Scanners, Radio and other such tech inquiries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can often pick up older scanners used, many of the ones used by nascar fans also work for AAR channels. I've got an old Uniden SC150 that I put a Diamond RH77CA and it works great, if I need new batteries they are still sold. I think with the scanner and antenna I was at 40-50$

My “old reliable” is a Uniden SC230 racing scanner which I picked up on eBay for a few bucks some years ago. It uses two AA batteries, although on our train trips I use it mostly with an AC power adapter. I have one bank of channels dedicated to the frequencies used by the trains we usually ride on: the Pacific Surfliner, the Southwest Chief, and the Capitol Limited. Another bank has all of the AAR frequencies just in case I need them.

I really appreciated ALL of the information shared here. I ended up not getting a scanner ... however, it would've been helpful several times.
- Train forced to stop as we were almost hit at a crossing. The engineers got out an inspected the train and then we moved on.
- 1.5 hr wait in Tucson to get into the station
- Numerous stops ... typically to allow a freighter to pass

This is what I ended up doing ... Phone Apps Used:
- Google Maps app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking exactly where you are
- Speedometer GPS app (iPhone) ... awesome for tracking where you are and speed
- Amtrak web site on Chrome browser app (iPhone) ... good for tracking where you are at and expectation of time for future stops
- Locator app (iPhone) ... for railroad specific crossing and track information

I really appreciated ALL of the information shared here. I ended up not getting a scanner ...
Let's hope that this is only a temporary decision on your part. A racing scanner like mine doesn't take up much space in your carry on bag, so packing one along, even if you don't use it all that much at first, won't be an major inconvenience. Think of it as an emergency backup item when traveling by train. Once you do start using your scanner, particularly on a long distance trip, you will discover how much you'd been missing, even with all of the other devices you have with you. There will be times when the scanner will be the only source of information as to what is happening onboard your train.

Let's hope that this is only a temporary decision on your part. A racing scanner like mine doesn't take up much space in your carry on bag, so packing one along, even if you don't use it all that much at first, won't be an major inconvenience. Think of it as an emergency backup item when traveling by train. Once you do start using your scanner, particularly on a long distance trip, you will discover how much you'd been missing, even with all of the other devices you have with you. There will be times when the scanner will be the only source of information as to what is happening onboard your train.
Agreed. A scanner will provide much more info (entertainment) than a "scanner" app.

I really appreciated ALL of the information shared here. I ended up not getting a scanner ... however, it would've been helpful several times.
- Train forced to stop as we were almost hit at a crossing. The engineers got out an inspected the train and then we moved on.

- Amtrak web site on Chrome browser app (iPhone) ... good for tracking where you are at and expectation of time for future stops
You can pick up Asian manufactured two way HTs for less than "scanners", less than $100. Scan AMAZON, EBAY, Ham Radio Outlet, even Best Buy at times. Google "OnTrack Online" for their page with frequency lists. My BAOFENG and my Yaesu HT's allow monitoring AMTRAK freqs as well as FM radio stations, Weather channels, and much more. If you get a Transcievery unit, just disable the transmitter (It's a setting in the menu) and have fun. I DO suggest an earpiece, though, it annoys other folks sometimes

I need some help.

I have been using various scanners over the years to listen to air traffic control. None of my previous scanners had fhe range to cover railroad frequencies. I never had trouble programming these scanners.

Recently, I bought a Uniden BC125AT scanner. I cannot seem to program the thing! The directions in the manual are very confusing. All of the recommended videos are out of date. The recommendation to use a computer to program the scanner is very out of date and/or unavailable.

Can someone direct me to appropriate instructions?

And for those of us who haven't drunk the Apple Flav-R-Aid :p, those apps are also available on Android devices in the Play Store. However, comma, a scanner/receiver does not reply on cell service, which can be spotty. (hear that, AT&T). Download and print a timetable ( www.railpassengers.org/resources/amtrak-timetables/#Amtrak , a system map (https://www.amtrakvacations.com/sites/amtrak/files/2021-01/Amtrak-System-Map_US_0.pdf ) and a frequency list ( On Track On Line - Amtrak Radio Frequencies ). Get a cheap radio, play with it at home, and enjoy. You can even listen to some aircraft communications, depending on your location.
And don't fall for the FUDI out there. It is perfectly legal to listen to any radio transmission. There are some archaic regulations about divulging information to third parties, but anything broadcast in the clear is fair game.
And if you haven't discovered Virtual RailFan's pages and YouTube channels, start pounding your keyboard.
Despite Flex meals, dirty windows, sloppy housekeeping and the occasionally surly attendant, you can have fun on an AMTRAK trip, in spite of AMTRAK mismanagement!

