Scanners, Radio and other such tech inquiries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look on Amazon. There are many inexpensive Asian knockoffs of transcievers, BAOFENG is one brand that comes to mind. I have one. If you are worried, just use tthe menu and disable the transmit function. Et Voila'! You now have a scanner!
However, the cheapest Baofeng transceiver scans 3 frequencies per second, whereas the BC125 scans all of the AAR frequencies (close to 200) in 1 second!

However, the cheapest Baofeng transceiver scans 3 frequencies per second, whereas the BC125 scans all of the AAR frequencies (close to 200) in 1 second!
Yes. My Yaesu VX 5 scanned a lot faster, but was wayy more expensive. I am a licensed Radio Operator (HAM - W5VD) and use my Yaesu to talk on 2Meter and other repeaters. I usually use the Baofeng or the Wouxon for railroad monitoring.
Also, no matter the speed of the channel scan, it can false, especially in populated areas. I don't want to hear taxis, concrete mixers and gypsy users, so I just keep the list handy and switch accordingly. It's really not that complicated.
AAR channels are in my radio labeled 11-197 (AAR Chans 1-97). So it's pretty easy to select any channel. If the Engineer says "Lets go 96". I enter 196 and I am on the channel. Sometimes they want to go off on a side channel for a quick "private" conversation. Real easy to jump to that.
Sometimes I will use the computer interface and set up a scan group for a particular route, but usually I just use the list. Since the radio has an A and a B channel, I'll put the next channel on the other side (B or A), so I can easily switch back and forth if I am not sure whether we have passed the border. It's also handy when there is a road channel and an AMTRAK or station channel, like St. Louis.
My hearing aids are Bluetooth equipped, so I put a Bluetooth adapter on the radio. Kinda neat.

Yes. My Yaesu VX 5 scanned a lot faster, but was wayy more expensive. I am a licensed Radio Operator (HAM - W5VD) and use my Yaesu to talk on 2Meter and other repeaters. I usually use the Baofeng or the Wouxon for railroad monitoring.
Also, no matter the speed of the channel scan, it can false, especially in populated areas. I don't want to hear taxis, concrete mixers and gypsy users, so I just keep the list handy and switch accordingly. It's really not that complicated.
AAR channels are in my radio labeled 11-197 (AAR Chans 1-97). So it's pretty easy to select any channel. If the Engineer says "Lets go 96". I enter 196 and I am on the channel. Sometimes they want to go off on a side channel for a quick "private" conversation. Real easy to jump to that.
Sometimes I will use the computer interface and set up a scan group for a particular route, but usually I just use the list. Since the radio has an A and a B channel, I'll put the next channel on the other side (B or A), so I can easily switch back and forth if I am not sure whether we have passed the border. It's also handy when there is a road channel and an AMTRAK or station channel, like St. Louis.
My hearing aids are Bluetooth equipped, so I put a Bluetooth adapter on the radio. Kinda neat.
Hey @drdumont , NW6A here!

Last edited:
I really appreciated ALL of the information shared here. I ended up not getting a scanner ... however, it would've been helpful several times.
- Train forced to stop as we were almost hit at a crossing. The engineers got out an inspected the train and then we moved on.
- 1.5 hr wait in Tucson to get into the station
- Numerous stops ... typically to allow a freighter to pass

This is what I ended up doing ... Phone Apps Used:
- Google Maps app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking exactly where you are
- Speedometer GPS app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking where you are and speed
- Amtrak web site on Chrome browser app (iPhone) ... good for tracking where you are at and expectation of time for future stops
- Locator app (iPhone) ... for railroad specific crossing and track information
I've found Speedometer very useful on my (now ancient) iPhone 6s, but it really drains the battery fast, so either close it when you aren't actively using it, or keep your phone plugged into its charger.

BTW, for a few bucks and about an ounce of extra weight, you can get a rechargeable battery (USB in and out) just about anywhere which will triple or quadruple your phone's (or other equipment's) battery life. The worst problem is getting tangled up by yet another cable.

(By "just about anywhere", in addition to the usual electronics stores, CVS carries them, and I bought one once in the gift shop at the La Brea Tar Pits, so literally "just about anywhere.")

I've found Speedometer very useful on my (now ancient) iPhone 6s, but it really drains the battery fast, so either close it when you aren't actively using it, or keep your phone plugged into its charger.

BTW, for a few bucks and about an ounce of extra weight, you can get a rechargeable battery (USB in and out) just about anywhere which will triple or quadruple your phone's (or other equipment's) battery life. The worst problem is getting tangled up by yet another cable.

(By "just about anywhere", in addition to the usual electronics stores, CVS carries them, and I bought one once in the gift shop at the La Brea Tar Pits, so literally "just about anywhere.")
"Speedometer ... drains the batter" ... I wouldn't know ... I kept it plugged into power all the time :)

I kept it open and on that screen the entire time sitting on the little seat back table in front of me. A couple of times people walked by and asked about it ... or, said, "I've got the same app, it's great!" :)

I liked it for displaying the speed and the current town that we were in. The direction was also nice, but with all the curves the direction doesn't really matter that much ... considering we are on tracks we already know the general direction. :) Not like they are a cab driver trying to take the long route.

Hey @drdumont , NW6A here!
FB, OM... I just saw a YouTube article on a Software Defined Radio USB dongle for $50 or so. Think I will get one and see how that works. All our Microwave gear at Univision was SDRs. Pain in the caboose to set up, but were flexible as all getout.

Back