Scanners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole737

Train Attendant
I'm a train buff. I've been on lots. But one thing I've never really been interested in was getting scanner. But now that I'm doing my first cross country trip coming up, I was wondering what the benefits are of having one to listen to and how much a good quality one (the cheaper the better though) would cost. Thanks :)

I am a real scanner addict on Amtrak trips. You hear various things, the communication with the dispatcher, conversation between the engineer and the conductors, clearance from MOW crews, detectors, highballs from passing trains, etc.

You don't need a great scanner, you are close to the transmission sources on the train. I like having a scanner with enough channels so I can put in all 96 AAR channels and assign the frequency the same channel on the scanner as the AAR channel number. That way when the crew says "Going to 36" I can just punch in 36.

Last edited by a moderator:
Semi on/off topic. I know there used to be guides you can purchase, but does anyone know a website that can be searchable to find different frequencies across the country? All emergency channels, rail, aircraft, etc.

Bruce-SSR

Thanks for both for the responses. I added both to my favorites on my laptop.

Let me make the usual disclaimers, I have nothing to do with the products or companies I am about to mention.

I was at my local mall in the Poconos, Stroud Mall, stopped into Radio Shack. There I noticed they had the Uniden BCT75XLT on sale for $89.95, $10 off the usual price. This was the same price as Amazon had for the same thing. As you get to know me, I like to deal with brick and mortar stores for my electronics, if possible. This was the only Radio Shack that I noticed stocked the product. Concerning the price, Radio Shack currently has this promotion, For every $30 you spend, you get a coupon for $10 off your next purchase. There is no minimum to spend. But it doesn't pay to spend less then $10 and lost partial value. I wasn't advised to do this, but if I spent another 5 cents, probably could have gotten a third $10 certificate, all I got was 2.

I don't know if it was part of his pressure to make the sale or not, but the salesman said it was coming off of sale today.

I did see the Radio Shack branded scanner. I also saw a scanner programming cable for $30, which I was advised I would need for the Radio Shack scanner, but it was included in the Uniden.

Now I cant blame the salesman for this, because looking at the box, Radio Shacks and Unidens website, they didn't mention anything about batteries, not that I noticed. This can either take 2 AA alkalines, or 2 AA size NiMH type batteries. If you go for the rechargeable NiMH batteries, there is a USB charger cable that will recharge the batteries once installed in the scanner. The salesman and the websites made it sound like it only took unique type rechargeable batteries. I thought I remember reading somewhere it took AA batteries, but couldn't find it anywhere. When making a purchased, looking at my smartphone, I am not at my best of doing research :) I prefer standard batteries.

I haven't tried the computer interface yet. Being in the Poconos, I don't think there is much radio traffic to find to listen to.

Bruce

Well... this sucks. It appears the software you need to program the scanner through your laptop, is no longer available through their website. I guess I need to call them on Monday. Unless someone went through the same issue already and have a fix??

Bruce-SSR

It also appears the software is limited unless you pay for a license to give you full access to program all 300 channels.

Bruce-SSR

While the model I have is not listed in their support download site, nor was the url they supplied in the manual, I did a search for it on their website, and found the 1) software, 2) and drivers, downloaded them ,set it up, and I was able to program one channel, just for testing.

Things seemed easier way back when to do these things ;)

I still think it is limited, but hopefully I wont have too much more problems.

Bruce-SSR

I just purchased a Uniden BC75XLT and discovered the same problem with the website. Since I must not have software to unzip the driver and operational downloads, I was not able to get the software to recognize my scanner after registering, etc. But I was able to learn how to program my scanner and programmed all the railroad channels and frequencies today. Once I got the hang of it, it was not difficult and I programmed 100 frequencies in couple of hours. Since I don't live near railroad tracks here in Nashville, TN, I only heard one incidence of communication on the railroad frequencies but I have received the weather band and some police communication while searching the eight service bands already programmed into the scanner. I about to embark on a 19 day rail journey on Pacific Surfliners, Sunset Limited, City of New Orleans, California Zephyr and Coast Starlight so I am looking forward to giving the scanner a workout. Yes, I'll be using ear phones and probably only use the scanner in my sleeping car rooms and "off the trains".