And for those of us who haven't drunk the APPLE Flav-R-Aid :p, those apps are also available on Android devices in the Play Store. However, comma, a scanner/receiver does not reply on cell service, which can be spotty. (HEAR THAT, AT&T). Download and print a timetable ( www.railpassengers.org/resources/amtrak-timetables/#Amtrak , a system map (https://www.amtrakvacations.com/sites/amtrak/files/2021-01/Amtrak-System-Map_US_0.pdf ) and a frequency list ( On Track On Line - Amtrak Radio Frequencies ). Get a cheap radio, play with it at home, and enjoy. You can even listen to some aircraft communications, depending on your location.
And don't fall for the FUDI out there. It is PERFECTLY LEGAL to listen to any radio transmission. There are some archaic regulations about divulging information to third parties, but anything broadcast in the clear is fair game.
And if you haven't discovered Virtual RailFan's pages and YouTube channels, start pounding your keyboard.
Despite FLEX meals, dirty windows, sloppy housekeeping and the occasionally surly attendant, you CAN have fun on an AMTRAK trip, in spite of AMTRAK mismanagement!
Oh come on ... what's not to like about crazy? :) "I'm not crazy, I'm colorful!"

Despite flex meals, dirty windows, sloppy housekeeping and the occasionally surly attendant, you can have fun on an AMTRAK trip, in spite of AMTRAK mismanagement!
Agreed! Amtrak long-distance trains such as the Southwest Chief are a national treasure and riding on one of them is always a special experience to be savored.

Last edited:
I need some help.

I have been using various scanners over the years to listen to air traffic control. None of my previous scanners had fhe range to cover railroad frequencies. I never had trouble programming these scanners.

Recently, I bought a Uniden BC125AT scanner. I cannot seem to program the thing! The directions in the manual are very confusing. All of the recommended videos are out of date. The recommendation to use a computer to program the scanner is very out of date and/or unavailable.

Can someone direct me to appropriate instructions?
If you have a Windows computer, I use Scan125, a freeware program written and maintained by a bloke in the UK. It takes a little effort to master, but IIRC there is a user guide available for download There's a companion program that allows you to enter frequencies in Excel and load them into the scanner.

https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/
ETA: I have Scan125 input files to load all of the primary AAR frequencies into Banks 3-6 of the BC125. It takes the scanner about a second to scan them all, so I stopped bothering with defining specific frequencies. If you want to use them, PM me and I will send you a link to download them.

Last edited:
... Get a cheap radio, play with it at home, and enjoy. You can even listen to some aircraft communications, depending on your location.
I have always been trained and experienced that Amtrak/Railroad bands are using FM, and Aircraft bands are using AM meaning even if you can tune the frequency if the scanner is FM it won't really understand AM transmissions, and vice versa. Are there simple/cheap scanners that can do both AM and FM? Are there any likely non-cheap hand held radios that do both?

Edit AM is used in aviation so it is easier to know when we stomp on each other's transmissions.

Last edited:
American and Canadian railroads use VHF radio frequencies for their radio communications. You can not pick up these frequencies on an AM/FM radio.
Yes, I am using the term AM above for Amplitude Modulation and FM for Frequency Modulation in the context of the modulation of the audio signal in the wave, not the consumer understanding of an AM/FM radio. There is awareness that a normal consumer AM/FM radio cannot tune RR or aviation frequencies.

What I am curious about is are there VHF scanners (or handheld radios) that can understand both FM modulation (RR) and AM modulation (Aviation) in one?

I have always been trained and experienced that Amtrak/Railroad bands are using FM, and Aircraft bands are using AM meaning even if you can tune the frequency if the scanner is FM it won't really understand AM transmissions, and vice versa. Are there simple/cheap scanners that can do both AM and FM? Are there any likely non-cheap hand held radios that do both?

Edit AM is used in aviation so it is easier to know when we stomp on each other's transmissions.
Most scanners will automatically set the mode of modulation (AM, FM, etc.) based on the frequency programmed. Any modulation may be used on any frequency if desired (and allowed). The inexpensive Uniden BC-125AT will receive both AM and FM. AM is automatically set when listening to aircraft frequency; FM (actually FM narrow or NFM) is set for railroad and most other frequencies.

