Second Polar Vortex?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicago is and will be fine. I can't stress that enough.
To be fair didn't Amtrak recently shut down the entire Chicago operation a few weeks ago due to nothing more than bad weather?

Now that we know Amtrak is willing and able to just close up shop for days at a time I'm much less dismissive of such inquiries.

We're only supposed to get 1-3" over the next few days, and -10 is not new to us.
That is true as long as Chicago Maintenance Facility does not get the shivers and freeze up anyway. They have always been a world unto themselves. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair didn't Amtrak recently shut down the entire Chicago operation a few weeks ago due to nothing more than bad weather?
There's a different between "Historically bad weather" and "Normal winter crap", which is what this round is.

It amazes me that so many people think "the media" is responsible for its lameness - when in fact, the media is a direct reflection of what we, the people, demonstrate an insatiable appetite for. Ever hear of ratings? The weather channel, like all others, depends on advertising, the effects of which are measured through ratings.

"The media" is like it is because they are giving us exactly what we have demonstrated a taste for - including storm names.
That depends on your definition of "we". I (and many others) don't want that crap.

DA - Ryan nailed it. That weather was a huge exception to the norm. This current weather is just winter. :)

I'm still not clear on what exactly shut down the bulk of the national rail network. Was it the temperature or the snowfall or the wind that suddenly prevented all trains from running?

I'm still not clear on what exactly shut down the bulk of the national rail network. Was it the temperature or the snowfall or the wind that suddenly prevented all trains from running?
Sitting down there in South Texas you probably don't understand the effect of a blizzard followed by sub-zero temperatures. You probably should volunteer to work a shift or two outdoors in that kind of weather.

Sitting down there in South Texas you probably don't understand the effect of a blizzard followed by sub-zero temperatures. You probably should volunteer to work a shift or two outdoors in that kind of weather.
Ah forget it.

It doesn't seem like you can be reasoned with anyhow.

That depends on your definition of "we". I (and many others) don't want that crap.
I don't want it either. Nor do lots of reasonable folks I know. Nonetheless, we all know the business of media is a huge moneymaker (for corporate shareholders... and salaried executives, of course) and apparently the methods they use to attract the most possible readers/viewers/listeners are working fabulously. Best solution to annoying media? Shut it off.

It was a combination of all three. The snow fell very, very quickly, so it was almost impossible to stay ahead of it. It was a heavy, lake effect snow instead of a powdery snow, so that created more "packing", which is harder to remove/move than fluffy snow. It turns into these giant, nightmare blocks of snow/ice that are like glue.

Additionally, the wind created windchills between -40 and -60, so it was extremely unsafe for anyone to be outside for longer than a couple of minutes. At that temperature, any exposed skin can contract frostbite within just a few minutes.

In addition to all of that, even if they had called additional staff in, they probably couldn't make it. Police were telling everyone to stay off the roads unless it was an emergency. The CTA buses did the best they could, and I'm amazed the trains were simply delayed, not canceled. (I may be wrong; I checked the CTA site afterward, but not during. Maybe NorthShore or Steve know if the CTA ever shut down completely.)

Anyway, this was in Chicago proper. The smaller towns along the various routes in WI, IL, IN, and MI don't have those mass transit options, so anyone called into work from those towns would have been stuck. Our office was closed on Monday and reopened on Tuesday, but I had co-workers from smaller towns near Kalamazoo who couldn't even drive down their street until Wednesday.

I feel for any crews who worked on the tracks/trains in that weather, and I hope nobody got frostbite.

Anyway, this is what prompted some discussion of the need for a southern hub, as the conditions in Chicago had a trickle-down effect on the majority of Amtrak's rail network.

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and we call this winter. Do the people in the south call their summer the equatorial Vortex? Is someone getting rich off this new fraise?

Caribbean Vortex! :) I like that. We could use one of those right now. I would love for it to hit 80 degrees, even if it were just for a day.

Caribbean Vortex! :) I like that. We could use one of those right now. I would love for it to hit 80 degrees, even if it were just for a day.
Not quite Deep South here, but it was close to 60 degrees here yesterday afternoon--too warm for a coat. Headed for 5 degrees tonight. The weather's been extremely extreme this past year.

headed from NO to Newark,NJ on the 31st on the Crescent- do you all think it will be just regular winter by then.Borrowed a down jacket from friend of mine,think I'm gonna take it with me.

headed from NO to Newark,NJ on the 31st on the Crescent- do you all think it will be just regular winter by then.Borrowed a down jacket from friend of mine,think I'm gonna take it with me.
Long range forecasts are calling for colder than normal temperatures to persist through early February. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bitterly cold, but I would certainly take that jacket with you :)

I relish my youth when I pulled 12 hours shifts pumping gas in twenty below when you brought extra socks to work. Now I need the grandsons to run the snow blower down the drive. I am lucky to have the help , but I would not complain if I never saw another snow flake, but since that involves moving I will settle for a full propane tank to run the generator of the grid goes down.

yes, it is simply Winter and Cold.....the media hypes everything to get viewers and sell commercials....the naming of winter storms is also totally unofficial and made up by the media....

