Seat spacing in coach, re covid pandemic?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always thought they should have free checked luggage but have to pay to use the overhead bins. Boarding and deplaning has gotten so ridiculous with the amount of crap people take on board.

Also dangerous. I’ve seen some pretty heavy bags get dropped on passengers in the aisle seat. Another reason I always book a window! (The view being #1)

Therein lies the problem. You can't not pay them. Everybody gets charged but it's not in the price when you book. That's the scam.

Exactly. You can fly without luggage. You can fly with 1 bag or book a fare that includes luggage. You can’t check in to a hotel and not pay the resort fee which is why it should be illegal.

Last edited:
I once arrived at a hotel where I had prepaid for the room. There was nothing about the resort fee in the reservation, although there was a general disclaimer about it on the booking company website in the small print, but not for any property in particular. Anyway, when I checked in, there was a small sign on the counter telling that all had to pay the additional $34. resort fee, which would be added to the bill. I pointed to the sign, and told the clerk that I had no use for the resort amenities, and therefore would not pay more for it. He said that everyone had to, whether they used them or not. I said, sorry, but I don't, and if they insisted I do, they could cancel my booking. (The reservation said that I could if it was prior to a certain time that day, which it was. The clerk called the manager, who came over, and after learning the situation, told me that it was their policy, but that he would make a special exemption for me for this time only, and they would 'pay my charge'...

The vast majority of airline passengers aren't taking day trips. Thus, they are carrying luggage of some sort. If the "low fare" doesn't include accommodation for luggage, then we're talking seriously misleading advertising. They could also make money by installing pay toilets. I'd like to see how well that works out.

Most of my family has perfected the art of packing everything into a backpack - which is included in the fare for every commercial airline in the US that I'm aware of. I've done it before for four-day trips - it's not ideal, but it's doable, and my sister has done it numerous times when coming home for a while (though there's likely extra clothes at home.) I've also done day trips before on ULCCs because their fare is low enough that it's practical to do so. Even for those who can't pack super-light, it's quite possible to share a checked bag between two people and thus only need one larger bag for two people.

In my opinion, so long as it's clearly stated what's included with the fare and what the cost is to check or carry on a bag is, I'm fine with airlines deciding to charge for both carry-ons and checked bags. Honestly, I wish more airlines would at least let you exchange your carry-on bag for a free checked bag - I'd be more than happy to check a bag at the counter (and not deal with the TSA carry-on restrictions) in exchange for only being allowed to carry-on a backpack. Easy enough to throw a spare set of clothing in there just in case my bag doesn't immediately make it.

Fine print can warn you about luggage fees but it won't tell you if a specific cabin can reasonably accommodate someone over X height or legs over Y length. Cloud sourced seat reviews are helpful but they are not precise enough to know which floor plans are scheduled for which routes or if an aircraft will be swapped or a floor plan has been modified. I flew several reasonably adequate 787 coach flights on United only to end up with crushed knees and numb legs on a later long haul flight. I was flying the same segments so what changed? Was it the seat design or floor plan? By the time you realize what you're in for it's too late to fix anything.

Southwest joined the reduced pitch coach wave and since you can't control your seat and row on Southwest I can't fly them anymore. Even if you book Business or First you can end up in coach if something goes wrong. I've seen amateur basketball players shoved into cramped coach rows in a manner that resembled a Standford Study. They looked miserable all day long. No matter how many times they read the print nothing would have told them their flight would be a torture test and there is no coach class mock-up in the airport for them to try first. That is why fine print is great for the courtroom but terrible for giving potential customers enough information to avoid a horrible experience.

Last edited:
For about a year or so, I enjoyed the great perk of having my old apartment in NYC, and my new home in Florida. I made several trips by air back and forth, and since I had everything I needed in both locations, I could board a plane with absolutely nothing except what I was wearing. A dream for both the airline and myself...:cool:

Therein lies the problem. You can't not pay them. Everybody gets charged but it's not in the price when you book. That's the scam.
The only loophole, and it's both tenuous and inconsistent, is negotiating your way out of a resort fee using status with a particular hotel chain. If, for example, you are entitled to some services included in the resort fee as a benefit of your status, you may be able to get it reduced or waived. It's hit or miss. It's no fun paying $35/night for internet, parking and gym access when those things are included with your Gold, Diamond, Platinum, whatever level.

In Vegas the resort fees can be higher than the price of the room. I ll usually stay at hotels by the airport that don't charge that ridiculous resort fee

In Vegas the resort fees can be higher than the price of the room. I ll usually stay at hotels by the airport that don't charge that ridiculous resort fee

True but the actual room rate is usually so low that I don’t mind the resort fee in Vegas.

$25 room + $40 resort fee is still $65 for a decent room right on the strip (Excalibur, Harrahs etc.)

You can usually book through the MGM or Caesars reward portal and get a dining credit as well.

Similar to cruise lines that advertise low fares, and then add on the 'port taxes and fees'....

Back