Seattle hotel?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

njulian

Service Attendant
I'll be spending the night in Seattle after getting off the Coast Starlight, then getting on the train to Vancouver the next day.What would the closest decent hotel be to the Seattle King St Station?

what price range are you looking for how close do you Union Station do you need to be? There is a Best Western in Pioneer Square (near the Amtrak station-about 5 block away) or a hostel in Chinatown where you can book a single room that is close to union station, there are many hotels in downtown near the westlake light rail station which goes to the king st/chinatown light rail station like the moore hotel.

Input from a local guy...

There are no hotels near King Street station, just the aforementioned hostel.

If that's not your scene... I would recommend is the Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square, it's a nice hotel with reasonable rates ($150/night). It's about a half a mile from King Street station, so plan on taking a cab or LINK light rail (International District/Chinatown station is the closest to King Street station).

As mentioned above, the Best Western Plus Pioneer Square is another option but in my opinion it's not as nice as the Courtyard, it's usually more expensive and taking the light rail isn't really an option, so you'll have to take a cab if you have luggage in tow.

Ricky is correct about the Courtyard @_Pioneer Square, some of us stayed there during the AU Gathering in 2011 and it's a standard, nice Marriott Property if you want to spend in that range! Lots of us walked to/from King Street Station but the weather was nice that Oct. Lots of homeless and street people around Pioneer Square, there are several Missions in the area.

We stayed at the Courtyard Pioneer Square last July...not cheep but, nice. It is in the restored "Alaska Building". We took the Coast Starlight from LA (round trip AGR bedroom redemption) for an Alaska cruise. Stayed there the night before the cruise and then the night after we returned.

20140713_094424.jpg

20140713_092103.jpg

What about the Panama Hotel:

Www.panamahotel.net

I haven't stayed there, but did stop in their tea house for a pastry and some jazz. Interesting historic place.

Since it looks like you will be having a short night in SEA, I would strongly recommend one of the Hostels, I have stayed at City Hostel (private room common bath) and it ranks very high amongst all the various places I have stayed at.

You might consider the Silver Cloud Hotel at the corner of 1st Ave S and S Royal Brougham Way. It's immediately southwest of Century Link Field and just across the street from the left field foul pole of Safeco Field. It's a dead flat walk from King Street Station -- Google says it's 0.6 mile -- but the hotel web site says they offer a local shuttle service, so I suspect if you ask they would drive you from and to the station.

Shortly there will be a 300-room hotel constructed on the stadium parking lot immediately southwest of King Street Station. The current plan is it will be an Embassy Suites with a 13 Coins restaurant on the first floor. Once constructed it should put an end to questions about the hotel closest to the station, and where to eat before catching a train.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind spending a few bucks on a cab, the Mediterranean Inn just north of downtown was a great place for us to stay last year. Clean and with reasonable rates...we'd stay there again.

Just booked two nights at the Edgewater for my trip in May. Anyone stayed there before?
No, but I've been drooling over pictures for several months now. Did you get a room with a view of Puget Sound?

Just booked two nights at the Edgewater for my trip in May. Anyone stayed there before?
No, but I've been drooling over pictures for several months now. Did you get a room with a view of Puget Sound?
I also made reservations at the Westin today. Some members of the family were not too thrilled with the The Edgewater so I have both reserved and one will be tossed. Not 100% sure yet which one.

Westins are pretty nice hotels ( I haven't stayed in the Seattle one) but the view and location of the Edgewater can't be beat! What is it about the Edgewater that family members don't like? Both are high end places!!

First off... the Edgewater is at a stunning location and is a very nice hotel. The view is arguably the best in the city. I live about a mile south on the waterfront and my wife and I like the Six Seven Restaurant in the lobby of the Edgewater. If you eat there during high tide, the water is so close it feels like the whole hotel is floating on the water like a big boat.

But that stunning location also makes it a bit of a pain in the ass to see the main tourist destinations. If you aren't renting a car, prepare to walk 7 blocks to reach a bus stop (including some blocks with very steep grades) or take a taxi/Uber everywhere.

The Westin is also very nice (I'd say it has a less impressive view, but it's not a fair fight) and it's in the heart of the Westlake transportation hub. It's a one block walk to Link Light Rail (which connects to Sea-Tac Airport and King Street Station), the Monorail to the Seattle Center/Space Needle and the streetcar to South Lake Union. You're also within a 2 block walk to nearly every bus route in the city.

TL;DR: Stay at the Edgewater if you want an amazing view, stay at the Westin if you want to be close to everything.

Westins are pretty nice hotels ( I haven't stayed in the Seattle one) but the view and location of the Edgewater can't be beat! What is it about the Edgewater that family members don't like? Both are high end places!!
jimhudson! I'm surprised at you! Supporting big greedy corporate hotel chains?!? I thought you were a hostel/B&B/Sole Proprietor sorta guy. :)

jimhudson! I'm surprised at you! Supporting big greedy corporate hotel chains?!? I thought you were a hostel/B&B/Sole Proprietor sorta guy. :)
Now that I'm retired on a fixed income and have to pay for hotels myself, I find hostels and B&Bs very acceptable! Same reason that most of my Amtrak travel is in Coach versus Sleepers, I use points for Sleeper trips whenever possible!!
Back in the day when I traveled on my employer's dime, belonged to various frequent traveler clubs and had a much higher income, I stayed in higher end joints!

Nothing wrong with a little luxury when you can afford it! I'd much rather eat @ Ruth Chris than McDonalds, especially when it's not on my dime! LOL

While not in the King St Station vicinity, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Seattle-City Center overnight in May while transferring from the CS to the the SEA - VAC train the next morning. I know this was a good choice because the on board crew from the CS that I just got off from was all checking in ahead of me. It's an easy taxi ride from King St. station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back