The only good thing I see with all this hype is that there must not be much "bad" news going on so they need to fill in the time with something.

The only good thing I see with all this hype is that there must not be much "bad" news going on so they need to fill in the time with something.
That sounds like low effort reasoning to me. If you ever feel like there's no interesting or important stories to discuss try reading the news from another country. Try picking up a non-fiction book. Try following an investigative journalist. Try watching a controversial documentary. Check out what happened "this day in history." The world is full of so many interesting and important stories that there's no way you could possibly consider them all in a single lifetime. And yet we casually claim whole days, weeks, and even months as "slow news" periods. Those who are willing to explore beyond their comfort zone will never be at a loss for news to discuss.

With the winter storm affecting travel along the east coast, Amtrak is cutting back service on the NEC for Wednesday. Service alert: Amtrak to Operate Modified Schedule on Wednesday, Jan. 22 on Northeast Corridor, Empire and Keystone Lines. Gist of the service alert:

January 21, 2014
3:45pm ET

With extreme weather conditions impacting the Northeast, Amtrak will operate a modified schedule on the Northeast Corridor between Washington and Boston, the Keystone Service (New York-Harrisburg, Pa.) and the Empire Line between New York City and Albany on Wednesday, Jan. 22, 2014.

Acela Express and Northeast Regional service will operate between Boston and Washington, though passengers should expect reduced frequencies. Service will also operate on the Empire Line between New York City and Albany and on the Keystone line between New York and Harrisburg, with reduced frequencies.

Passengers holding reservations that require modification are being accommodated on other trains and proactively notified by Amtrak Customer Service. A range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps and 1-800-USA-RAIL – are available to assist in travel planning.

Other corridor services, including the Amtrak Downeaster (Brunswick, Maine – Boston) and the Springfield Shuttle (New Haven, Ct. – Springfield, Mass.), are expected to operate a normal schedule.
Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.
I saw on the news 11" of snow so far in Philly. With plunging temperatures and high winds, Wednesday will not be a pleasant day for travel in the east. Part of the reason to cut service frequencies because there will be fewer people traveling on the NEC.

Hmm. Interesting choice of services to reduce. I'm guessing the NEC and Keystone are worried about catenary damage. The Empire Service? Probably it's due to the location next to the Hudson -- all kinds of nasty problems with snow and ice can happen when you're actually in a river gorge.

Long range forecasts are calling for colder than normal temperatures to persist through early February. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll be bitterly cold, but I would certainly take that jacket with you :)
This is the first year my youngest daughter has lived in NJ-we have always stayed in the south except when I was young and we were living in Detroit-just hope the weather don't mess with my travel plans-I got an awesome price on a sleeper and my 6 year old adopted grandson and his mom are going with me. Will be their first time on Amtrak. They are hoping to see snow. I am going in the summer the next time..

That sounds like low effort reasoning to me. If you ever feel like there's no interesting or important stories to discuss try reading the news from another country. Try picking up a non-fiction book. Try following an investigative journalist. Try watching a controversial documentary. Check out what happened "this day in history." The world is full of so many interesting and important stories that there's no way you could possibly consider them all in a single lifetime. And yet we casually claim whole days, weeks, and even months as "slow news" periods. Those who are willing to explore beyond their comfort zone will never be at a loss for news to discuss.
I was referring to the TV news stations, etc, that are hyping on all the "wild" weather. Apparently THEY don't think there's more worthy news stories.

I was referring to the TV news stations, etc, that are hyping on all the "wild" weather. Apparently THEY don't think there's more worthy news stories.
Don't get me started on this.... One worthy news story that's not getting anything like the coverage it merits is the 300,000 people in West Virginia without water for a week following a chemical spill--water coming out of their taps was officially deemed unsafe not just for drinking but even for washing. It's now been officially declared safe to drink--but not if you're pregnant. And what's coming out of the taps still smells and looks bad.

I get very frustrated when news media focus on fluff, because lack of focus on stories like this one faciliates their recurrence--particularly in places like WV, where industry bad guys are rarely held accountable by the legal system.

OK. End of rant, back to the weather. Going outside now to brush snow off the solar hot water panels.

Definitely not a good week to be a Mountaineer - it's 30 miles from us and we have been appalled at the response from the elected leaders. Reminds me going to New Orleans after Katrina and seeing how the powers to be decided to just level the neighborhoods they didn't want to return.

As a trained historian, "news" is purely subjective term / process. She Who Must Be Obeyed watches it, I don't.

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and we call this winter. Do the people in the south call their summer the equatorial Vortex? Is someone getting rich off this new fraise?
No, we just call it the "#$*&@$ dome of high pressure" Or at least I do. (Where I live, we get persistent high pressure systems in the summer, which means it's hot, the air is stagnant, and it doesn't rain.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back