Scenic Train Runs in Mojave Desert

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like fun, if you want my opinion...

56851852.jpg

As for Barstow, I have two distinct memories of that town. One was the Santa Fe switching yard that seemed to have all sorts of activity in the early morning hours as the Southwest Chief would pull in. The second was the absolute wost motel room I have ever had the displeasure of waking up to. I think a new tourist train would be nice but I don't know how much traction it would get with the traveling public, especially in this era of shrinking job markets with perpetually flat incomes. If I had put up that kind of money I'd be disappointed with Amtrak's delayed arrival. With the amount of cash Amtrak collects to move anything you'd expect them to be able to provide on-time service, at least from LA. Although to be fair the article doesn't go into much detail about what exactly happened.

If that's an actual photo of the train and not something the paper pulled out of archives, then those are some very interesting choices for power on that train.

I would love to take an excursion train trip like that! So much adventure! So much to see!
Think Alan is right, that looks like a file photo from back in the day! Bet the dome seats were at a premium since there was only 1 small one! ;)

If that's an actual photo of the train and not something the paper pulled out of archives, then those are some very interesting choices for power on that train.
I think that is an actual photo of the train. They had a pic in the paper of the train and the consist looks the same.

If you watch the video in the link you will see that the picture is a screen shot from the video. Yes, it's the real train.
Found out one of my friends took the trip! He posted a lot of photos to Facebook. Here is the link, but I don't know if his privacy settings are on - if they are, then unfortunately you won't be able to see them.

Kelso Flyer Photos

Even if that was a file photo, it couldn't be from too far back in the day, given the paint scheme of the lead engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back