries that generally last me a few hours.

Right now I have a RadioShack Pro-79 scanner. It's done me well for the past two years, but the transmission pick up is not that great and I tend to get a lot of break up. I would someday like to buy a radio like Sean's since it has more power and it will be good to have when I first get hired on with the railroads.

Amfleet said:
Right now I have a RadioShack Pro-79 scanner. It's done me well for the past two years, but the transmission pick up is not that great and I tend to get a lot of break up. I would someday like to buy a radio like Sean's since it has more power and it will be good to have when I first get hired on with the railroads.
I'd have to agree on the attitude's of you guys, while the scanner is suitable for now, I'd also like to eventually get a radio, if not a career with one of the railroads as well.

As I'm sitting in JFK Airport listening to my PRO-95 (1000 channel trunker) I realize why I love it as I'm getting the NYPD, FDNY, NCPD, Air Traffic and the LIRR all from my seat here in the terminal.

However, what type of scanner you would want is dependant on what you intend to do with it, I like the trunking radio because I listen to public saftey radio which out West is trunked and with the 1000 channels I can keep one 100 channel bank loaded with just AAR frequencies makes the trips easier. It also depends on what you want to spend too, I paid $100 for mine but I got it on sale check the Radio Shack sales and you can get a good deal. I would also agree with Alan about getting one that has removable batteries.

Amfleet said:
Well when you hire out as a Conductor you are issued a Company radio. The only minor problem with it is that they generally set your frequencies to only the ones in your district, so if you go out of District you have no radio. I plan on keeping my own radio for railfanning purposes off duty, and since I'd like to be in Engine service Engineers aren't issued a radio, since they have the cab radio.

I'd rather be working for trains than planes. But working on locomotives in Chicago is too much (commute time, cost of living, pay, hard to switch location, and layoffs). I guess I still a bit sore from BNSF screwing over us former Galesburg employees. :angry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back