Searching for Pat

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rogers55

Service Attendant
My wife and I took a trip on the SurfLiner from Van Nuys to San Diego and back.

Departed on Thu April 9.

Trip down was delayed about an hour due to a derailment just west of Fullerton.

A string of tank cars derailed on a siding adjacent to the main line and traffic was restricted to 10 mph in the area.

The car that derailed was on a bridge and went over the side dragging the other cars. The flipped like a string of dominos.

Fire department was cleaning up the toxic spill.

Back to the real reason for the post. I was on a mission to find and possibly photograph the famous Amtrak Special Agent Pat at the San Diego station.

I only found contract security personnel, who were very helpful by the way.

When I inquired about Pat the security person said she had not heard of him and the only Amtrak security guy she knew was Jose who was the taller half of a K9 team. She added that if he is around he must be in deep cover.

The trip back on Easter morning was uneventful. The conductor said he expected standing room only and was not boarding people in Oceanside that were trying to get to Anaheim for the ball game. In business class there seemed to be no crowding.

Bottom line, it was a nice trip but failed the primary mission.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I took a trip on the SurfLiner from Van Nuys to San Diego and back.Departed on Thu April 9.

Trip down was delayed about an hour due to a derailment just west of Fullerton.

A string of tank cars derailed on a siding adjacent to the main line and traffic was restricted to 10 mph in the area.

The car that derailed was on a bridge and went over the side dragging the other cars. The flipped like a string of dominos.

Fire department was cleaning up the toxic spill.

Back to the real reason for the post. I was on a mission to find and possibly photograph the famous Amtrak Special Agent Pat at the San Diego station.

I only found contract security personnel, who were very helpful by the way.

When I inquired about Pat the security person said she had not heard of him and the only Amtrak security guy she knew was Jose who was the taller half of a K9 team. She added that if he is around he must be in deep cover.

The trip back on Easter morning was uneventful. The conductor said he expected standing room only and was not boarding people in Oceanside that were trying to get to Anaheim for the ball game. In business class there seemed to be no crowding.

Bottom line, it was a nice trip but failed the primary mission.
Why in the world would you go looking for trouble? Even if you thought this would be funny, I am sure, if there is a Pat, he would not join in your humor. Best suggestion - enjoy the train ride and forget about trying to photograph security people.

Ditto.

Besides, once again, Pat is a real person this *may* qualify as stalking y'know?

Actually I didn't "go looking for trouble" and yes I do think this whole business is funny and maybe people in authority need to be joked about sometimes. My purpose in going to San Diego was to attend a convention, I wouldn't go to all that trouble just to poke fun at someone.

I am reasonably sure that he exists, based on the many other posts about him. I am NOT sure that he would not enjoy my humor, he is just as likely to have a fine self deprecating sense of humor and enjoy the situation.

I did enjoy the train trip, I always do.

It is not stalking by any definition, I just inquired if she knew another employee.

Can we please get over this guy.... Every month it seems we start a thread with his name it. Sure what happened to Patrick was stupid but its not like he used some huge abuse of power and beat down an AU member. I will tell you this he received an award for what he does by Amtrak so if this is your stance on him then you should stop riding Amtrak. I won't say where you find all this but I will say its all a matter of public record and was submitted to congress. Please can we just stop these threads about this guy. It was one picture and he didn't have him delete it or arrest him. I know Whoozon1st is a good writer so I am sure part of it was romanticized by his writing. I don't feel comfortable being a member of a forum that is going looking for people deep with in the Amtrak Police Department and Office with as big as a jurisdiction as the FBI. Amtrak Police can arrest anyone anywhere in the country so you people need to take this more seriously then you do. If you read the Reports to Congress from Amtrak's Inspector General from Last year you can understand why there are these special agents and what they do. They are not the same ones that have been around since the 1920s like the one used by the heritage RR. So I ask of other members can we just move on...

You know, every so often I Google myself to see what's being said about me. (Unlike the_traveler, I usually find either nothing or good things... :lol: )

So, I wonder if Special Agent Pat ever Googles himself, and if he does, if he has ever come across our little forum? :D

I just checked. Googling Pat doesn't come up with anything, but if he ever gets the bright idea to search for "Pat Amtrak," well, whaddya know...THIS thread comes up first! :blink: :eek:

You know, every so often I Google myself to see what's being said about me. (Unlike the_traveler, I usually find either nothing or good things... :lol: )
So, I wonder if Special Agent Pat ever Googles himself, and if he does, if he has ever come across our little forum? :D

I just checked. Googling Pat doesn't come up with anything, but if he ever gets the bright idea to search for "Pat Amtrak," well, whaddya know...THIS thread comes up first! :blink: :eek:
I got a Pat as a president of some police officer association and the AG of Rhode Island (I think). Strange that this name shows up related to law enforcement more than once.

This is a funny topic. I wonder about SA Pat. No matter how many commendations he's received, he has acted above the law.

Reminds me of Sledge Hammer.

I got a Pat as a president of some police officer association and the AG of Rhode Island (I think). Strange that this name shows up related to law enforcement more than once.
Correct another Pat Is a District Attonery in Rhode Island lots of hate for him to but he's an elected official not a highly trained counter terriorism law enforcement officer.

There is yet another Pat who blogs about Amtrak..

"Critics claim that Amtrak is bleeding billions, while Dick Cheneys friends steal more in a day than rail subsidies get in a year."

"Amtraks opponents are outraged at the taxpayer money spent to maintain a system they say should be self-sufficient, ignoring the fact that all modes of transportation make use of public subsidies, whether for roads or airports."

Seem like a nice guy to me. ;)

Last edited:
I am fine with dropping the whole matter but in my opinion you are overreacting.

People in Pat's line of work should have broad enough shoulders to take a little kidding or even some abuse.

In my case I don't believe I was abusive and would have no problem talking to him in person.

The OIG report was interesting, only 3 convictions in a year, nobody did any prison time but over $300,000 in loot recovered.

Maybe Pat's presence was enough to deter the lawbreakers.

Farewell Pat.

I am fine with dropping the whole matter but in my opinion you are overreacting.People in Pat's line of work should have broad enough shoulders to take a little kidding or even some abuse.

In my case I don't believe I was abusive and would have no problem talking to him in person.

The OIG report was interesting, only 3 convictions in a year, nobody did any prison time but over $300,000 in loot recovered.

Maybe Pat's presence was enough to deter the lawbreakers.

Farewell Pat
My thought when I read this thread title was I have been reading this forum way too much to know who they are talking about.

I thought what you said was funny. Sorry the sentiment was not shared by more.

Dan

Man, that's pretty messed up - not letting people board; especially since they had to pay a higher bucket fare for that day.

I went to San Diego on the morning of the 9th; our Amtrak took over for Metrolink and stopped at every stop - even 2 in San Clemente.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back