Use of AM for aircraft is partly a safety issue due to a phenomenom of FM called "capture". With FM, if two stations are transmitting at the same time, only the strongest one will be heard. With AM, both stations may be heard (although with interference) which is important if the weaker station is in an emergency situation.

"With aircraft this is important as for example if some aircraft accidentally leaves a blank transmission open, another aircraft can still transmit on top of the blank transmission and still be heard. Or allowing air traffic control to hear if multiple aircraft are trying to transmit at once, and handle communications appropriately based on urgency."
Pretty technical explanation; try to not get distracted by his sophisticated SDR (software defined radio) set up.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/demonstrating-the-fm-capture-effect-why-aircraft-use-am/

Last edited:
Yes, I am using the term AM above for Amplitude Modulation and FM for Frequency Modulation in the context of the modulation of the audio signal in the wave, not the consumer understanding of an AM/FM radio. There is awareness that a normal consumer AM/FM radio cannot tune RR or aviation frequencies.

What I am curious about is are there VHF scanners (or handheld radios) that can understand both FM modulation (RR) and AM modulation (Aviation) in one?
Most scanners, including inexpensive scanners will receive both AM and FM modulation - it is set based on the frequency programmed.
Look at the frequency coverage (and modulation) for the BC-125AT here:
https://uniden.com/products/bc125at

Last edited:
Most scanners, including inexpensive scanners will receive both AM and FM modulation - it is set based on the frequency programmed.
Look at the frequency coverage (and modulation) for the BC-125AT here:
https://uniden.com/products/bc125at
Excellent! When I was looking around for an additional aviation handheld several years ago that could also do non-aviation VHF, I wasn't finding much. I suppose the need to transmit too was the holdup in trying to find one handheld to do it all.

Excellent! When I was looking around for an additional aviation handheld several years ago that could also do non-aviation VHF, I wasn't finding much. I suppose the need to transmit too was the holdup in trying to find one handheld to do it all.
Being able to transmit is a whole different ball of wax, expecially regulatory.

AM radio for aircraft? NO, NO, NO!!! Not since mid 1970s in North America. Russia, China, Africa ,Maybe? FM 108.0 - 111.95 Mz navigation (ILS, VOR). FM 112.0 - 135.95 various FAA. flight service, emergency, aircraft company usages. Forgot military UHF band somewhere around 240 Mz including 243 emergency however about 406 Mz also emergency frequency monitored by satellite/

AM after WW - 2 196 Kz to maybe 300 kZ navigation consol, consolan, low frequency ranges, ADF beacons. Loran & Omega fits in somewhere but DNR. Above 300? Kz Broadcast for Aircraft directional finders. above 300 kZ to about 550 air - air and air to ground communications. Do not take these AM frequencies as gospel may be subject to change. Note all these Am frequencies are subject to both ground waves and sky waves especially at night or some northern / southern lights. Yes I once heard Australia.

Last edited:
You can pick up Asian manufactured two way HTs for less than "scanners", less than $100. Scan AMAZON, EBAY, Ham Radio Outlet, even Best Buy at times. Google "OnTrack Online" for their page with frequency lists. My BAOFENG and my Yaesu HT's allow monitoring AMTRAK freqs as well as FM radio stations, Weather channels, and much more. If you get a Transcievery unit, just disable the transmitter (It's a setting in the menu) and have fun. I DO suggest an earpiece, though, it annoys other folks sometimes
I am surprised that regulators (FCC?), allow the sale of ham transceivers that have the capability of transmitting (illegally) on non-ham bands, and must be user adjusted to prevent that.

Think of how easy this would make it for terrorists or other evildoers to make disruptive transmissions.
At least they should be required to sell only to properly licensed individuals…JMHO

I am surprised that regulators (FCC?), allow the sale of ham transceivers that have the capability of transmitting (illegally) on non-ham bands, and must be user adjusted to prevent that.

Think of how easy this would make it for terrorists or other evildoers to make disruptive transmissions.
At least they should be required to sell only to properly licensed individuals…JMHO
The sale of transceivers is legal. It is up to the user to comply with the regulations. Pretty much like anyting that can be a weapon, from guns to automobiles.

Most intelligent radios know when to switch from AM to FM depending on the band selected. All my scanners and transcievers do. Some of my Yaesus allow selection of RX mode.

Look on Amazon. There are many inexpensive Asian knockoffs of transcievers, BAOFENG is one brand that comes to mind. I have one. If you are worried, just use tthe menu and disable the transmit function. Et Voila'! You now have a scanner!

Yes.

Back