Seat Upgrade

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beth

Hi,

We are planning a trip from Syracuse NY to NYC in January. We will be traveling on Amtrak via Empire Service. My question is; is it worth it to purchase the upgraded business class seats? It is a 5 1/2 hour trip.

Thank you,

Beth

I certainly think so. More room, bigger seats, more leg room. Just more comfortable: period. If I have the chance, I will always upgrade to business.

Hi,
We are planning a trip from Syracuse NY to NYC in January. We will be traveling on Amtrak via Empire Service. My question is; is it worth it to purchase the upgraded business class seats? It is a 5 1/2 hour trip.

Thank you,

Beth
I would say yes also , for me its the extra room plus in busness at least in the midwest they will turn the

seats around and you face the way you are going! I really dont like sitting backwards for 4 0r 5 hours!!

in a coach class Horizon car!!

Trainfan

Business Class is a matter of value in my opinion. Business Class cars have more leg room, footrests, and are generally less crowded than their coach counterparts. Business Class on this train should also entitle you to complimentary soft drinks and coffee in the lounge car. Is it possible to do this trip in coach? Absolutely. Many people do it everyday. Will Business Class be more comfortable? Almost always, yes.

Wait, how many complimentary beverages do you get?

The amtrak route guide says, iirc, "complimentary non-alcoholic beverage". Since beverage isn't plural, I thought it was just one.

If there's no limit, or at least a higher one, I could make up the upgrade cost in food alone. 2 bucks for a soda?! Hopefully the diner car food doesn't follow that price trend; the route book looks like the on-train food is actually affordable.

Failing that, I'll be taking a page out of bill clinton's book and running to the nearest food stop when the train pulls into a station. (though not mcdonalds as I'm not a fan)

How exactly do you all deal with limited mobility on a 2 day trip? On a 30 minute ride I walked the length of the train twice.....

(Edit--due to restlessness, I was pacing, and I don't walk that slow, before anyone says it lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
The amtrak route guide says, iirc, "complimentary non-alcoholic beverage". Since beverage isn't plural, I thought it was just one.

If there's no limit, or at least a higher one, I could make up the upgrade cost in food alone. 2 bucks for a soda?!
You get one, warm, small 1/2 size can of soda at a time, though you can go back for seconds.

Coach gets a cold, full size can of soda to purchase. :D

How exactly do you all deal with limited mobility on a 2 day trip? On a 30 minute ride I walked the length of the train twice.....(Edit--due to restlessness, I was pacing, and I don't walk that slow, before anyone says it lol)
On a 2-day trip, there should be several longer station stops. Get out, and walk around on the platform too.

Though if you are so restless that you can't sit still for 30 minutes, I would re-evaluate taking a 2 day trip. :D

If there's no limit, or at least a higher one, I could make up the upgrade cost in food alone. 2 bucks for a soda?!
You get one, warm, small 1/2 size can of soda at a time, though you can go back for seconds.

Coach gets a cold, full size can of soda to purchase. :D
Last time I rode BC I had a better idea; I just purchased a cold full can.

On a 2 day trip I sit in the lounge car and watch the scenery, occasionally get off at the smoke stops just to take pictures, head to the diner for my free meals, relax in my room, get online with my laptop, and other wise just relax.

And you can find the actual dining car menus here.

I vote for Business Class. I find the BC is less crowded and is easier to get on and off the train. The people in BC are usually business people and more quiet. You also get a newspaper in addition to the 1/2 can of Pepsi!!

Hi,

Thank you,

Beth
Whenever we can upgrade coach to Business Class, Wifey insists on BC (and I always blame her :rolleyes: )

Hi,

Thank you,

Beth

Beth,

It's a good idea on the Empire Route. The Business class car on this route is half of the cafe car AND its at the back of the train, but the seats are at the very end (cafe in the center). SO...you get...

1. Leather seats that are bigger than coach w/footrests and calf supports that turn the seat into an almost bed

2. 2 and 1 seating, 2 seats on one side of the car, 1 on the other, so one could have some privacy if needed.

3. Since the car is last on the train AND the BC seats are at the back of the car, there is no traffic of people walking by to get to the cafe.

4. They will even give you priority when ordering from the cafe and its only a quick walk since its 20 feet away.

5. Free Newspapers and beverages

Its worth it for the ~20 price increase (thats what it is from Buffalo to NYC)...and usually train 280 (the first train of the day to NYC) is the most ontime.

Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back