Second time on train, how do they handle missed connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is our second time on the Amtrak. (Mom with a 6yr daughter and 7yr son)..and I have been checking the Status of the Texas Eagle into Chicago..we will be going bus from Houston, to Longview. Train from Longview to Chicago and then Train from Chicago to Lapeer, MI. I noticed that the Texas Eagle has been arriving in Chicago four or five hours late in the past few days...meaning I would miss the connection on the Bluewater train to Michigan.

How does Amtrak handle this? My father is already paying for the train trip. I'm not prepared to handle missing a train and having to pay for other transportation in the event of missed connections or hotels if we have to stay overnight.

I'm hoping this doesnt' happen and we have a smooth trip like last year, but if the train arrives late, what happens...all I need is to be stuck in Chicago with two young ones in a large city I know nothing about.

Thanks!!!

There are several ways Amtrak handles missed connections. The best solution, when available, is to put you onto a later train. If that's not an option then a reserved motor coach will be waiting to take you to your final destination. In some cases the bus will actually catch up to the train at a service stop or something. If those options aren't feasible, Amtrak puts passengers up in a hotel, free of charge, to catch the next day's train. Obviously there are many scenarios but that's the gist of it.

This is our second time on the Amtrak. (Mom with a 6yr daughter and 7yr son)..and I have been checking the Status of the Texas Eagle into Chicago..we will be going bus from Houston, to Longview. Train from Longview to Chicago and then Train from Chicago to Lapeer, MI. I noticed that the Texas Eagle has been arriving in Chicago four or five hours late in the past few days...meaning I would miss the connection on the Bluewater train to Michigan.

How does Amtrak handle this? My father is already paying for the train trip. I'm not prepared to handle missing a train and having to pay for other transportation in the event of missed connections or hotels if we have to stay overnight.

I'm hoping this doesnt' happen and we have a smooth trip like last year, but if the train arrives late, what happens...all I need is to be stuck in Chicago with two young ones in a large city I know nothing about.

Thanks!!!
Since You Will have a Guaranteed Reservation, IF you have Both Trains on the Same Rez, Amtrak will Ensure that you either get on the Next Train, a Bus or they will put yall up in a Hotel and Give you $$ for food and Transportation, they are Very Experienced in CHI doing this as Missed Connections happen in CHI more often due to Western Trains running Late than anywhere else! Have No Fears, Amtrak will Take Care of Yall! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx 4 info sorry for short post via iPhone am now on train 49 planked ltd which is 7.5 hrs late and starting to wonder what will happen in CHI. Mo one has

Enrolled to paossengers sp far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back