The usual disclaimers apply, I have nothing to do with the product and who is selling the product. I just ordered this for myself, it did have good reviews and is currently on sale.

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/dongleaudio.html?CAWELAID=1742112809&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530001600000014027&cadevice=t&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_42eBRDHqcG1psmtneEBEiQAWPL8WAztpMaV1hEm5orr4Mzb4gkxnoYQtItOtPRrw88GFugaAm8z8P8HAQ

I enjoy using Bluetooth headsets for the freedom of wires between the headset and the device. And lots of people strongly suggest to use privacy headphones when listening to scanners.

Bruce-SSR

The usual disclaimers apply, I have nothing to do with the product and who is selling the product. I just ordered this for myself, it did have good reviews and is currently on sale.

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/dongleaudio.html?CAWELAID=1742112809&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530001600000014027&cadevice=t&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_42eBRDHqcG1psmtneEBEiQAWPL8WAztpMaV1hEm5orr4Mzb4gkxnoYQtItOtPRrw88GFugaAm8z8P8HAQ

I enjoy using Bluetooth headsets for the freedom of wires between the headset and the device. And lots of people strongly suggest to use privacy headphones when listening to scanners.

Bruce-SSR
Try ALL people suggest using the head/ear phones...it's downright rude not to....

It's too late now, but if you buy a scanner from Radio Shack (which I did also), if you go thru AGR Points for Shopping you can order from Radio Shack - and earn AGR points ! They offer free shipping to your store, and they occasionally offer free shipping directly to your home!

i had similar software issues with my Unidine BC75XLT, i just programmed it,,,, fairly straightforward once you get the metaphors

I looked at the On track, on line Amtrak frequency chart for the Northeast Corridor and Silver Star service. I didn't see any listing for NYP. Am I blind? ;) or do they share frequency with Sunnyside Yard? I am looking for the same frequency that the Acela Lounge attendant hears when they announce what track the trains are switched to.

Bruce-SSR

With 60 channels programmed so far (I do have duplicates in the Amtrak frequencies) I am also looking for a easy way to know what the channels are programmed. I am guessing a spreadsheet on my Smartphone. Any suggestions?

Bruce-SSR

With 60 channels programmed so far (I do have duplicates in the Amtrak frequencies) I am also looking for a easy way to know what the channels are programmed. I am guessing a spreadsheet on my Smartphone. Any suggestions?

Bruce-SSR
Just assign each channel the same Bank Number as its AAR Number. For example, AAR 30 is number 30 in your Bank.

Bruce-SSR
Just assign each channel the same Bank Number as its AAR Number. For example, AAR 30 is number 30 in your Bank.
Thanks, but I also use the scanner for police, fire, etc, not just Amtrak or other rail.

Bruce-SSR

Bruce-SSR
Thanks, but I also use the scanner for police, fire, etc, not just Amtrak or other rail.

Bruce-SSR
I have the same model as you. It can hold 300 frequencies. There are only 96 AAR channels. That should leave room for your other frequencies. if you assign #1-96 for the AAR channels.

What I was looking for was a alternate to what I am doing know, creating a spreadsheet of channel, name, and frequency. From the software, I copied and pasted into a spreadsheet the frequencies, and now looking up the names from where I got it. its tedious work, but only have to do it once.

Bruce-SSR

Remember that rail often transmits and receives on different channels, I assume to allow override cutouts.

Bruce-SSR

Bruce-SSR
I have the same model as you. It can hold 300 frequencies. There are only 96 AAR channels. That should leave room for your other frequencies. if you assign #1-96 for the AAR channels.
What I am thinking of doing is moving the AAr channels to the 200-300 range in numerical order. I still want to keep the primary channels starting at 1.

Still looking for the NYP frequency......

Bruce-SSR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back